Is "light weight" carbon wheel not strong enough for a hard braking?

hd reynolds said:
GD4049995Stage-nine-Val-dIser-8324.jpg

[/size]
this shot is well AFTER the wheel has already busted. It wasn't on that angle when it first broke

eh....whatever

I feel like I'm in Bizzaro World: everyone on the planet has gone nuts except for me

6a00c22523abd6f21900cdf7e27e54094f-200pi

That is actually about 5 degrees away from where it broke.

the euskatel rider's wheel didn't break because it is not a one piece formed piece of carbon, and he hit perpendicularly to the obstacle.

And steel frames can withstand nothing because one crumpled when he hit a car with the wheel perpendicular. That one situation must automatically prove that steel frames aren't durable.

We can't really compare accidents, just like we can't say that somebody was thrown from their car without a seatbelt and lived while another in a different car crashed died, so seatbelts are bad.

The best way to solve this is by somebody stepping up, buying the same wheel in this crash, then buying another quality non-carbon wheel and with a vice and weights seeing which one breaks first.

531Aussie said:
the wheels is breaking here, right at the point of impact, and you can't exactly say the wheel is sideways.

lightweight_3.jpg
I'm not sure why you say the wheel is breaking here. It seems to be flexing a bit but it's ridiculous to say that failure has already occured at this point.

Uhm, it's time for reality check folks. First, the wheel did not taco just because it was turned. It taco'd because it took at an impact, possibly in direction out of the plane of the wheel.

Also, this doesn't necessarily say anything about the wheel, unless someone here secretly collected data from sensors all over the wheel and then did an experiment, with other wheels, wherein the test conditions were exactly like those in this crash.

The point made above about the wheel appearing to just be flexing is a good point. I don't imagine too many people here have actually flexed a wheel laterally, in a controlled test, to failure, so it's likely not many here can say with any accuracy that the wheel was failing at "that" point.

With respect to other points: not only can you not safely brake with the wheel turned at 80 degrees (or even 45 degrees or 30 degrees) with a bike at speed, you can't even safely turn the wheel 80 degrees, without braking. You still crash.

It's kinda obvious from the video that the dog to a good thunkin', so there was a significant impulse imparted to the wheel.

And for the other side.......Lightweight has greater things to worry about: namely their drop in quality control, which has been serious over the last year. Serious enough that some of their biggest dealers/supporters are dropping them.

raptor3x said:
I'm not sure why you say the wheel is breaking here. It seems to be flexing a bit but it's ridiculous to say that failure has already occured at this point.
if you pause the video, you'll see that that is the exact point the wheel breaks

531Aussie said:
if you pause the video, you'll see that that is the exact point the wheel breaks

Well, you can't say that because the resolution of the video isn't high enough to make that determination. All you can say is that the wheel is flexing. The frame rate is also way too slow.

alienator said:
Well, you can't say that because the resolution of the video isn't high enough to make that determination. All you can say is that the wheel is flexing. The frame rate is also way too slow.
I think he means that in the next frame the wheel fails.

Dont worry Nev I guarantee you that if this event happened to anyone of these tools on their weekend warrior outings they would all (every single one of them) go crying back to the manufacturer for a refund.

every.single.one.of.them.

They would demand, cry, sook, whinge, whine, abuse and generally all throw a little 'ive been robbed' tantrum. "I was only going 25km/h and barely touched the dog and my wheel just 'folded over'. I could of been serously injured...rar rar."

Dont get fooled by their internet bravado. ;)

You know, one of the interesting things I've just learned about the sleep deprivation you experience when you bring a newborn home, is that you become super vague and loose about 50 IQ points.

Yet even in this state, this is still the dumbest thread I've read in months.

Race componentry breaks when not 'used' in the manner it was designed for.

Everyone figured that out now? Greeaaaat.

