Is my bike frame toast?

bikemistress

Feb 8, 2006
This past weekend, my "dear husband" as I will put it, started driving our SUV in the garage with our bikes on top. Since mine is much smaller (48cm), it took the brunt of the impact, with the exception of the holes in our house stucco from the brakehoods. Anyway, the top tube has a dime size hole in the carbon and the down tube is cracked for a few inches from the joint to the top tube. Basically, the head tube lug is trashed and more. I sent it back to manufacturer (Calfee Designs) as it was a very expensive carbon frame. I am awaiting their receiving it and calling me with the prognosis, although I think she is dead.

Do you think it is toast or is it repairable? I can attach or send digital pictures if that is possible with this forum. Thanks!:(

bikemistress said:
This past weekend, my "dear husband" as I will put it, started driving our SUV in the garage with our bikes on top. Since mine is much smaller (48cm), it took the brunt of the impact, with the exception of the holes in our house stucco from the brakehoods. Anyway, the top tube has a dime size hole in the carbon and the down tube is cracked for a few inches from the joint to the top tube. Basically, the head tube lug is trashed and more. I sent it back to manufacturer (Calfee Designs) as it was a very expensive carbon frame. I am awaiting their receiving it and calling me with the prognosis, although I think she is dead.

Do you think it is toast or is it repairable? I can attach or send digital pictures if that is possible with this forum. Thanks!:(

I think your husband is toast and is not repairable.

Are you looking for Yes or No votes?
If so....I'd say yes it's toast.

Maybe Calfee (did you buy direct?) can offer you a new frame at a reduced rate, similar to other companies when you damage your their products (Giro-helmets, Zipp- wheels) ......
Best of luck.

bikemistress said:

It may not be toast. Calfee may be able to provide a new front end--top tube, down tube, and head tube/lug.

I found this on the Calfee site......

As a service, Calfee Design will exchange to the original registered owner of an irreparably damaged Calfee Design product not covered by the preceding warranty at a substantial cost reduction. Calfee Design will exchange the returned damaged product for a new one of the same size and the same or comparable model. Please contact your Calfee Design Dealer for current details regarding replacement terms. This offer applies only to the original registered Calfee Design owner and expires five (5) years after the original date of product purchase.

If the repair won't work or is too cost prohibitive to do.

When I told Calfee that 2 bike shops (and my own eyes) said that the head tube lug is toast, Calfee said they could replace that and also repair the damage to the frame. I am still waiting for them to receive it and get in touch with me. FedX only hast until 5 to get it there and it is 4:30 p.s.t.:confused:

John M said:
It may not be toast. Calfee may be able to provide a new front end--top tube, down tube, and head tube/lug.

My husband is in the dog house but he is not toast. He feels real bad and he will pay for the repair, of course. His brake hoods were tweaked on his Trek 5500. He got off lucky.

alienator said:
I think your husband is toast and is not repairable.

Thanks! I read that on their web site too. I asked the price for a replacement but they did not give me that info on the phone. I need to wait to see what they say after viewing the frame. I told them I do not want it fixed if they cannot provide a warantee similar to a new frame. I loved the frame/bike before this incident. They make a great frame and would recommend it so long as your significant other does not do what mine did.:mad:

cPritch67 said:
I found this on the Calfee site......

As a service, Calfee Design will exchange to the original registered owner of an irreparably damaged Calfee Design product not covered by the preceding warranty at a substantial cost reduction. Calfee Design will exchange the returned damaged product for a new one of the same size and the same or comparable model. Please contact your Calfee Design Dealer for current details regarding replacement terms. This offer applies only to the original registered Calfee Design owner and expires five (5) years after the original date of product purchase.

If the repair won't work or is too cost prohibitive to do.

Ouch! That is one of the down sides of a roof rack and an automatic garage door opener. I have a large sign that I remove from a clip and let it hang freely from one of the panels that says "Not So Fast Dummy!!!" in big letters. When I open the door it is staring me in the face so I have to stop. Another solution would be to remove the AGDO from the console and put it into the glove box whenever you are driving with the bikes on the car.
Several friends have done just what your husband did. It is easy to do when you have returned from an exhausting ride. The Calfee people won't steer you wrong on the bike repair. If the cost is close then go for the repurchase option and get a new frame. Have your husband check his bike out with an expert. Carbon fiber can have hidden damage that isn't easily seen. Good luck.

Thanks! My husband got so mad he removed the Yakima roof racks from the car. Besides the rails of the car got all bent up so the location of the racks would need to be changed or fix the car. I called Calfee late yesterday and they will let me know today. One guy there said he saw the frame but would not comment. I will let you guys know the scoop when I hear. Meanwhile, yesterday and today, (later) I am stuck riding my old titanium bike, which is not too bad for an alternative. Relocating the AGDO is a great suggestion. A girlfriend of mine told me she does that 'cause she did the same thing with her old bike and doesn't want to do it with her $6K bike.:mad:

Deanster04 said:
Ouch! That is one of the down sides of a roof rack and an automatic garage door opener. I have a large sign that I remove from a clip and let it hang freely from one of the panels that says "Not So Fast Dummy!!!" in big letters. When I open the door it is staring me in the face so I have to stop. Another solution would be to remove the AGDO from the console and put it into the glove box whenever you are driving with the bikes on the car.

