Is my bike a chicks bike??

arreat89

Apr 13, 2006
I bought my bike at Costco, it's a Infinity Quark, or Quark Infinity. The handlebar is not straight and its kind of curvy, which made me think is ait a chicks bike?

How exactly can you tell a chicks bike from a dudes bike?

I've been searching online for awhile now and I can't seem to find it. : /

What’s with this looks discrimination, first it was clothes, hairstyles, and i now notice they market cabriole’s as woman’s cars.

So if you have long hair wear pink, drive an open top car and have curvy handlebars on your bike you must be female, what happened to the liberation?

janiejones said:
Who cares - it's your bike now!!!!!
I just hate the idea of someone giving me a weird look when they see me biking down the street. One time I was riding a bike with the same handlebar, and some dude yelled out "You're riding a chicks bike!" or something to that effect. Pretty embarassing if you ask me. Is it possible to replace the handlebar with one that is straight?

arreat89 said:
Is it possible to replace the handlebar with one that is straight?

I'm sure you would be able to change your bars - ask your local bike shop as to what would be the best type for your bike. You may need to change brake levers as well, but once you know what type you need you can look around on ebay for some good deals. But basic straight bars come pretty cheap.

Can you post a picture of your bike? I'm very intrigued.

Yes, a pix will help us understand the probem. :)

I will relate a recent experience.

A lady friend brought her Giant Upland Ladies (Purple) MTB over for some upgrading. I changed the tyres to 26x1.5 city semi slicks, cut the riser bars down to 560mm wide, fitted a suspension seat post and Sell Italia Lady Saddle, and ordered the new 11-28 cassette from Shimano.

She swims at the same pool/squad as myself so I decided to ride it to the pool and show her. The test ride with the 14-28 cassette, well, too slow, so I took the MTB wheels off and fitted a pair of my 650c training wheels and an 8 speed 11-32 HG30 cassette, set the derailleur up to shift the high 7 (11-28), pumped up the race tyres and rode off to the pool.

Well, this was the fun ride of the year!! I could keep up with everything!! But, did it embarrass the road bike riders. :eek: A purple ladies MTB keeping up on the bike path! Well, I beat my normal training time for the journey of 50-55 minutes by 2-7 minutes.

So, it does not matter what you ride, just how you ride it, Enjoy!! :D

This was the only Quark bike I could find...defintely a sissy bloody thing! <G>
quark1.jpg

Oh no, it's a brand new bike, a mountain bike. I don't mean that it curves that way but, kind of like this: only the bar cuves inward a bit, and isn't straight.

1401_arrnine_top.jpg

Help! My bike's top tube curves downward a little... is it a girlie bike?!!?

Come on, man. A girly bike from costco would likely be pink or something. I doubt they even carry chick bikes...unless they have training wheels or something. Did ya check for those? All this bs crying about it might being a girlie bike is far more girlie than a purple bike with streamers. Do you have repressed homosexual desires that you are afraid will be revealed by a riser bar?

Thank you!!!! I just realised what's missing,

Streamers!! :D

gclark8 said:
I will relate a recent experience.

A lady friend brought her Giant Upland Ladies (Purple) MTB over for some upgrading. I changed the tyres to 26x1.5 city semi slicks, cut the riser bars down to 560mm wide, fitted a suspension seat post and Sell Italia Lady Saddle, and ordered the new 11-28 cassette from Shimano.

She swims at the same pool/squad as myself so I decided to ride it to the pool and show her. The test ride with the 14-28 cassette, well, too slow, so I took the MTB wheels off and fitted a pair of my 650c training wheels and an 8 speed 11-32 HG30 cassette, set the derailleur up to shift the high 7 (11-28), pumped up the race tyres and rode off to the pool.

Well, this was the fun ride of the year!! I could keep up with everything!! But, did it embarrass the road bike riders. :eek: A purple ladies MTB keeping up on the bike path! Well, I beat my normal training time for the journey of 50-55 minutes by 2-7 minutes.

