Is Mongoose Bad???

ess17

Jun 4, 2004
I am a total beginner to this sport, so sorry for the beginner questions.
Recently I went to a bike shop and rode a Giant MTX 260 DSClick here for Giant
(I know this is a kids bike basically, but I am a small framed female and it fit me well according to the bike store and I am 24 so I won't be outgrowing it)

I have been looking for other brands that have a full suspension beginner mountain bike in the same price range or cheaper ($300 or less). I came acroos this Mongoose Renegade
Click here for Mongoose
(There is also a Mongoose for a little cheaper at 179 on this website.)
When I was growing up, I thought Mongoose was a good brand to have, but I have also seen that Mongoose sells bikes at places like Target. This made me wonder what kind of bike company Mongoose is and what you guys think of them? Obviously the price is cheaper, but I don't want to get a bad bike and have to replace it soon.
Any other suggestions on models like this would be appreciated.

Thanks!:cool:

Some Mongoose's have just been recalled due to structural problems. I would recommend going to a local bike shop and asking them what they have for a beginner. I just bought my nine year old daughter a Trek for about $300 that is a good beginner bike. I don't know how tall you are but my daughter's getting close to five feet already, so we didn't buy her a kid's bike, but rather a small adult bike. Specialized makes one too, here's the link for it: http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6014&JServSessionIdroot=wdgf4je31g.j27008 this one's $440, but most bike shops will cut some off the cost. If in the end you choice is between the Giant & the Mongoose, go with the Giant.
Good luck & happy riding.

to answer your question, yes

I hope I'm not to late. I know a full grown man who rides the MTX 250. it's funny to see really. He put a huge gel saddle on it and I've seen him arround once or twice. The MTX is going to be a much better buy because its a quality bike. Giant makes quality bikes and the MTX will last you a lot longer. I cant vouch for the full suspension properties of the bike though. Is there a reason that you'd want full suspension? I would think that it would bottom out on you, and you'd be better off getting the hardtail version of it.

I believe Mongoose used to be a good bike, but when they 'went downhill' and are now being sold at Wal-Mart, STAY AWAY!!!

Originally posted by ess17
I am a total beginner to this sport, so sorry for the beginner questions.
Recently I went to a bike shop and rode a Giant MTX 260 DSClick here for Giant
(I know this is a kids bike basically, but I am a small framed female and it fit me well according to the bike store and I am 24 so I won't be outgrowing it)

I have been looking for other brands that have a full suspension beginner mountain bike in the same price range or cheaper ($300 or less). I came acroos this Mongoose Renegade
Click here for Mongoose
(There is also a Mongoose for a little cheaper at 179 on this website.)
When I was growing up, I thought Mongoose was a good brand to have, but I have also seen that Mongoose sells bikes at places like Target. This made me wonder what kind of bike company Mongoose is and what you guys think of them? Obviously the price is cheaper, but I don't want to get a bad bike and have to replace it soon.
Any other suggestions on models like this would be appreciated.

Thanks!:cool:

I hope that I am not to late as well...When I was a kid having a Mongoose or Redline bike meant that you were the envy of the neighborhood. When I started getting back into MTB'ing I bought a Wal-mart NEXT brand and then a Wal-mart Mongoose. I did this because I did not know anything about bikes and I remembered my childhood years and thought hey Mongoose cool. I rode it twice. spent most of both rides adjusting. Hated it tremendously. Needless to say I brought it back and put the money towards a Trek from my local bike store. I have never looked back. I will say, however, that Mongoose does make high end MTB's. I have seen several Mongoose MTB's go for up to $1k in cost. They were Shimano Deore Equipped and had Hayes Hyd Disc Brakes with Fox Vanilla Forks and a Fox Rear

I was informed by the kid at the bike store, where I ultimately bought my Trek, that Wal-mart and other places like that pay kids by the bike to assemble them. You can imaginge that these kids are cranking these bikes out as fast as they can so not much attention is being payed to lubrication and proper assembly.

I would stay away from Big store bikes and go to your local bike shop and get something that will last you a while.

Have fun!!!

yea id say start off on a hardtail, it will most likely to teach you to ride smoother, and usually give you better bike for your $$$