Is my frittata a quiche??

Andy

Guest
This morning I decided to make a frittata.

I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.

I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
oven for 15 minutes.

It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
more like quiche than a frittata.

Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)

In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

--
Andy

"Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>
> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>
> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
> oven for 15 minutes.
>
> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
> more like quiche than a frittata.
>
> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>
> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
>
> --
> Andy

Perhaps you shoudn't put milk!
Cheers and welcome
Pandora

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>
> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>
> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
> oven for 15 minutes.
>
> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
> more like quiche than a frittata.
>
> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>
> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
>
> --
> Andy

Hi Andy,
We make this in a larger fry pan just like you did and it comes out much
thinner. We call ours frittata. We put anything in it we can conjure up
from the refrigerator. But I never put that much onion in because it is too
much moisture. Yours probably held all that moisture and puffed up in a
very small pan. Lots of times I will pull it out from the oven, put some
cheese to melt and perhaps brown just a tiny bit, then put it back in for a
minute. Or like you did, I will sprinkle parmesan on top.
Frittata. I've no luck with quiche.
Dee Dee

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>
> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>
> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
> oven for 15 minutes.
>
> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
> more like quiche than a frittata.
>
> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>
> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
>
> --
> Andy

Hi Andy,
We make this in a larger fry pan just like you did and it comes out much
thinner. We call ours frittata. We put anything in it we can conjure up
from the refrigerator. But I never put that much onion in because it is too
much moisture. Yours probably held all that moisture and puffed up in a
very small pan. Lots of times I will pull it out from the oven, put some
cheese to melt and perhaps brown just a tiny bit, then put it back in for a
minute. Or like you did, I will sprinkle parmesan on top.
Frittata. I've no luck with quiche.
Dee Dee

In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q>
wrote:

> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>
> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>
> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
> oven for 15 minutes.
>
> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
> more like quiche than a frittata.
>
> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>
> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

IMHO a Frittata is just a quiche with no crust. :)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>>
>> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
>> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
>> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
>> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>>
>> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
>> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
>> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
>> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
>> oven for 15 minutes.
>>
>> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
>> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
>> more like quiche than a frittata.
>>
>> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
>> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>>
>> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
>> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
>>
>> --
>> Andy

> Hi Andy,
> We make this in a larger fry pan just like you did and it comes out much
> thinner. We call ours frittata. We put anything in it we can conjure up
> from the refrigerator. But I never put that much onion in because it is
> too much moisture. Yours probably held all that moisture and puffed up in
> a very small pan. Lots of times I will pull it out from the oven, put
> some cheese to melt and perhaps brown just a tiny bit, then put it back in
> for a minute. Or like you did, I will sprinkle parmesan on top.
> Frittata. I've no luck with quiche.
> Dee Dee

I thought that quiche was another thing: like "quiche lorraine", for
example!
There is a base of short pastry or puff pastry and over a mix of egg ,
cheese and cram!
How do you do your quiche (possible new thread))
Cheers
Pandora

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q>
> wrote:
>
>> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>>
>> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
>> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
>> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
>> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>>
>> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
>> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
>> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
>> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
>> oven for 15 minutes.
>>
>> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
>> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
>> more like quiche than a frittata.
>>
>> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
>> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>>
>> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
>> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

> IMHO a Frittata is just a quiche with no crust. :)

For me too: No crust and no cream!
pan

Andy wrote:
> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>
> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>
> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
> oven for 15 minutes.
>
> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
> more like quiche than a frittata.
>
> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>
> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

It's neither a frittata or a quiche... a frittata is flipped and fried
on both sides, a quiche is a baked egg custard pie, has to have a
crust. What you made is known in culinary parlance as an abortion, but
a good abortion.

I think your abortion needed some browned diced potatoes, an
Irish/Mick... add some ham and you'd have a Denver/Western... a
Midwestern contains a bible. An Eastern contains lox. A Southern
exchanges the eggs for grits and hog jowls... um, let's not go there...
scrapple is an abortion gone bad. hehe

With Spam it's a Hawiian

Sheldon Uke

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> IMHO a Frittata is just a quiche with no crust. :)
> --
> Om.

A quiche has a crust? :O Well I'll be!!!

--
Andy
Crawling back under my rock

"Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> IMHO a Frittata is just a quiche with no crust. :)
>> --
>> Om.

> A quiche has a crust? :O Well I'll be!!!

It is just for this reason that I didn't understand!!!!
cheers
Pan

> --
> Andy
> Crawling back under my rock

In article <[email protected]>,
"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> >> IMHO a Frittata is just a quiche with no crust. :)
> >> --
> >> Om.

> > A quiche has a crust? :O Well I'll be!!!

> It is just for this reason that I didn't understand!!!!
> cheers
> Pan

I always made them with a crust?

Am I wrong? :-o

On 2005-11-30, Pandora <[email protected]> wrote:

> For me too: No crust and no cream!

That's my understanding, too. Crustless and creamless. I've got
quiches down, but am working on a foolproof frittata recipe. If
anyone wants to know what a great frittata tastes like and lives near
a Trader Joe's, they have an absolutely killer precooked spinach and
potato frittata for a sawbuck and change. It's about four servings
which need only a 90 second nuke to knock your socks off. I'm getting
another one today for (cough) research (cough) purposes. ;)

nb

My experience with frittatas is that after cooking the ingredients I pour on
just enough eggs to glue it all together. I don't stir the ingredients...
just pour the eggs over the top. The eggs kind of sink into the ingredients
in the pan. Put on a lid until egg is set. Sprinkle with some parmesan
cheese and enjoy.

