Is Lance going to win the Tour de France?

Ronde Champ

Guest
Hey,

Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
are many others who are equally capable.

Thanks,
Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

"Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey,
>
> Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
> are many others who are equally capable.
>
> Thanks,
> Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year. Ultimately,
Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with Mayo and Heras
having solid showings as well. Lance will not dominate as in years past,
but he'll do enough to win (assuming he avoids crashing).

If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
Jeff

On 06/24/2004 06:20 AM, in article [email protected],
"smiles" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
>> are many others who are equally capable.

> not a chance ...

Not a chance?

What kind of odds are you offering?

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:08:58 -0400, "J Jones" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year. Ultimately,
>Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with Mayo and Heras
>having solid showings as well. Lance will not dominate as in years past,
>but he'll do enough to win (assuming he avoids crashing).
>
>If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.

Ullrich will come to the Tour in the best shape of his life and half
way through will realize that he prefers eating anything and drinking
beer to winning, and will retire mid-race to take up guitar playing in
German pubs.

Mayo will charge up a climb, gapping everyone, but finally notice that
it was largely because he went left and everyone else went right.

Heras will falter, waiting far too long to find someone to lead up the
steeper climbs.

Hamilton will find out that, without the other pain to take his mind
off things, that it hurts to climb those TdF mountains. Loses big time
in the mountains.

Lance, without any other competitors to be ****** off at or motivated
to beat, will retire immediately to be a multilingual bike race
announcer. OLN will immediately hire him to replace Paul, Phil and
Bob. They'll keep the girl, er, woman. Sheryl will last be seen with
Ullrich, sort of playing guitar someplace in Germany.

TdF will be won by some Italian, or maybe Zabel. French authorities
will immediately announce that Zabel has been doing drugs for some
time. If a nameless Italian wins, it won't require an announcement.

My pick:

1. Zabel
2. Nameless Italian
3. Another Nameless Italian

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

J Jones wrote:

> I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year.
> Ultimately, Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with
> Mayo and Heras having solid showings as well. Lance will not
> dominate as in years past, but he'll do enough to win (assuming he
> avoids crashing).
>
> If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
> Jeff

I gotta agree with you on this one. It's a tad CA, but I'm good at doing
that.

Jeff (the Elder)

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:08:58 -0400, "J Jones" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year.

Ultimately,
> >Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with Mayo and Heras
> >having solid showings as well. Lance will not dominate as in years past,
> >but he'll do enough to win (assuming he avoids crashing).
> >
> >If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.

> Ullrich will come to the Tour in the best shape of his life and half
> way through will realize that he prefers eating anything and drinking
> beer to winning, and will retire mid-race to take up guitar playing in
> German pubs.
>
> Mayo will charge up a climb, gapping everyone, but finally notice that
> it was largely because he went left and everyone else went right.
>
> Heras will falter, waiting far too long to find someone to lead up the
> steeper climbs.
>
> Hamilton will find out that, without the other pain to take his mind
> off things, that it hurts to climb those TdF mountains. Loses big time
> in the mountains.
>
> Lance, without any other competitors to be ****** off at or motivated
> to beat, will retire immediately to be a multilingual bike race
> announcer. OLN will immediately hire him to replace Paul, Phil and
> Bob. They'll keep the girl, er, woman. Sheryl will last be seen with
> Ullrich, sort of playing guitar someplace in Germany.
>
> TdF will be won by some Italian, or maybe Zabel. French authorities
> will immediately announce that Zabel has been doing drugs for some
> time. If a nameless Italian wins, it won't require an announcement.
>
> My pick:
>
> 1. Zabel
> 2. Nameless Italian
> 3. Another Nameless Italian
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

You're forgetting about all those excellent French riders!

Bob C.

[email protected] (Ronde Champ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey,
> Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
> are many others who are equally capable.

Bro El Chumpo,
Why not wait until the final ITT near end of 3rd week
to answer your question? At least post some odds.
Lance, followed by Ullrich, has the best chance to win.
Then it's Hamilton, Mayo and Heras with some other racer
from somewhere else gonna surprise.

