Is my bike frame too big??

BexK

Oct 25, 2012
Hi,

I am just getting into triathlons at a reasonably competitive level and I was given advice to buy a Gios Gress carbon bike on trademe as was told this was a particularly good deal (this is the bike: http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling/road-bikes/medium-53-56cm/auction-526359901.htm).

It arrived yesterday have put it together and looks great, however I took it into the bike shop tonight and was told that the frame is too big for me! The listing on the auction says would suit 5"2-5"6 and I am approx 5"3 - the frame is 53cm. I was wanting some advice as to if I should be considering sending the bike back - is it too big? Or anyone who has experience with the Gios brand?

Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,

Bex

There are too many unknowns to say if your bike frame is too large or a reasonable fit. Body types vary considerably.

Just going from years of fitting riders...you are 'close'. Not seeing you on the bike, I can't make an educated call. I would not take the guy's opinion at the shop as gospel just yet. Go to another shop and get another opinion. Ask about suggested adjustments. Maybe even find a place that performs bike fittings and see where you are in relation to that 'perfect' fit.

You may benefit from a shorter stem, saddle offset change, more or less stem spacers, shorter reach/more shallow drop handlebars, etc. to dial in the fit.

I've often seen the shorter riders (male and female) riding a frame that was a centimeter or two too large without issues. Sure, there's a bit less seat post showing than is considered fashionable these days, but as long as the reach and stack height can be made to comfortably work there's no big deal.

The bigger question is the bike being comfortable under YOU, not the eye of someone else.

BexK said:
Hi,  I am just getting into triathlons at a reasonably competitive level and I was given advice to buy a Gios Gress carbon bike on trademe as was told this was a particularly good deal (this is the bike: http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling/road-bikes/medium-53-56cm/auction-526359901.htm).   It arrived yesterday have put it together and looks great, however I took it into the bike shop tonight and was told that the frame is too big for me!  The listing on the auction says would suit 5"2-5"6 and I am approx 5"3 - the frame is 53cm.  I was wanting some advice as to if I should be considering sending the bike back - is it too big?  Or anyone who has experience with the Gios brand? Appreciate any advice! Cheers, Bex
It's impossible to say if the bike is too big or not. There are more important metrics than height. Height will only give you a very large ballpark in which you might fit certain bike sizes. If you've already been to one shop, you might go to different one to get another opinion. Unfortunately, not all bike shops are equal, and as such you might sometimes get questionable or bad advice from some shops. It can even vary at a particular shop depending on who is working that day. If you let me know where you are in NZed, I can perhaps help you find a shop. I've got a best friend in Auckland, and he's got a lot of connections throughout your area of the Antipodes. FWIW, Gios is a great brand that's been around a long time. Their signature is the blue of your bike. Every Gios I've ever seen was that color.

FWIW. I do NOT think that the bike is too large ...

However, I am not certain that another (i.e., slightly smaller) size might not be marginally better for you ...

BUT, IMO, sizing a frame is as much a cosmetic issue as not ...

Because one of the functions of the frame is simply to orient the rider to the components ...

And, 'I' reckon that if your bike currently looks similar to this (with the seat being about what is depicted ... it is ONLY AN APPROXIMATION ... then I say "no worries" unless you have an extraordinarily short torso + short arms), then all you may need is a shorter stem and/or a different handlebar whose forward reach is not so great to tweak the fit ...

I think the shortest stem is 5cm ... a 6cm or 7cm stem will probably be better for you than the one which came with the bike ...

• you only have to change to a shorter stem if you feel that you are too stretched out ...
  • you may not want to remove any spacers, yet, even if you get a shorter stem
  • if a 6cm or 7cm stem leaves the reach feeling too long then you can unwrap the handlebars, rotate them downward a bit, and remount the brake levers further back on the bend to effectively shorten the "reach" ...
  • different handlebars have a different "reach" ...
  • you may want to change the handlebars in the future because they may be too wide for you
  • what feels "good" today might not feel as good later, so don't make wholesale changes until you have several rides under your belt

BTW. GIOS is an excellent brand & the amount you paid was a very good deal.

Thank you so much for all your advice. I have got a couple of different opinions and the consensus was that it is a bit big possibly if I got a shorter stem then it might do the trick. However I am wanting to put ero bars on and so the ideal would to have smaller frame. I contacted the bike shop and they have said that the gios frame size measurements are slightly different and the height recommendations on their listing may not be entirely accurate.

Anyway long story short am swapping for a 50cm frame. Thanks again for the advice and also really appreciate the assurance that this was in fact a great deal!

Cheers,

Bex

Bex...Pretty sure i'm looking at a similar advert on trademe as we speak: http://www.trademe.co.nz/572336121 Interested to know how you got on in the end. The bike seems a great spec for the money. I'm 5'10" and all the guidelines suggest a 54-56 frame. Hoping a 56 GIOS Gress will not be too big. Feedback from you on your bike or any of the other guys appreciated. Cheers, James

Originally Posted by BexK .

Thank you so much for all your advice. I have got a couple of different opinions and the consensus was that it is a bit big possibly if I got a shorter stem then it might do the trick. However I am wanting to put ero bars on and so the ideal would to have smaller frame. I contacted the bike shop and they have said that the gios frame size measurements are slightly different and the height recommendations on their listing may not be entirely accurate.

Anyway long story short am swapping for a 50cm frame. Thanks again for the advice and also really appreciate the assurance that this was in fact a great deal!

Cheers,

Bex
I started on a frame that was slightly large for me, but remedied by using a slightly shorter stem and deeper drop bars. The bike handled well and I rode it till the next one came around. The handling and safety of the bike, dictated by a few things but rider weight as it relates to the steering axis playing a big role, is arguably the most important component of setup. But this now sounds like a moot point.

As far as the aero bars, not sure if you have them already but I would highly recommend the stubbies, similar to what many racers use on their road bikes when doing uphill time trials in lieu of a bona fide TT bike. I say this because many aero bars tend put one a little to far out on a traditional frame setup imo. Something like these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VZUZ2W/ref=asc_df_B005VZUZ2W2427962?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1501-86-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B005VZUZ2W

(not these per se but hopefully you get the idea)

Edit: And Mac3, at 5'10 a 56cm may or may not be slightly too big, tough to say without seeing. I'm 5'9" and work well with a 54cm (or something with an effective top tube of around 54.5). I have made a 55/56 work in the past but it wasn't ideal. A lot depends on ones proportions i.e. torso/limb length, within one's given height.

Originally Posted by BexK .

Good idea, Bex.

Online discount dealers regularly exaggerate the fit range of the bikes they list, especially if they don't have a full range of sizes in stock. I'd have had you trying on bikes in the 48-50 cm range.