Lynne

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>
> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>
> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
> oven for 15 minutes.
>
> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
> more like quiche than a frittata.
>
> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>
> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
>
> --
> Andy

"Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>
> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>
> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
> oven for 15 minutes.
>
> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
> more like quiche than a frittata.
>
> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>
> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
>
> --
> Andy

Can't be a quiche. By definition a quiche has a pastry crust, a fritada does
not.

Dimitri

quiche
[KEESH]
This dish originated in northeastern France in the region of Alsace-Lorraine. It
consists of a pastry shell filled with a savory custard made of eggs, cream,
seasonings and various other ingredients such as onions, mushrooms, ham,
shellfish or herbs. The most notable of these savory pies is the quiche
Lorraine, which has crisp bacon bits (and sometimes GRUYÈRE cheese) added to the
custard filling. Quiches can be served as a lunch or dinner entrée, or as a
first course or HORS D'OEUVRE.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > A quiche has a crust? :O Well I'll be!!!

>> It is just for this reason that I didn't understand!!!!
>> cheers
>> Pan

> I always made them with a crust?
>
> Am I wrong? :-o

Oh! Noo! You are right! Quiche is with crust, but Andy said that his
frittata was like a quiche, so I didn't understand :)
Pandora
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack
> Nicholson

"notbob" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-11-30, Pandora <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> For me too: No crust and no cream!

> That's my understanding, too. Crustless and creamless. I've got
> quiches down, but am working on a foolproof frittata recipe. If
> anyone wants to know what a great frittata tastes like and lives near
> a Trader Joe's, they have an absolutely killer precooked spinach and
> potato frittata for a sawbuck and change. It's about four servings
> which need only a 90 second nuke to knock your socks off. I'm getting
> another one today for (cough) research (cough) purposes. ;)
>
> nb

I like eggs and, generally, frittate! Do you know the recipe of this
"killer" frittata with spinach and potatoes? Have you ever tried to
reproduce it?
Cheers
Pandora

"King's Crown" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> My experience with frittatas is that after cooking the ingredients I pour
> on just enough eggs to glue it all together. I don't stir the
> ingredients... just pour the eggs over the top. The eggs kind of sink
> into the ingredients in the pan. Put on a lid until egg is set. Sprinkle
> with some parmesan cheese and enjoy.

Yes I prefer too, the frying pan for my frittata. But if you have to make a
12-15 eggs frittata, how do you do? You must put in the oven , unless you
have a very very large frying pan.
Pandora

> Lynne
>
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>>
>> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
>> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
>> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
>> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>>
>> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
>> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
>> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
>> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
>> oven for 15 minutes.
>>
>> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
>> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
>> more like quiche than a frittata.
>>
>> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
>> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>>
>> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
>> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
>>
>> --
>> Andy

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:53:28 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I've no luck with quiche.
>Dee Dee

This one works well...

Breakfast Quiche

Ingredients:

One 9-inch pie shell, unbaked
1/2 cup real mayonnaise (light)
2/3 cup milk
3 eggs
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1-1/2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, swiss etc.)
1/2 cup browned Sausage or crumbled Bacon
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon white pepper (I use Cayenne pepper)
1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms (optional)

Mix all ingredients and pour into pie shell. Bake at 325 degrees
for 40 to 45 minutes, or until center is firm. Let stand for 5 to 6
minutes before cutting.

You may use whatever combinations of cheeses and meat or
seafood that appeal to you. My favorite is Pepper Jack Cheese
and Mexican Chorizo Sausage. Smoked Salmon with Sharp
Cheddar Cheese also makes a good Quiche if you like seafood.

You have to mind the volumes if you add ingredients as the above
pretty much fills the pie shell. I would recommend a deep shell if
you want to add additional items.

I seldom make this the same way twice!

Mmmmmmmmm! Good recipe I must to try!
Cheers
Pandora
news:[email protected]...

Andy wrote:
> This morning I decided to make a frittata.
>
> I small diced one large red onion, one medium yellow and one medium
> orange bell pepper and cooked it with two pinches of course salt in a
> evoo oiled large cast iron pan over medium-high heat until soft and added
> 2 cloves minced garlic at the end for about a minute.
>
> I mixed 7 eggs (musgovian) and 1/4 cup whole milk. I transferred the veg
> mix to a 6" cast iron pan and added the eggs and stirred it all up (it
> filled up almost to the top of the pan) and cooked it on medium heat
> until some of the egg started to set, then transferred it to a 325 F.
> oven for 15 minutes.
>
> It rose a little as it cooked and looked and smelled great. I sat it on
> the stove and let it cool a little bit. When I sliced a piece it looked
> more like quiche than a frittata.
>
> Should I have done a courser dice or cooked it in a wider pan? Or should
> I just call it a quiche and shut-up about it? ;)
>
> In either case, it sure was yummy, served on open face english muffins,
> sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

I think what you've got there is a combination of a strata (eggs + milk
+ other things baked in the oven) and a "spanish tortilla" (eggs + milk
+ other things) cooked on the stove like an omelette.

A quiche has a pie crust.

A spanish tortilla often includes potatoes, but doesn't have to.

Susan B.