So, it does not matter what you ride, just how you ride it, Enjoy!! :D

arreat89 said:
Oh no, it's a brand new bike, a mountain bike. I don't mean that it curves that way but, kind of like this: only the bar cuves inward a bit, and isn't straight.
Ok. I was joking. I looked for on the Web a Quark Infinity and could not find one. I even simply checked Costco, and they did not show such a name.

I still am not quite sure what you mean about the bars. There were bars that usually went on female's bikes that actually curved up and then came round to parallel to the frame at the ends. They seem less common now. They were a sort of "cruiser" bar.

The most common difference between men's and women's bikes is the mtop tube of the frame. "Ladies" were not supposed to have to flang gheir leg over the saddle to get on the bike, so the top tube was either not there, or placed almost parallel to the front down tube. Ironically MTBs are now a bit like that so we don't kiss our nuts on the frame! <G>.

Go to a bike shop and see what's on offer. If you are worried, get new bars.

That's just a riser bar. It's the "in" thing right now compared to flat bars of years past. Whoever said it was a girl's bike was just screwing with you or a complete idiot who doesn't have a clue about what a modern MTB is supposed to look like.

triguy98 said:
Help! My bike's top tube curves downward a little... is it a girlie bike?!!?

Come on, man. A girly bike from costco would likely be pink or something. I doubt they even carry chick bikes...unless they have training wheels or something. Did ya check for those? All this bs crying about it might being a girlie bike is far more girlie than a purple bike with streamers. Do you have repressed homosexual desires that you are afraid will be revealed by a riser bar?
Hey! Lay off the guy will ya? He came back and kept contributing. I have been laughed at for my choice of handlbars (unless it was my puffed out riding style) and being laughed at is not pleasant. If the guy reckons he can overcome the problem by asking, then good on him. If it's just the bars, then it's a simple fix. We should not pound him. Sorry if my levity introduced the element of teasing. I really looked hard to find the Quark Infinity, inclusing browsing Costco, and found only what I posted. I did not intend a desc ent into nastiness.

arreat89 said:
I bought my bike at Costco, it's a Infinity Quark, or Quark Infinity. The handlebar is not straight and its kind of curvy, which made me think is ait a chicks bike?

How exactly can you tell a chicks bike from a dudes bike?

I've been searching online for awhile now and I can't seem to find it. : /
These days modern bikes, both road and MTB built for women really only differ in terms of frame dimensions. Old style "mixte" frames are dying out (thank heavens) in favour of WSD (Woman Specific Design) bikes. I normally only see these older "ladies" bikes in cheaper bike stores and on Craigslist. People are dropping them like hot potatoes.

Modern WSD bikes tend to have a lower stance and the top tube length is reduced. These bikes seldom exceed 18". These measurements accommodate the average women's body dimensions: women are typically shorter with shorter upper bodies than men. However, a shorter man with a shorter reach would be just as well fitted on a "Lisa" as would be a female. Similarly, taller women would avoid the WSD bikes as would average sized men.

Finally, I believe that in the past bike stores would often sell bikes too large for the purchasers. On many occassions, I would have arguements with shop salespeople over sizing. My wife, years ago, was sold a mountain bike approximately 3 sizes too large. It did not get ridden, she hated it! I think sales clerks are getting better training on fitting these days,

I bought a new Giant Iguana this past friday. I asked for an 18". The salesman sold me a 17". Guess what? He was right!

I hate to resurrect a thread but I want to start getting into shape, and I'm still curious about my bike so here are some pics (finally). Now this isn't the exact bike - i'll try to get some pics of mine later on, but I think mine just has a thicker frame.

jac0ol.jpg

2eph55y.jpg

arreat89 said:
I hate to resurrect a thread but I want to start getting into shape, and I'm still curious about my bike so here are some pics (finally). Now this isn't the exact bike - i'll try to get some pics of mine later on, but I think mine just has a thicker frame.
FWIW. If you haven't figured it out, yet ...

The bike in the pictures is NOT a "girl's" bike ... and, if your bike looks similar, no one will suggest that it is.

Only if there's a chick riding it! ;)

Then again, Missy Giove can ride better than any guy I've ever seen! :cool: