Is my frame rusty?

Cycler6n

Jan 5, 2007
Other than my Tarmac, I use a 1996 Raleigh m<20, just to get around the city. It had no water cage bolts, so i found a couple that fit, so nothing would get in the frame, I just took the bolts out to check em, and they were rusty on the threads, is my frame rusting? Is there any way to save it?

Cycler6n said:
Other than my Tarmac, I use a 1996 Raleigh m<20, just to get around the city. It had no water cage bolts, so i found a couple that fit, so nothing would get in the frame, I just took the bolts out to check em, and they were rusty on the threads, is my frame rusting? Is there any way to save it?
Coat the inside of the tubes with frame saver.

Cycler6n said:
If you are worried (beyond-or-before using some FRAME SAVER), take the bottom bracket out (or, the seat post ... note the position with some masking tape to facilitate putting it back on) ... tap the frame with a rubber mallet OVER a piece of "typing" paper, and see if any rust drops out.

alfeng said:
If you are worried (beyond-or-before using some FRAME SAVER), take the bottom bracket out (or, the seat post ... note the position with some masking tape to facilitate putting it back on) ... tap the frame with a rubber mallet OVER a piece of "typing" paper, and see if any rust drops out.
I'll try that, thx. Is frame saver expensive?

Cycler6n said:
If a frame is properly rusty, if you 'boff' the bottom of the frame a few times with something soft, but heavy, just to disturb anything loose, then take out the seat post and turn the frame upside down. You will see the brown dust / rust come out of the tube.

As per the previous posts, lots of frame saver is the thing to do. But, if the rust is already well under way, it'll be less effective.