Is "light weight" carbon wheel not strong enough for a hard braking?

531aussie,

The Euskatel-Euskadi rider 'appeared' in the slo-mo to collide with his front wheel at an angle-of-attack very similar to the doggie impact. His wheel was less cocked as he sailed over the handlebars (ouch!)...at least that's my view of the two video comparison.

The carbon front wheel in the doggie strike (and I HAVE hit a huge Newfoundland male dog squarely in his shoulders a few years ago!) was strong enough to withstand countless potholes, railroad track jumps and Lord knows what else it was subjected to in its' racing life. I'm fairly certain it could handle striking the fairly soft mass of the dog without folding up. The dog is a much more mobile object than a 30 mph hard landing on a road surface after flying a set of tracks.

Like I said, and it's just my opinion based on only the video, I think the wheel buckled under side load. As often is the case I could be completely wrong!

Regards,
Campybob

yes, there are similarities, but I'm not about to claim that it was identical, coz I'll get hammered again. :) I think it was different enough to suggest that the Euskatel guy's wheel was under less lateral force at the point of impact. I reckon Burhardt's wheel got jammed on the road (as the tyre gripped) on the angle

I reckon the Euskatel guy was in more control than Burghardt (even though the Euskatel guy looks like he was going faster), and it looked like he almost stopped at Credit Agricole guy and "pole vaulted" over him