Is my hybrid up to an E2E ? Or should I get a proper tourer ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I am considering doing an E2E next year and I am considering using my TREK 7700FX(2002) hybrid
    bike(http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/city_bike/7700_fx.html) which is flat handle-barred(with
    barends) and aluminium but i have fitted a rear rack and mudguards and covered a few thousand miles
    on it since, I got it nearly 2 yrs ago. I do prefer drop handlebars though(I have 2 race bikes as
    well), I don't know if its worth converting this bike to drops(£200) or I was thinking of buying a
    Paul Hewitt Cheviot touring bike(no, not a thorn), hopefully, I can persuade my other half to put up
    with another bike in the garage, currently standing at 4(hybrid,2xrace and MTB). What should I do ?

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering doing an E2E next year and I am considering using my TREK 7700FX(2002) hybrid
    > bike(http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/city_bike/7700_fx.html) which is flat handle-barred(with
    > barends) and aluminium but i have fitted a rear
    rack
    > and mudguards and covered a few thousand miles on it since, I got it
    nearly
    > 2 yrs ago. I do prefer drop handlebars though(I have 2 race bikes as well), I don't know if its
    > worth converting this bike to drops(£200) or I was thinking of buying a Paul Hewitt Cheviot
    > touring bike(no, not a thorn), hopefully, I
    can
    > persuade my other half to put up with another bike in the garage,
    currently
    > standing at 4(hybrid,2xrace and MTB). What should I do ?

    Get on your bike and ride, young man and stop faffing...although any excuse for another bike, eh?
    Did it on a 20yr old racer with no maintenance at all. Just had to ease the chain off a bit during
    the trip but otherwise no probs. Do a few 100 mile rides beforehand to identify which bike you find
    the most comfortable and get on with it. If you can dial your home into the trip and don't live too
    close to one end or the other it'll be an opportunity to swap the bike (probably not a good idea) if
    you're not getting on with the chosen one too well. Have fun, enjoy, it's a fantastically liberating
    experience. Dave.
    p.s. approximately 200 miles of riding after I'd finished, the rear wheel spindle broke. That was 2
    days worth of riding on the trip as I was doing 100 miles a day, so lucky it held off till
    after the ride. Still, only cost a tenner and they did it same day. Might be worth making a
    note of LBS's along the way in case of emergency ;-)

  3. John

    John Guest

    Point taken, I do like new bikes though and I do fancy a steel framed tourer, I'm just trying to
    justify it, probably, wasting my time and money.

    Cheers, John "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering doing an E2E next year and I am considering using my TREK 7700FX(2002) hybrid
    > bike(http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/city_bike/7700_fx.html) which is flat handle-barred(with
    > barends) and aluminium but i have fitted a rear
    rack
    > and mudguards and covered a few thousand miles on it since, I got it
    nearly
    > 2 yrs ago. I do prefer drop handlebars though(I have 2 race bikes as well), I don't know if its
    > worth converting this bike to drops(£200) or I was thinking of buying a Paul Hewitt Cheviot
    > touring bike(no, not a thorn), hopefully, I
    can
    > persuade my other half to put up with another bike in the garage,
    currently
    > standing at 4(hybrid,2xrace and MTB). What should I do ?

  4. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    John wrote:

    You definately need a steel framed tourer with downtube gear levers. (Just read your other post and
    your reply !) Low tech and reliable just what a successful tour needs. I am planning on E2E next
    year, mail me at mseries1965 @ hotmail dot com if you want to compare notes and look out for my
    posting regarding my LeJog Blog that I have started writing.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

  5. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Point taken, I do like new bikes though and I do fancy a steel framed tourer, I'm just trying to
    > justify it, probably, wasting my time and money.

    A nice touring bike would not be a waste of money, and it would make an ideal weapon for the E2E.
    However, you would want to get plenty of miles on it first to iron out all the bugs.

    --
    Dave...

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Point taken, I do like new bikes though and I do fancy a steel framed tourer, I'm just trying to
    > justify it, probably, wasting my time and
    money.

    heheh, nuttin' wrong with that John, your time, your money, go for
    it.....Remember, you don't have to justify nuthin' to no-one, it's your life too ;-)

  7. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > John wrote:
    >
    > You definately need a steel framed tourer with downtube gear levers. (Just read your other post
    > and your reply !) Low tech and reliable just what a successful tour needs.

    Bar-end levers are also fine for tourers.

    --
    Dave...