Is Linear LWB best for me?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Charlie, May 18, 2003.

  1. Charlie

    Charlie New Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2003
    I am 51. I have plenty of experience with regular bikes. I test rode a Linear bike. I also test rode some other linear bike (short wheel base) that was the most difficult thing I ever rode. I probably need a long wheel base.

    I am 5 feet 10.5 inches tall and weight 225 pounds. I want comfort, comfort, and comfort. I’m not particular.

    I have spotted an older Linear LWB above seat stearing for sale. I will probably get it AFTER I get my rack mounted and see that the bike will fit on it. It is difficult to find recumbents to look at and test.

    I have read what I can find on the internet. Do yall think I am making the right choice?

    Charlie
    Northeast Texas
    :rolleyes:

    Tags:

  2. Welcome to world of bents...the secret handshake instructions follow after you've purchased
    the Linear.
    -----------------------------------
    "Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am 51. I have plenty of experience with regular bikes. I test rode a Linear bike. I also test
    > rode some other linear bike (short wheel base) that was the most difficult thing I ever rode. I
    > probably need a long wheel base.
    >
    > I am 5 feet 10.5 inches tall and weight 225 pounds. I want comfort, comfort, and comfort. I'm not
    > particular.
    >
    > I have spotted an older Linear LWB above seat stearing for sale. I will probably get it AFTER I
    > get my rack mounted and see that the bike will fit on it. It is difficult to find recumbents to
    > look at and test.
    >
    > I have read what I can find on the internet. Do yall think I am making the right choice?
    >
    > Charlie Northeast Texas :rolleyes:

  3. Charlie

    Charlie New Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2003
    Thanks Wile E. Coyote,

    But, that's not very helpful.

    BTW, what is a "world of bents"? What is a "secret handshake"? I'm new to this new terminology.

    Charlie

  4. "Charlie" skrev...
    > I am 51. I have plenty of experience with regular bikes. I test rode a Linear bike. I also test
    > rode some other linear bike (short wheel base) that was the most difficult thing I ever rode. I
    > probably need a long wheel base.

    I guess you could call long wheel base bikes the limos or cadillacs of the recumbents. Very smooth
    sailing. Short wheel base recumbents are the sports cars: more responsive and require your body to
    learn new reflexes in most cases. Thats probably why you felt it was difficult to handle. But in
    reality you probably just needed more practice on it. Its like learning to ride a diamond frame,
    once you get the knack you never forget it. IMHO of course.

    Mikael

  5. your question was on whether or not you should buy a Linear LWB, under being helpfull the correct
    reply is...no one here can suggest you buy anything. The standard line is try/experience every bent
    you can lay your hands on (in your price range) and then you decide which bent floats your boat the
    most. As for Linears, the company fell off the planet for a few years and has been revived
    recently...so getting parts may not be a problem now that the bent is back.

    LWBs and CLWBs, both with ASS are (IMHO) easier to learn how to ride. Going from a DF to a SWB USS
    is not all that easy and even getting used to the High BB with an ASS SWB takes practice.

    The world of bents, this is a state of mind as well as never having enough $ in your bank account to
    handle the bent addiction. You know you are in the world of bentdom when you find you actually
    understand terms like LWB/ASS/BB etc. and you begin to incorporate these terms in your everyday
    writing/speech.

    The secret handshake tends to have both parties ignore eye contact and each focuses on the other
    guys bent.

    When you become more hardcore you begin to offer sacrifices to your bent, give her a name, talk to
    her (be concerned if she talks back to you) , caress her, keep her happy with Boeshield and polish
    her frame daily.

    After a time you will plan out your day around your bent, you will look at your wife, look at your
    bent and realize the bent can be more fun but in a non-carnal way.

    Wives hate it when they think we are enjoying ourselves on our bents, so we need to learn to lie to
    them, after every ride we bitch and complain about how unforgiving the bent was, how awful the ride
    was, horrendous traffic etc., they see us smile and they'll want a bent tandem for "quality time"
    together, then want their own bent and they'll realize they don't need us anymore...except in the
    carnal sense.

