Is Lance the best current American athlete?

DV1976 said:
1) Eventually someone on the "clean side" of the fence would try something "dirty" just to give them an edge... It's human nature...

Exactly! Sports were "only for clean athletes" to begin with. Until athletes found they could win consistently by taking PED's that their competitors weren't taking.

There's no question that this is exactly what would happen.

MJtje said:
Look Lance is the best endurance athlete in the world. See procycling.....for the story. It just depends which sport you like. If you like basketball and you probably don't no anything about cycling you would say o'neil or Jordan is the best american athlete. But the current one I would say armstrong. Too bad cycling isn't a mainstream sport like it is in europe!

I agree that Lance is the best endurance cyclist in the world, but the best endurance athlete overall could be Pam Reed. Pam Reed, 44, time winner of the Bad Water Ultramarathon has ran longer then anybody. She should be consider the best endurance athlete because she has ran farther then anybody, man or woman, without stopping. Her record is 301.08 miles. It took her 79 hours and 57 seconds.

Her quote after finishing "I'm disappointed that I didn't go faster."

She has my vote for #1 endurance athlete.

rlipscomb0 said:
I agree that Lance is the best endurance cyclist in the world, but the best endurance athlete overall could be Pam Reed. Pam Reed, 44, time winner of the Bad Water Ultramarathon has ran longer then anybody. She should be consider the best endurance athlete because she has ran farther then anybody, man or woman, without stopping. Her record is 301.08 miles. It took her 79 hours and 57 seconds.

Her quote after finishing "I'm disappointed that I didn't go faster."

She has my vote for #1 endurance athlete.

Not sure if one amazing feat is enough to make this woman the best current endurance athlete. Also, if your numbers (and my math) are correct, her average pace for the entire "run" was approximately 15.75 minutes per mile or about 3.8 miles per hour, which is (for me anyway) a walking pace. I don't mean to take anything away from a truly amazing accomplishment. Even walking 301 straight miles without stopping is unbelievable! But greatest current athlete? Not in my opinion.

meehs said:
Not sure if one amazing feat is enough to make this woman the best current endurance athlete. Also, if your numbers (and my math) are correct, her average pace for the entire "run" was approximately 15.75 minutes per mile or about 3.8 miles per hour, which is (for me anyway) a walking pace. I don't mean to take anything away from a truly amazing accomplishment. Even walking 301 straight miles without stopping is unbelievable! But greatest current athlete? Not in my opinion.

I think this woman is a step above Lance in my opinion. However neither of these two are "America's greatest endurance athlete," but the do rank very high on the list. I think the top spot belongs to a man or women from the running community like Frank Shorter and Bill Rodgers.

Or how about Ironman greats like Dave Scott or Mark Allen.