Is my fork cracked?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott B., Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Scott B.

    Scott B. Guest

    I took my 1999 Klein Quantum Pro out to the garage today for
    it's spring cleaning and upon examination found found two
    cracks that are of concern to me. The first crack I noticed
    is on the middle back of the for crown and is visible both
    above and below the hole for the brake bolt. The other crack
    is on the front of the fork crown and forms an inverted "Y"
    over the brake mounting hole. How can I determine if these
    are paint cracks or structural cracks? Is this a likely spot
    for structural cracks to occur? Keep riding the bike or
    leave it parked for now? Thanks for the help. Scott B.

    Tags:

  2. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    i'd stop riding until you can get it checked by someone who
    knows what they're doing! take it to your lbs.

    what you describe could well be cracking, but see above
    for advice.

    Scott B. wrote:
    > I took my 1999 Klein Quantum Pro out to the garage today
    > for it's spring cleaning and upon examination found found
    > two cracks that are of concern to me. The first crack I
    > noticed is on the middle back of the for crown and is
    > visible both above and below the hole for the brake bolt.
    > The other crack is on the front of the fork crown and
    > forms an inverted "Y" over the brake mounting hole. How
    > can I determine if these are paint cracks or structural
    > cracks? Is this a likely spot for structural cracks to
    > occur? Keep riding the bike or leave it parked for now?
    > Thanks for the help. Scott B.

  3. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >d "Y" over the brake mounting hole. How can I determine
    >if these are paint cracks or structural cracks? Is this
    >a likely spot for structural cracks to occur? Keep
    >riding the bike or leave it parked for now? Thanks for
    >the help. Scott B.

    Tough one. Nondestructive testing-Zyglo-can't be used with
    paint. I'd call Klein and see if they'll warranty it. Cracks
    in aluminium are a serious amtter ant the only way to tell
    would first involve paint removal. Phil Brown