:rolleyes::p:)

every bike forum on the interweb should be renamed "Carbon Bling-Lover's Forum For People To Defend to The Death Their Overpriced Weak, Bling Junk"

And as that guy hinted at on the Weight Weenie Forum, that forum should be renamed: "Lightweight Lovers Forum"

:p

For instance carbon, posts and bars. What a farkin joke! Everyone knows carbon posts and bars are a stooopid gag being played on us by the bike marketers, because the only purpose they serve is bling, and they break, yet when someone gets on to complain about their post or bars breaking, the carbonphile mafia get on with their "user error" theories. Fairdinkum! What a toss

Thylacine said:
You know, one of the interesting things I've just learned about the sleep deprivation you experience when you bring a newborn home, is that you become super vague and loose about 50 IQ points.

Yet even in this state, this is still the dumbest thread I've read in months.

Race componentry breaks when not 'used' in the manner it was designed for.

Everyone figured that out now? Greeaaaat.

:rolleyes::p:)

"...dumbest thread I've read in months". It's a matter of opinion, you're entitled to your opinion. But you are also more than willing to add to this "dumbest thread". You're on the wagon. Figured that out yet? Greeaaaat.

Go look after your newborn.

531Aussie said:
every bike forum on the interweb should be renamed "Carbon Bling-Lover's Forum For People To Defend to The Death Their Overpriced Weak, Bling Junk"

And as that guy hinted at on the Weight Weenie Forum, that forum should be renamed: "Lightweight Lovers Forum"

:p

For instance carbon posts and bars. What a farkin joke! Everyone knows carbon posts and bars are a stooopid gag being played on us by the bike marketers, because the only purpose they serve is bling, and they break, yet when someone gets on to complain about their post or bars breaking, the carbonphile mafia get on with their "user error" theories. Fairdinkum! What a toss
Ah, but the majority of carbon parts are perfectly safe. Plenty of metal parts break as well.

Though I agree, carbon stems and posts are unnecessary, but I like the look of the new Zeus variable radius bars, they weigh around 190g and have a wing top section.

The only thing I dislike is you and many others dismiss these wheels as weak. That is the only failure they have had in that race. Don't call them **** because of one instance and an awkward situation. There is just as much chance of these wheels breaking whilst braking or steering under normal riding circumstances.

^Fair enough. I've calmed down a bit since last week. :p

What really set me off were the dudes on BF and Weight Weenies saying that no wheel in the world would've survived the same stack, which was just too much to cop. I couldn't farkin believe it

531Aussie said:
^Fair enough. I've calmed down a bit since last week. :p

What really set me off were the dudes on BF and Weight Weenies saying that no wheel in the world would've survived the same stack, which was just too much to cop. I couldn't farkin believe it
They are an ultra-light one piece carbon construction. A part of that type will 99% of the time be less durable than its alloy counterpart.

Watch the video...after the Euskatel-Euskadi rider T-bones the fallen Credit Agricole rider, he picks up his bike and rejoins the peloton:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/embedvideo.html?p=cycling/tour-de-france/index#

Every accident/crack up is different. I folded up a steel Pinarello Treviso and the Campy strada (aluminum, 32 hole/3x) front rim ended up in THREE pieces after a Buick proved it was the stronger machine in that fight. The fork, top tube and down tube were all toast, but the wheel still shattered. Campy Stradas were hardened, but hardly could be considered 'weak' by any stretch of the imagination.

It's just my OPINION (after watching the dog getting biffed video) that the carbon rim collapsed not from the force of the impact with the mutt, but from the side-loading. The rim appears to break at two locations and I'm wondering if the low spoke count contributed to the inability to handle the sudden side load?

Just an opinion, my you.

CAMPYBOB said:
Watch the video...after the Euskatel-Euskadi rider T-bones the fallen Credit Agricole rider, he picks up his bike and rejoins the peloton:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/embedvideo.html?p=cycling/tour-de-france/index#

I guess I could ramble on about, "see, that wheel didn't collapse", but this incident obviously looks a bit different, and even it appeared indentical, there would never be any way of proving that the impact was comparable

Hi, this post is very informative; however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

sharrychrist said:
Hi, this post is very informative; however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
does Jesus love me? :)