Is Lance the best current American athlete?

DTMwood said:
People used to consider whomever was the best at the Decathalon to be the best athlete.
How many people really consider being a decathele. I think the decathletes are often the track and field people who weren't great at anything. If you are really good at say the 400 meters, I think I would just focus on that and not become a decathlete. Furthermore, how many people could be good at decathalon and no know it. If you are incredibly fast in the 100 meters it is easy to figure out, but the best decathelte could just be playing football.

Lance has done a great job. I respect the guy. but quote me on this... He would be NO WHERE without his team. Not many people get to see what the team really does. Lance Lance Lance. :rolleyes:

derKaiser said:
Cases could be made for lots of great athletes, but most Americans tend to designate Armstrong as the best of the best of American athletes. Is he the best? I think so, but not by the margin most would argue.

Well, this will tick a lot of folks off, but the only multi-dimensional athlete on that list is Barry. In fact, I would argue that baseball is our only sport that requires excellence in multiple areas to be considred a "great".

Bonds is a five-tool player. In his prime he could hit, hit for power, run, field and throw. Many forget that he started as a center fielder, one the two most demanding defensive positions on the diamon (shortstop is the other).

At 40, he isn't the defensive star he once was, and his speed on the basepaths has been diminished, but then that 's not as valauble askill as it was when he came up in '86. But he has demolished the single-season records for OBP, OPS, slugging percentage, walks and homers. He will very shortly be the third man to hit 700 career homers. At 40, his OBP is .612 (the MLB record is .585 and it's Barry's), he's slugging .828, a tad below his own record of .863. Going into tonight's game he's walked 198 times, which ties his own single-season record. No other athlete alters the strategy of the game he plays the way Barry alters a baseball game.

One could reasonably argue that his skills are the result of winning the gene pool, because his remarkable visual acuity and hand/eye coordination are largely responsible for the above records and his amazing control of the strike zone. But nonetheless, he's in uncharted waters. We've never had a ballpalyer - even the Babe - who was this old and we are still unable to define a career peak. He does what Ted Williams called the hardest thing in sports - hitting a pitched ball - better than anyone alive and anyone I've ever been fortunate enought to see. I'm old enough to have seen Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson in their primes, and Teddy Ballgame in his twilight years. Barry is simply the best.

The rest of your list are One-Note Johnnies. Does this mean he is the greatest American athlete? I'm not sure that's something that can be easily defined. But I do know he dominates his sport, even at 40, in ways none of the others dominated theirs, even in their primes.

Yes, I'm a huge baseball fan. :D

I think this whole post it bias. This is a cycling forum. If you like the NBA or the NFL better than cycling why are you here?

"Kid" said:
I think this whole post it bias. This is a cycling forum. If you like the NBA or the NFL better than cycling why are you here?

I am the Bike thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Is that it?

Why can't someone enjoy cycling - for recreation and fitness, not competition to the death (which is a very off-putting subset of this hobby) - and still follow other sports? Because I ride a bicycle I have to think cyclists supreme above all other athletes?

Or am I not allowed other dimensions to my existence? I love music. I design and build vacuum tube audio amplifiers from the Golden Age. I have a cyclist friend who builds state-of-the-art turntables. (Do you even know what those are?) I love to cook and can recognize a good bottle of wine. I know how to fit a tailor-made suit and can dress with the best of them. Does this make me a cycling heretic or must my bicycle always be my first and only consideration?

What horseshit!

Triodelover said:
Well, this will tick a lot of folks off, but the only multi-dimensional athlete on that list is Barry. In fact, I would argue that baseball is our only sport that requires excellence in multiple areas to be considred a "great".

Bonds is a five-tool player. In his prime he could hit, hit for power, run, field and throw. Many forget that he started as a center fielder, one the two most demanding defensive positions on the diamon (shortstop is the other).

At 40, he isn't the defensive star he once was, and his speed on the basepaths has been diminished, but then that 's not as valauble askill as it was when he came up in '86. But he has demolished the single-season records for OBP, OPS, slugging percentage, walks and homers. He will very shortly be the third man to hit 700 career homers. At 40, his OBP is .612 (the MLB record is .585 and it's Barry's), he's slugging .828, a tad below his own record of .863. Going into tonight's game he's walked 198 times, which ties his own single-season record. No other athlete alters the strategy of the game he plays the way Barry alters a baseball game.

One could reasonably argue that his skills are the result of winning the gene pool, because his remarkable visual acuity and hand/eye coordination are largely responsible for the above records and his amazing control of the strike zone. But nonetheless, he's in uncharted waters. We've never had a ballpalyer - even the Babe - who was this old and we are still unable to define a career peak. He does what Ted Williams called the hardest thing in sports - hitting a pitched ball - better than anyone alive and anyone I've ever been fortunate enought to see. I'm old enough to have seen Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson in their primes, and Teddy Ballgame in his twilight years. Barry is simply the best.

