Is Lance going to win the Tour de France?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Champ, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Ronde Champ

    Ronde Champ Guest

    Hey,

    Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
    are many others who are equally capable.

    Thanks,
    Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

    Tags:

  2. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey,
    >
    > Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
    > are many others who are equally capable.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

    I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year. Ultimately,
    Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with Mayo and Heras
    having solid showings as well. Lance will not dominate as in years past,
    but he'll do enough to win (assuming he avoids crashing).

    If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
    Jeff

  3. smiles

    smiles Guest

    "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
    > are many others who are equally capable.

    not a chance ...

  4. smiles

    smiles Guest

    "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
    > are many others who are equally capable.

    He will win ...

  5. On 06/24/2004 06:20 AM, in article [email protected],
    "smiles" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
    >> are many others who are equally capable.

    > not a chance ...

    Not a chance?

    What kind of odds are you offering?

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  6. On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:08:58 -0400, "J Jones" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year. Ultimately,
    >Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with Mayo and Heras
    >having solid showings as well. Lance will not dominate as in years past,
    >but he'll do enough to win (assuming he avoids crashing).
    >
    >If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.

    Ullrich will come to the Tour in the best shape of his life and half
    way through will realize that he prefers eating anything and drinking
    beer to winning, and will retire mid-race to take up guitar playing in
    German pubs.

    Mayo will charge up a climb, gapping everyone, but finally notice that
    it was largely because he went left and everyone else went right.

    Heras will falter, waiting far too long to find someone to lead up the
    steeper climbs.

    Hamilton will find out that, without the other pain to take his mind
    off things, that it hurts to climb those TdF mountains. Loses big time
    in the mountains.

    Lance, without any other competitors to be pissed off at or motivated
    to beat, will retire immediately to be a multilingual bike race
    announcer. OLN will immediately hire him to replace Paul, Phil and
    Bob. They'll keep the girl, er, woman. Sheryl will last be seen with
    Ullrich, sort of playing guitar someplace in Germany.

    TdF will be won by some Italian, or maybe Zabel. French authorities
    will immediately announce that Zabel has been doing drugs for some
    time. If a nameless Italian wins, it won't require an announcement.

    My pick:

    1. Zabel
    2. Nameless Italian
    3. Another Nameless Italian

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  7. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    J Jones wrote:

    > I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year.
    > Ultimately, Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with
    > Mayo and Heras having solid showings as well. Lance will not
    > dominate as in years past, but he'll do enough to win (assuming he
    > avoids crashing).
    >
    > If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
    > Jeff

    I gotta agree with you on this one. It's a tad CA, but I'm good at doing
    that.

    Jeff (the Elder)

  8. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:08:58 -0400, "J Jones" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year.

    Ultimately,
    > >Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with Mayo and Heras
    > >having solid showings as well. Lance will not dominate as in years past,
    > >but he'll do enough to win (assuming he avoids crashing).
    > >
    > >If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.

    > Ullrich will come to the Tour in the best shape of his life and half
    > way through will realize that he prefers eating anything and drinking
    > beer to winning, and will retire mid-race to take up guitar playing in
    > German pubs.
    >
    > Mayo will charge up a climb, gapping everyone, but finally notice that
    > it was largely because he went left and everyone else went right.
    >
    > Heras will falter, waiting far too long to find someone to lead up the
    > steeper climbs.
    >
    > Hamilton will find out that, without the other pain to take his mind
    > off things, that it hurts to climb those TdF mountains. Loses big time
    > in the mountains.
    >
    > Lance, without any other competitors to be pissed off at or motivated
    > to beat, will retire immediately to be a multilingual bike race
    > announcer. OLN will immediately hire him to replace Paul, Phil and
    > Bob. They'll keep the girl, er, woman. Sheryl will last be seen with
    > Ullrich, sort of playing guitar someplace in Germany.
    >
    > TdF will be won by some Italian, or maybe Zabel. French authorities
    > will immediately announce that Zabel has been doing drugs for some
    > time. If a nameless Italian wins, it won't require an announcement.
    >
    > My pick:
    >
    > 1. Zabel
    > 2. Nameless Italian
    > 3. Another Nameless Italian
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...

    You're forgetting about all those excellent French riders!

    Bob C.

  9. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    [email protected] (Ronde Champ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey,
    > Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
    > are many others who are equally capable.

    Bro El Chumpo,
    Why not wait until the final ITT near end of 3rd week
    to answer your question? At least post some odds.
    Lance, followed by Ullrich, has the best chance to win.
    Then it's Hamilton, Mayo and Heras with some other racer
    from somewhere else gonna surprise.

    Stay safe on those early staged cobbles.