Stay safe on those early staged cobbles.

-Ken

Ronde Champ wrote:
> Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there are
> many others who are equally capable.

Although he deserves to be the favourite on paper, I think his luck will
finally run out.

--

"J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey,
> >
> > Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
> > are many others who are equally capable.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

> I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year. Ultimately,
> Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with Mayo and Heras
> having solid showings as well. Lance will not dominate as in years past,
> but he'll do enough to win (assuming he avoids crashing).
>
> If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
> Jeff

No Beloki...no Vinokourov...the field is dwindling down. I would have
loved to see those two in this TDF.

Jeff Jones wrote:
> J Jones wrote:
>
>>I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year.
>>Ultimately, Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with
>>Mayo and Heras having solid showings as well. Lance will not
>>dominate as in years past, but he'll do enough to win (assuming he
>>avoids crashing).
>>
>>If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
>>Jeff

> I gotta agree with you on this one. It's a tad CA, but I'm good at doing
> that.
>
> Jeff (the Elder)

So I'm Junior now? ;)

PS where's my book?

-Sonarrat.

In article <[email protected]>,
Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeff Jones wrote:
> > J Jones wrote:
> >
> >>I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year.
> >>Ultimately, Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with
> >>Mayo and Heras having solid showings as well. Lance will not
> >>dominate as in years past, but he'll do enough to win (assuming he
> >>avoids crashing).
> >>
> >>If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
> >>Jeff

> > I gotta agree with you on this one. It's a tad CA, but I'm good at doing
> > that.
> >
> > Jeff (the Elder)

> So I'm Junior now? ;)

No, if he's "the Elder", that would make you "the Younger", at least by
my reckoning.

--
tanx,
Howard

"The fickleness of fame and fortune's caprice
Together changed the life of Mason Reese"
Alice Donut

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

Dan
San Francisco

Ronde Champ wrote:
> Hey,
> Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there are
> many others who are equally capable.
> Thanks, Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

Anyone consider the French police busting the TdF again and putting them
all in jail for "questioning"?

Considering the tendency of the French police to "accidentally" act when
all the camera's are foccused on the event it will be questionable if
they stay away.

--

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:26:38 -0400, "psycholist" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You're forgetting about all those excellent French riders!

If I had put in 'nameless French rider', I'd get all those 'CA'
comments. I'm sticking to Zabel and the Italians.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Dan Connelly <djconnel@i_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:
> I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

> Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
a marked rider with a lesser team.

Ullrich will win.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dan Connelly <djconnel@i_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:
> > I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

> > Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

> It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
> time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
> that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
> good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
> many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
> a marked rider with a lesser team.

Ullrich form is quite strong after the Tour de Suisse. But I think
Lance is more well prepared & has a stronger team. In order for Jan to
win he will have to attack continuously in the mountains. The problem
however is that US Postal can fend off any attacks by Telekom. So
Lance is my pick barring any suprises.

> Ullrich will win.
>
> Bob Schwartz
> [email protected]

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dan Connelly <djconnel@i_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:
> > I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

> > Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

> It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
> time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
> that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
> good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
> many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
> a marked rider with a lesser team.

> Ullrich will win.

Always hold the Mayo on a Sausage (Creature).

I was going to agree that it's Jan's year - notable sign,
first people criticize him for not being in shape, then after
he wins Tour de Suisse they say, well the hard part of the Tour
is at the end so you don't want to peak too early.
(Carmichael said that but he might have been referring to Mayo.)

OTOH, Legate says it doesn't look like it will be super-hot.
That favors Lance. OTOHOH, there are only what, two actual
mountain top finishes? That could favor somebody who can get
over the top with enough team to pull back time on the final
descents. But then again, Jan is not the greatest descender.

Enough candyassing, I take Jan. With the proviso that the
winner is likely to be the contender whose team survives
the forthcoming police raids unscathed. I don't have a
clue who that's gonna be.

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
> time of year since 1997.

That's what everybody said LAST year.

--

Remove CLOTHES to reply