The rest of your list are One-Note Johnnies. Does this mean he is the greatest American athlete? I'm not sure that's something that can be easily defined. But I do know he dominates his sport, even at 40, in ways none of the others dominated theirs, even in their primes.

This may tick you off, but I hardly think that baseball requires one to be such a great all around athlete. You're talking about a game that lasts a few hours, but in which most of the players spend the vast majority of that time either sitting on the bench or standing in the field waiting for something to happen. Heck, only the pitcher and catcher on each team are "actively" involved for half of the game. I think that the fact that at 40 he's still having an impact on the sport is proof that the baseball isn't nearly as athletically demanding as other sports.

I'm not taking anything away from Barry. He's definitely a very gifted, dedicated, hard training athlete. But, having skill sets that are used once every two or three innings to hit a ball, and maybe a couple times an inning to make a defensive play don't compare to the athletic requirements of many other sports.

Shreklookalike said:
This may tick you off, but I hardly think that baseball requires one to be such a great all around athlete. You're talking about a game that lasts a few hours, but in which most of the players spend the vast majority of that time either sitting on the bench or standing in the field waiting for something to happen. Heck, only the pitcher and catcher on each team are "actively" involved for half of the game. I think that the fact that at 40 he's still having an impact on the sport is proof that the baseball isn't nearly as athletically demanding as other sports.

I'm not taking anything away from Barry. He's definitely a very gifted, dedicated, hard training athlete. But, having skill sets that are used once every two or three innings to hit a ball, and maybe a couple times an inning to make a defensive play don't compare to the athletic requirements of many other sports.
I have to agree on the whole Barry Bonds (and most baseball players). yes Bonds used to be good defensively but those skills faded as he became more of a power hitter. As as being an athlete just ask John Kruk. I am not saying Bonds isn't an athlete but as far as physical conditioning LA is far suprerior and Bonds probably has well I can't even think of something to compare his hand co-ord and reaction times to.

Overall I think it is next to impossible to compare athletes across sports because every sport requires such different physical, mental, co-ordination talents etc.

Baryy Bonds couldn't do what LA does, LA couldn't do what Baryy does, Ray lewis couldn't do what the others do or vice versa. That is to say maybe they could do it but none of them at the same level the others show in their individual sport.

I think Tyler Hamilton did a good job of saying it speaking of his Olympic experience.

"Seeing that many top athletes - in various shapes and sizes - milling around was a sight in itself. I called my wife one night and remarked that it was amazing how many ways the human body could be perfected. It was like looking at a thousand different kinds of art all at once. "
http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6872.0.html

Each sport emphasizes something different. It's too hard to compare between sports. Just respect what each athelete is able to do.

What would you do have a quatrathalon (?) where each player shot hoops, hit batting practice, rode an ITT, did punt-pass-and-kick? Why not add a 100 yard dash, javelin throw, single skull, clean and jerk, 100 m free-style, trap shooting, parallel bars, and formula 1 time trial? Why not pie eating? We're all good at something.

what about peyton manning, T.O., ray lewis and other great football players or baseball players, not to mention other sports. der kaiser you are way off. by the way,if you think jerry rice is the best player in the nfl now what you don't know about football could fill a warehouse. you are so far out of line it's exasperating. :confused:

mattv2099 said:
Lance isn't very dominant in his sport. Lance is very dominant in one race in his sport. He's no Jordan. Eddy Mercx was the Jordan of cycling.
If you include dopers, Barry Bonds.

derKaiser said:
Cases could be made for lots of great athletes, but most Americans tend to designate Armstrong as the best of the best of American athletes. Is he the best? I think so, but not by the margin most would argue.

Michael Phelps

derKaiser said:

Well it's a tough contest to nominate the best American athlete.

He's up there with Barry Bonds and Marion Jones for the top spot.

Triodelover said:

He's another dopeur is he not ?
Himself and Armstrong are in good comapny so.

Wasn't Bonds trainer named in the Balco affair ?

danm it i voted for shaq instead of lance...lol now that's something i'd love to seethat whale on a trek going up Vonteau

danm it i voted for shaq instead of lance...lol now that's something i'd love to seethat whale on a trek going up Ventoux

Triodelover said:

I think all athletes are multi-dimensional. Lance is also a five-tool athlete: he can pedal, pedal for power, sprint, climb, and catch musettes while riding with no-hands! I think it would be hard to play baseball if you could not run. Isn't Barry a six-tool athlete since he walks sometimes? :)

Yes, I'm a huge cycling fan. And a huge music lover, art lover, and plain old lover of life. :D