    -Ken

    > Thanks,
    > Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

  10. patch70

    patch70 Guest

    Ronde Champ wrote:
    > Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there are
    > many others who are equally capable.

    Although he deserves to be the favourite on paper, I think his luck will
    finally run out.

    --

  11. Andre

    Andre Guest

    "J Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Ronde Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there
    > > are many others who are equally capable.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

    > I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year. Ultimately,
    > Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with Mayo and Heras
    > having solid showings as well. Lance will not dominate as in years past,
    > but he'll do enough to win (assuming he avoids crashing).
    >
    > If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
    > Jeff

    No Beloki...no Vinokourov...the field is dwindling down. I would have
    loved to see those two in this TDF.

  12. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    Jeff Jones wrote:
    > J Jones wrote:
    >
    >>I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year.
    >>Ultimately, Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with
    >>Mayo and Heras having solid showings as well. Lance will not
    >>dominate as in years past, but he'll do enough to win (assuming he
    >>avoids crashing).
    >>
    >>If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
    >>Jeff

    > I gotta agree with you on this one. It's a tad CA, but I'm good at doing
    > that.
    >
    > Jeff (the Elder)

    So I'm Junior now? ;)

    PS where's my book?

    -Sonarrat.

  13. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jeff Jones wrote:
    > > J Jones wrote:
    > >
    > >>I think he'll win it, but it will be very close like last year.
    > >>Ultimately, Ullrich and Hamilton will be his main competitors, with
    > >>Mayo and Heras having solid showings as well. Lance will not
    > >>dominate as in years past, but he'll do enough to win (assuming he
    > >>avoids crashing).
    > >>
    > >>If Lance doesn't win, I think it will be Ullrich.
    > >>Jeff

    > > I gotta agree with you on this one. It's a tad CA, but I'm good at doing
    > > that.
    > >
    > > Jeff (the Elder)

    > So I'm Junior now? ;)

    No, if he's "the Elder", that would make you "the Younger", at least by
    my reckoning.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "The fickleness of fame and fortune's caprice
    Together changed the life of Mason Reese"
    Alice Donut

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  14. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

    Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

    Dan
    San Francisco

  15. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski Guest

    Ronde Champ wrote:
    > Hey,
    > Is Lance going to win the Tour de France? It just seems like there are
    > many others who are equally capable.
    > Thanks, Ronde Champ (formerly Ronde Chumpion)

    Anyone consider the French police busting the TdF again and putting them
    all in jail for "questioning"?

    Considering the tendency of the French police to "accidentally" act when
    all the camera's are foccused on the event it will be questionable if
    they stay away.

    --

  16. On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:26:38 -0400, "psycholist" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >You're forgetting about all those excellent French riders!

    If I had put in 'nameless French rider', I'd get all those 'CA'
    comments. I'm sticking to Zabel and the Italians.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  17. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:
    > I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

    > Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

    It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
    time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
    that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
    good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
    many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
    a marked rider with a lesser team.

    Ullrich will win.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  18. Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:
    > > I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

    > > Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

    > It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
    > time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
    > that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
    > good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
    > many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
    > a marked rider with a lesser team.

    Ullrich form is quite strong after the Tour de Suisse. But I think
    Lance is more well prepared & has a stronger team. In order for Jan to
    win he will have to attack continuously in the mountains. The problem
    however is that US Postal can fend off any attacks by Telekom. So
    Lance is my pick barring any suprises.

  19. Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:
    > > I'm going to CA on this one, as I picked Ullrich in Jan, and go with Mayo.

    > > Nobody can hold Mayo on the climbs.

    > It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
    > time of year since 1997. Mayo is like the quarterback
    > that comes in when the game is out of reach and looks
    > good when the defense is focused on not giving up too
    > many points too quickly. It's different coming in as
    > a marked rider with a lesser team.

    > Ullrich will win.

    Always hold the Mayo on a Sausage (Creature).

    I was going to agree that it's Jan's year - notable sign,
    first people criticize him for not being in shape, then after
    he wins Tour de Suisse they say, well the hard part of the Tour
    is at the end so you don't want to peak too early.
    (Carmichael said that but he might have been referring to Mayo.)

    OTOH, Legate says it doesn't look like it will be super-hot.
    That favors Lance. OTOHOH, there are only what, two actual
    mountain top finishes? That could favor somebody who can get
    over the top with enough team to pull back time on the final
    descents. But then again, Jan is not the greatest descender.

    Enough candyassing, I take Jan. With the proviso that the
    winner is likely to be the contender whose team survives
    the forthcoming police raids unscathed. I don't have a
    clue who that's gonna be.

  20. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    Bob Schwartz wrote:

    > It's Ullrich's year. He hasn't looked this good at this
    > time of year since 1997.

    That's what everybody said LAST year.

    --

    Remove CLOTHES to reply