Is Mountain Bike Racing dead or just NORBA???

CoBikeRacer

Guest
Numbers at the end of 2004.
While USCF is still semi-strong at 34088 Members, NORBA is down to
13872 Members.
Only 3 States have more then 1000 members:
California - 3269
Colorado - 1498
Texas - 1034.

Living in Colorado we have the Mountain States Series which is NORBA,
Winter Park Series which is Independant and then a number of other
NORBA races not park of a series.
I see why USAC only upped the USCF One-Day Fee to $10 and kept the
NORBA at $5 for Sport & Beginner. I think this $5 fee goes to
promoters so they will permit through NORBA...

So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

CoBikeRacer wrote:
> Numbers at the end of 2004.
> While USCF is still semi-strong at 34088 Members, NORBA is down to
> 13872 Members.
> Only 3 States have more then 1000 members:
> California - 3269
> Colorado - 1498
> Texas - 1034.
>
> Living in Colorado we have the Mountain States Series which is NORBA,
> Winter Park Series which is Independant and then a number of other
> NORBA races not park of a series.
> I see why USAC only upped the USCF One-Day Fee to $10 and kept the
> NORBA at $5 for Sport & Beginner. I think this $5 fee goes to
> promoters so they will permit through NORBA...
>
> So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
> What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

In our area BMX is growing again, but between trail
restrictions/closures and other hassles MTB seems to be shrinking.
We've also got more Jr interest in road than in quite a while, could be
because quite a few clubs are really looking for, and creating new
riders. Wish we had half the problems that Casey and the NCNCA are
having though.
Not sure what exactly they are doing , but damn we've got to get some
of that.
Bill C

I think MTB riders tend to care less about how an organization measures
their progress or success, hence less of a need to join an
organization. Also, with fewer MTB races available nationwide, it just
makes more sense to do 1-days. If you race 5 times per year, why pay
the equivilent of doing 10?

In article <[email protected]>,
Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

> CoBikeRacer wrote:
> > Numbers at the end of 2004.
> > While USCF is still semi-strong at 34088 Members, NORBA is down to
> > 13872 Members.
> > Only 3 States have more then 1000 members:
> > California - 3269
> > Colorado - 1498
> > Texas - 1034.
> >
> > Living in Colorado we have the Mountain States Series which is NORBA,
> > Winter Park Series which is Independant and then a number of other
> > NORBA races not park of a series.
> > I see why USAC only upped the USCF One-Day Fee to $10 and kept the
> > NORBA at $5 for Sport & Beginner. I think this $5 fee goes to
> > promoters so they will permit through NORBA...
> >
> > So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
> > What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

> In our area BMX is growing again, but between trail
> restrictions/closures and other hassles MTB seems to be shrinking.
> We've also got more Jr interest in road than in quite a while, could be
> because quite a few clubs are really looking for, and creating new
> riders. Wish we had half the problems that Casey and the NCNCA are
> having though.
> Not sure what exactly they are doing , but damn we've got to get some
> of that.

I think our growing junior fields are due to several factors that have
been going on for a number of years.

We have a couple fo junior specific clubs that have been slowly growing
each year. We also have a number of adult clubs that have been putting
in more efforts in building their junior ranks.

Our junior points series that give extra recognition ( and prizes) to
juniors.

The growing High School Mt. bike league in our region. I know of a
number of juniors who have crossed over from the Mt. bike racing to
road racing.

The number of races that include youth and kids events as part of the
program that expose young riders to racing.

Programs at our local velodrome.

All of the above have been going on for a few years now and each
program plays a role in helping to bring more juniors into racing.

Casey

CoBikeRacer wrote:
> Numbers at the end of 2004.
> While USCF is still semi-strong at 34088 Members, NORBA is down to
> 13872 Members.
> So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
> What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

I think it is related to the Norba's policy regarding marjuanna.

RVD

CoBikeRacer wrote:

> So is mountain biking dead or just NORBA???
> What is Mountain Bike Racing like in the rest of the country?

some of the most fun "racing" doesn't require a NORBA license...VT50 and
other "marathon events"

In Colorado we have a few 100 Mile & 24 Hour MTB "Races".

I guess since most of those are mass start it doens't matter what your
category is. One-Day fee is small compared to the entry fee some of
the races charge. Leadville 100 - $220 Entry Fee. WOW!!!!!!!

Mountain biking is dead....

From http://soprojones.com/archives/FUN/harpursville_herald.htm

Obituaries

Mountain Biking passed away this past Sunday afternoon. Mountain biking
is survived by several friends and relatives including Ned Overend, John
Tomac, Hans Rey, Greg Herbold and many others. Mountain Biking had
suffered for years and passed away peacefully in the Sierra Nevada
mountains of California. Contributions can be sent to Road Biking, C/O
USA cycling, One Olympic Plaza, Colorado Springs CO, 56786. There will
be no services but many earthy bars and eateries will be having memorial
services this following weekend.