is lying down after eating bad for digestion?

ville terminale wrote:
> i heard it is. is it?

Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

Jill

On 14 Feb 2004 10:44:34 -0800, [email protected] (ville
terminale) wrote:

>i heard it is. is it?

People who suffer from heartburn or acid reflux (GERD) often have a weakness in the muscle that's
supposed to keep stomach contents from rising back up into the esophagus. One of the recommendations
to avoid this is to keep gravity on the job -- i.e., the more upright you are, the less chance for
'heartburn.' Thus, waiting for food to start its travels through the digestive system is helpful.
The condition/symptoms are often related to overweight. So while there's no harm in taking a nap
after dinner, if one "just can't move" after a meal and suffer from heartburn, one might try either
napping in a chair or moderating one's intake.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:31:17 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
> ville terminale wrote:
>> i heard it is. is it?
>
> Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

I'm curious, do you actually have sources for this? I've always heard that particularly for
people who suffer from heartburn or GERD, lying down after eating should be avoided.

As for the swimming after eating idea, it's not like it's fatal if you do. But generally
people agree that if you've eaten a large or rich meal, strenuous activity afterward isn't
going to help digestion and may increase your tendency to get cramps. I find that a nice walk
after a meal helps with digestion.

Ariane

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, jmcquown of said:

>Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

I guess it's a good idea, if you've had a big meal, to wait for a while before swimming.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ# 251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-
bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN "However, as far as anything has a heart (i.e. bit in the middle), then I'd

jmcquown wrote:

> ville terminale wrote:
>
>>i heard it is. is it?
>

> Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.
>
> Jill

If you suffer from GERD (a condition in which reflux from your stomach burns your esophagus,) it is
not only advisable to wait one hour prior to going to sleep, but that you elevate the head at least
25 degrees or more to prevent reflux. Of course, it depends on what you eat, and how bad the disease
is, and whether you are under treatment with a PPI (proton pump inhibitor like Nexium,) et cetera.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ville terminale wrote:
> > i heard it is. is it?
>
> Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.
>
> Jill

when food in stomach, blood flow to stomach and not as much blood for rest of body. so if you
exercise hard after big meal, not get enough oxygen for rest of body as blood flow more to stomachy.

it's like no good study after eat. blood go to stomach and less for head. that make for more drowsy
and it harder to study.

> ville terminale wrote:
> > i heard it is. is it?
>
> Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.
>
> Jill

I hope you're being sarcastic, Jill. Either that, or you've never had reflux. It's a God-awful
experience and lying down within 2-3 hours of eating is enough for me to have to go through it.

kimberly

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:31:17 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
>> ville terminale wrote:
>>> i heard it is. is it?
>>
>> Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.
>
> I'm curious, do you actually have sources for this? I've always heard that particularly for people
> who suffer from heartburn or GERD, lying down after eating should be avoided.

The only sources I have are my mother telling me 'don't go swimming for an hour'. But I can only
imagine it is due to the fact that the body uses up more energy when trying to digest food,
therefore you may become tired more easily.

Similiarly, the body slows down due to the digestive processes and thus you should not eat late and
night and then go to bed when your entire metabolism is slowed. Fat cannot be burned off due to
inertia. This is why I don't generally eat after 7:00 p.m.

Jill

Ariane Jenkins wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:31:17 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>ville terminale wrote:
>>
>>>i heard it is. is it?
>>
>>Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.
>

> I'm curious, do you actually have sources for this? I've always heard that particularly for
> people who suffer from heartburn or GERD, lying down after eating should be avoided.
>
> As for the swimming after eating idea, it's not like it's fatal if you do. But generally
> people agree that if you've eaten a large or rich meal, strenuous activity afterward isn't
> going to help digestion and may increase your tendency to get cramps. I find that a nice
> walk after a meal helps with digestion.
>
> Ariane

How this evolved was the situation in which people with coronary artery disease dropped dead or
developed massive heart attacks for exerting themselves after large meals. The exertion only served
as a catalyst for the event; the event was going to take place within the next few hours or days
(there was an unstable lesion in one of the coronaries, and the exertion initiated the cascade of
plaque rupture, et cetera.)

MEow <[email protected]> wrote:
> While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, jmcquown of said:

>>Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.
>>
> I guess it's a good idea, if you've had a big meal, to wait for a while before swimming.

Depends on what you mean by "swimming." When I was a kid, I used to spend a good deal of time at
an aunt & uncle's house in Florida. My uncle owned a pool building business and he always had an
amazing pool with waterfall, slide, diving board, and we always jumped in the pool right after we
ate, even after a heavy meal. The only warning we got was not to be too energetic because it
could cause muscle cramping. Sure enough, when I got too energetic (playing water polo,
whatever), I did get cramps in my legs. In a deep body of water, someone who gets cramps can
drown so a good rule of thumb is to simply take it easy after eating a heavy meal, but avoiding
swimming entirely is overkill.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:26:37 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

> The only sources I have are my mother telling me 'don't go swimming for an hour'. But I can only
> imagine it is due to the fact that the body uses up more energy when trying to digest food,
> therefore you may become tired more easily.
[snip]

I actually meant if you had any sources re: the whole lying down after you eat theory being
nuts. It seems like there's more common sense to that than the swimming myth, anyway.

My mother always told my brother and I about no swimming for an hour after we ate, but I
suspect it was to keep us out of the water so she didn't have to watch us for a while
after a meal. ;P

Ariane

>If you suffer from GERD (a condition in which reflux from your stomach burns your esophagus,) it
>is not only advisable to wait one hour prior to going to sleep, but that you elevate the head at
>least 25 degrees or more to prevent reflux. Of course, it depends on what you eat, and how bad
>the disease is, and whether you are under treatment with a PPI (proton pump inhibitor like
>Nexium,) et cetera.

for me it is about 2 to 3 hours. and if I eat something with grain in it it could be 5 hours. I go
to bed hungry if I can.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:35:03 GMT, Ariane Jenkins
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:26:37 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> The only sources I have are my mother telling me 'don't go swimming for an hour'.

> My mother always told my brother and I about no swimming for an hour after we ate, but I
> suspect it was to keep us out of the water so she didn't have to watch us for a while
> after a meal.

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=4475

has a few answers. Swimming after eating is debatable; lying down after eating with a heartburn/GERD
problem isn't.