    I gotta go to sleep now...the wife is growling.
    "Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks Wile E. Coyote,
    >
    > But, that's not very helpful.
    >
    > BTW, what is a "world of bents"? What is a "secret handshake"? I'm new to this new terminology.
    >
    > Charlie
    >

    > Originally posted by Wile E.Coyote Welcome to world of bents...the secret handshake instructions
    > follow after you've purchased the Linear.

  6. Tbradster

    Tbradster Guest

    I have owned a Linear for 7 years and like the bike very much. However, the above seat steering
    version of the Linear has a lot of "tiller," making tight turns difficult. Make sure you ride the
    bike and practice maneuvering before you buy.

    The underseat steering Linear is a superior design IMHO. If you want over seat steering, the RANS
    bikes (Stratus, Tailwind) have less tiller.

    Brad Good luck!

  7. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Underseat steer version of the Linear is an excellent touring recumbent. Overseat steer version is a bit of a bugger, rides as ungainly as it looks.

    Oh and if you get a foldable Linear uphill they creak a lot, actually they CREAK A LOT!!!

  8. John W

    John W Guest

    If you go with a Linear get the underseat steering version of the LWB model. Tiller (like on a boat,
    side to side swing) is enormous on the overseat steering model. You are best with the LWB with 20" x
    26" wheel configuration and USS. Try to go with a non-folding model because the folders creak a lot.

    Stay away from the SWB Linear. This was one of the worse handling bents of all time. I think very
    few were ever sold.

    John

    "Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am 51. I have plenty of experience with regular bikes. I test rode a Linear bike. I also test
    > rode some other linear bike (short wheel base) that was the most difficult thing I ever rode. I
    > probably need a long wheel base.
    >
    > I am 5 feet 10.5 inches tall and weight 225 pounds. I want comfort, comfort, and comfort. I'm not
    > particular.
    >
    > I have spotted an older Linear LWB above seat stearing for sale. I will probably get it AFTER I
    > get my rack mounted and see that the bike will fit on it. It is difficult to find recumbents to
    > look at and test.
    >
    > I have read what I can find on the internet. Do yall think I am making the right choice?
    >
    > Charlie Northeast Texas :rolleyes:

  9. Yikesbikes

    Yikesbikes Guest

    I have a Linear Compact Long Wheel Base, with Under Seat Steering. I love it. it was not hard to
    learn. I have also driven Above seat steering models, and the USS gives you the best recumbent
    experience, in my opinion. I have circulation problems in my hands, so ASS would be as hand-numbing
    as my upright bike. No problems on the USS. I am just about the same size and age as you.

    Ride the bike first. If you like it, and it meets your needs buy it. Linear's are great bikes.

    Wayne

    Charlie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am 51. I have plenty of experience with regular bikes. I test rode a Linear bike. I also test
    > rode some other linear bike (short wheel base) that was the most difficult thing I ever rode. I
    > probably need a long wheel base.
    >
    > I am 5 feet 10.5 inches tall and weight 225 pounds. I want comfort, comfort, and comfort. I?m not
    > particular.
    >
    > I have spotted an older Linear LWB above seat stearing for sale. I will probably get it AFTER I
    > get my rack mounted and see that the bike will fit on it. It is difficult to find recumbents to
    > look at and test.
    >
    > I have read what I can find on the internet. Do yall think I am making the right choice?
    >
    > Charlie Northeast Texas :rolleyes:

  10. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    Linear LWB'S are great touring bikes and relaxing to ride. The folders DON'T creak if you do one
    thing...open all the joints and smear each mating surface with silicone sealer and then
    reassemble. Creaks will be gone for a very long time. I don't like extreme SWB bents, but the
    Linear version sold pretty well, actually, but it's in the category of the Rans Rocket as far as
    I'm concerned. Chas