Is my bike workable?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Jan 31, 2005.

  1. I'm thinking about picking up mtn biking. I have a bike my dad bought
    me a few years ago that I never really used... and I never really grew
    out of it. It's a Trek Mtn Track 240, 24". I'm 20 yrs old, 5', 105 lbs.
    Do you guys think it will work for me? I'd be on beginner to
    intermediate trails (in a while). Or do I need to look for an adult
    model? Thanks!

    M.

    Tags:

  2. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm thinking about picking up mtn biking. I have a bike my dad bought
    > me a few years ago that I never really used... and I never really grew
    > out of it. It's a Trek Mtn Track 240, 24". I'm 20 yrs old, 5', 105
    > lbs. Do you guys think it will work for me? I'd be on beginner to
    > intermediate trails (in a while). Or do I need to look for an adult
    > model? Thanks!

    Try it and see. If the bike fits you and you enjoy riding it, it's perfect
    as is. (If you really take to the sport, then there's plenty of time to
    spend some money later! :) )

    Have fun.

  3. It should work out just fine. No sense getting a new one unless you really
    really want to.
    But if you haven't used it for a long time, and the tires have been flat for
    a long time, you may need to get new tubes and maybe new tires.
    Usually, dirt and crud can get inside the tire and being in between teh tire
    and tube the crud can cause flats later.
    If you remove the tires and can clean everytihg out inside the tires and
    rims, the tubes may still be OK. But flats always happen when you are way
    out there, so why take the chance.
    You should also get some chain lube and clean and lube the chain and both
    the deraileurs too.
    Sometimes taking the bike to your local LBS for a tuneup doesn't hurt
    either, usually it's $35 on up depending on what may need to be fixed or
    replaced.
    Then you should be in business and can hit the trails. :)

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm thinking about picking up mtn biking. I have a bike my dad bought
    > me a few years ago that I never really used... and I never really grew
    > out of it. It's a Trek Mtn Track 240, 24". I'm 20 yrs old, 5', 105 lbs.
    > Do you guys think it will work for me? I'd be on beginner to
    > intermediate trails (in a while). Or do I need to look for an adult
    > model? Thanks!
    >
    > M.

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 31 Jan 2005 18:26:30 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >I'm thinking about picking up mtn biking. I have a bike my dad bought
    >me a few years ago that I never really used... and I never really grew
    >out of it. It's a Trek Mtn Track 240, 24". I'm 20 yrs old, 5', 105 lbs.
    >Do you guys think it will work for me? I'd be on beginner to
    >intermediate trails (in a while). Or do I need to look for an adult
    >model? Thanks!

    Go ride this one until you know what you'll want improved in the next bike. I'm
    sure it's good enough to teach you that.

    Go have fun with it.

    Ron