Is my frame to big??

pinknpigtails

Mar 8, 2010
Hi, the guys at the bike shop put me on a 56cm frame. I'm 5'8", and a few people have stopped me on my rides and told me I look too stretched out. Could they have sold me a frame too big? If so, what is my correct frame size? Thanks for your help.
:)Pinky

That depends on your inseam. I'm 5-9 and ride a 54 cm, my inseam is 31 inches. From what you describe, 56 cm could be a bit high for you.

If you fall between two frame sizes, you can always opt for the smaller of the two and use different size seat posts and/or stems to compensate.

If you have to stand on tip-toes to straddle the top tube, the frame is too big.

pinknpigtails said:
Hi, the guys at the bike shop put me on a 56cm frame. I'm 5'8", and a few people have stopped me on my rides and told me I look too stretched out. Could they have sold me a frame too big? If so, what is my correct frame size? Thanks for your help.

It also depends on whether the frame manufacturer measures their frames from center of bottom bracket to either A) center to top tube or B) top of seat tube. Companies like Trek and Colnago (I think Cannondale also) do B while most others do A.

It really depends however on whether you're uncomfortable after a normal ride. I personally prefer to be stretched out.

pinknpigtails said:
Hi, the guys at the bike shop put me on a 56cm frame. I'm 5'8", and a few people have stopped me on my rides and told me I look too stretched out.
Going by your height and what your companions are saying, I'm inclined to say the 56 is too long.

On the other hand, if you can safely straddle the top tube and you want to keep the bike, you might be able to use a shorter stem to reduce the reach. See a local shop, preferably not the one that sold you the bike, about getting properly fit.

I'm 5'8" with short legs (wear pants w/ 29" inseam); my bikes are either 52 or 54. No way I could be comfortable on a 56.

Why don't you check one of the on-line bike fit calculators, then check the frame geometry of your bike as shown on the manufacturer's website?

pinknpigtails said:

How does it feel to you? Does it feel like you are 'too stretched out'? Go to a shop that does bike fits, not standoverridearoundtheparkinglot fits(what most bike shops do) and see. Maybe just a stem swap. BTW, inseam means little, femur length and torso/arm length are the important dimensions. They determine proper seat tube ANGLE and top tube LENGTH..if those are proper, the rest generally takes care of itself.

Oh gosh, I still feel as though I'm a newbie, even though I have racked up 15,000 miles over the years. I shortened the stem, now a 90, lowered the seat. Now, I feel compacted. I'm a tall girl and like to be stretched out. But, my shoulders do hurt a bit after a ride. I'll go to a bike shop and be fitted for a 54 cm. See if I like the feel or not. Thanks for your help.
Since I ride alone, it probably impairs my riding to take it to the next level.
Pinky

I'm hearing the tragic tale of rider gets new bike, rider listens to passing comments from others, rider makes changes, rider listens to comments from strangers on internet, rider gets new bike (repeat).

Rider height does not dictate frame size, and with today's sloping top tubes standover height isn't a good measure either. I'm 6'1" and I ride a 61cm frame (longer torso, shorter legs, likes my back to be stretched out flat) while others my height could ride a 58 or even 56cm.

If you feel compacted now, then you probably are. When people were telling you you looked stretched out, did the bike feel good or was it uncomfortable? Why did you lower the seat? If it felt okay when you first got it then I would suggest being fit to the original bike rather than getting fit to a 54cm. Bottom line is that you need someone knowledgeable who can look at you on the bike and make changes until you can say "that feels exactly right." Doesn't matter what size frame you have when that happens but your feeling on the bike should supercede whatever folks say you look like when you're riding. Good luck! :)

Yes, yes, yes, that is exactly correct. I feel great riding, I love to ride, and I was just looking to buy a new bike. I'm raising my seat back to the way I like it, and keep on peddling! Thank you!:D Pinky