Several friends have done just what your husband did. It is easy to do when you have returned from an exhausting ride. The Calfee people won't steer you wrong on the bike repair. If the cost is close then go for the repurchase option and get a new frame. Have your husband check his bike out with an expert. Carbon fiber can have hidden damage that isn't easily seen. Good luck.

FWIW: some years ago, I saw someone destroy a beautiful Masi in a similar fashion. It was enough to make you weep... I can still hear the hollow crunch. Horrible sound.

I swore off roof racks after watching that tragedy. When I went to replace my daily commuter with a new(er) car, my first test was - can I get my bike in the back without taking the wheels off. Ended up with a midsized Mercury Sable wagon, which will swallow my bike whole without a problem. Keeps the bike dry, somewhat theftproof, and far away from garage doors and low hanging branches.

I met a friend this morning and have no racks on my car- took off both wheels and put in trunk of a Lexus sedan.

JohnO said:
FWIW: some years ago, I saw someone destroy a beautiful Masi in a similar fashion. It was enough to make you weep... I can still hear the hollow crunch. Horrible sound.

I swore off roof racks after watching that tragedy. When I went to replace my daily commuter with a new(er) car, my first test was - can I get my bike in the back without taking the wheels off. Ended up with a midsized Mercury Sable wagon, which will swallow my bike whole without a problem. Keeps the bike dry, somewhat theftproof, and far away from garage doors and low hanging branches.

JohnO said:

JohnO, your test sounds familar. Before I bought my New Beetle in 2000, had the salesman help fold down the rear seat and then made sure my bike would fit. The front wheel comes off before laying it inside, but that only takes a few seconds.

In addition to the reasons you listed to avoid roof racks, I also don't like the aero drag. I've taken long trips in cars and SUVs with four bikes plus wheels on top, and the effect on performance and fuel economy was very apparent. Even without bikes on them, the empty racks create drag and waste fuel.

There is a similar thread over on www.bikefanclub.com where Calfee bikes and many other high-end bikes are discussed. Seems a lot of folks have regrettably driven into their garage with their bikes on the roof. I'm glad I have a mini-van because my bikes fit inside it.

I have a great deal of confidence in Craig Calfee as he is an excellent composites engineer with decades of experience. He is an expert in inspecting frames for damage and also an expert in repair of composite frames. Ask anyone who has a Calfee bike what they think of the company. I do not think there are any dissatisifed owners of a Calfee bike. I'm getting my second one in a week or so.

I just spoke with someone over there at Calfee to find out the scoop on my frame- toast or not toast. I was told Craig found another crack and they want to inspect it closer to see if it might be more cost-effective to just replace the frame. I will know tomorrow and keep ya all posted. Thanks! I loved by Calfee too prior to my husband's "brain fade incident" (forgetting that 2 Carbon bikes were on top of roof when he started driving into the garage). Now he gets to fix the holes in the stucco on our house in his spare time he doesn't have.)

Insight Driver said:
There is a similar thread over on www.bikefanclub.com where Calfee bikes and many other high-end bikes are discussed. Seems a lot of folks have regrettably driven into their garage with their bikes on the roof. I'm glad I have a mini-van because my bikes fit inside it.

I have a great deal of confidence in Craig Calfee as he is an excellent composites engineer with decades of experience. He is an expert in inspecting frames for damage and also an expert in repair of composite frames. Ask anyone who has a Calfee bike what they think of the company. I do not think there are any dissatisifed owners of a Calfee bike. I'm getting my second one in a week or so.

bikemistress said:

It sounds pretty badly damaged. Send it back to Calfee or who ever makes it for their inspection and determiniation of condition. Some years ago, I saw this little thing that you put on you dash board. When you had a bike on the roof, you flipped up this "flap" that was red or had red lettering saying, "hey dummy, don't forget that bikes on the roof..."

Is any of this damage covered on your home owner's policy or auto insurance policy?

Like I said to someone else who responded, I am awaiting Calfee's final decision. They are still inspecting it. It may be covered under homeowner's ins., but have not tried contacting them yet.
Fox Farm said:
It sounds pretty badly damaged. Send it back to Calfee or who ever makes it for their inspection and determiniation of condition. Some years ago, I saw this little thing that you put on you dash board. When you had a bike on the roof, you flipped up this "flap" that was red or had red lettering saying, "hey dummy, don't forget that bikes on the roof..."

Is any of this damage covered on your home owner's policy or auto insurance policy?

bikemistress said:

bad news shes shot
cabon frames are very expencive I know a guy who brought in a carbon wheel that was smashed the guy said my friend steped on it we said its shot
we said he should buy you a new one
I crushed my rims with my moutain bike hydrolic brakes so I know know how you feel my wheels cost about $ 500.00.