Is my Carbon Fork Broken?

Toon

Guest
Hi,

could you please take a look at the pictures I took of my carbon fork (I have a Specilized Allez
Comp). I just have it for 2 months and I noticed an irregularity in the carbon structure. Just went
to my bikeshop. They said it must have been there from the start but it is no problem. No
replacement necessary. I am just worried that it will "break" one of these days.

pictures are available at:

http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike1.JPG http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike2.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike3.JPG

thanks for the help.

Toon

send them to Specialized

send it back if you want it to look more beautiful, but it'll make no difference to the structural
integrity. almost all carbon components like forks, handlebars, seat posts, etc. have a woven layer
and clearcoat finish because it looks good and it's what customers expect/want.

the /real/ strength of the composite comes from the dull boring unwoven layers underneath. trek
for example have thankfully dispensed with the cosmetic charade and have dropped the woven stuff
on their frames. no point carrying around a bunch of surplus low density fiber and resin you
don't need!

jb.

Toon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could you please take a look at the pictures I took of my carbon fork (I have a Specilized Allez
> Comp). I just have it for 2 months and I noticed an irregularity in the carbon structure. Just
> went to my bikeshop. They said it must have been there from the start but it is no problem. No
> replacement necessary. I am just worried that it will "break" one of these days.
>
> pictures are available at:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike1.JPG http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike2.JPG
> http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike3.JPG
>

> thanks for the help.
>

> Toon

news:[email protected]...

Holy ****, man! Send me that fork and save your life! Ok, jb has the right answer.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

"Toon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> could you please take a look at the pictures I took of my carbon fork (I have a Specilized Allez
> Comp). I just have it for 2 months and I noticed an irregularity in the carbon structure. Just
> went to my bikeshop. They said it must have been there from the start but it is no problem. No
> replacement necessary. I am just worried that it will "break" one of these days.
>
> pictures are available at:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike1.JPG http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike2.JPG
> http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike3.JPG

BTW, how is it you didn't notice this before you were sold the bike?

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Toon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > could you please take a look at the pictures I took of my carbon fork (I have a Specilized Allez
> > Comp). I just have it for 2 months and I noticed an irregularity in the carbon structure. Just
> > went to my bikeshop. They said it must have been there from the start but it is no problem. No
> > replacement necessary. I am just worried that it will "break" one of these days.
> >
> > pictures are available at:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike1.JPG http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike2.JPG
> > http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike3.JPG
> >

> BTW, how is it you didn't notice this before you were sold the bike?

Had a fly in my eye

On 10 Aug 2003 15:20:33 -0700, [email protected] (Toon) may have said:

>Had a fly in my eye

Must have been tied on a treble hook.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:30:46 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2003 15:20:33 -0700, [email protected] (Toon) may have said:
>
>> Had a fly in my eye
> Must have been tied on a treble hook.

I rarely catch fish.

I commonly catch myself.

I've caught fish before just because a treble hook grazed their side. Poor fish. Made me feel
better, though, to have caught a fish that I otherwise might not have.

Oh, I'm a terrible and evil person! Muahahahahah!

--
Rick Onanian

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Toon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > could you please take a look at the pictures I took of my carbon fork (I have a Specilized Allez
> > Comp). I just have it for 2 months and I noticed an irregularity in the carbon structure. Just
> > went to my bikeshop. They said it must have been there from the start but it is no problem. No
> > replacement necessary. I am just worried that it will "break" one of these days.
> >
> > pictures are available at:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike1.JPG http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike2.JPG
> > http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Bike3.JPG
> >

> BTW, how is it you didn't notice this before you were sold the bike?

Went to the bikeshop. They're going to have it replaced soon. Carbon forks off for you, Specialized.

Thanks for the advice people.