Is my metabolism slow or what?

Originally posted by stevek
I very much doubt animal fat is going to kill us. we have survived on it longer then any one thing in our history. but the combo of fat and high amounts of carbs that are usually processed will.
We will find that fats are not bad if not eating with lots of carbs and exercise will make all of the difference to what you can eat. The harder the more fat you can eat.
The food pyramid was never writing by doctors. That’s easy to look up and find out. The cereal companies have pounced on it. Like a bowl of grains that don’t have a lot of nutrition some milk (full of carbs) a little bit of fruit is a good food.
Low carbers are doing fine with exercise. They burn fat as fuel. I know on days I eat more fat for lunch I go faster on my bike.
Low fat was a marketing ploy that we fell for hook line and sinker. Other people of the world sure don’t eat that way. Low fat tents to promote eating more grains and sugar.
Low carb will promote eating more processed garbage.
I can’t eat grains and I don’t shy away from carbs. I want my carbs to come from good sources.

I think you're missing a little bit of information here, researchers have found that humans prior to agriculture did eat a good helping of carbs and most of the time, the women and children were the ones who got them. That was part of the hunter/gatherer society. The men hunted for the meat, the women/children got the carbs. It's not reasonable to think that humans subsisted entirely on meat and besides most primates are omnivores to begin with, especially chimpanzees.

I think you need to get yourself down to the docs mate, there are many eating disorders. The way you are sounds very much like:

Celiac Disease is an auto-immune disorder. Ingestion of a common protein called Gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and oats causes damage to the small intestine, resulting in many serious health problems.

The damage will prevent the body absorbing the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients it needs to stay healthy.

I know someone who had a mild form of it and it took ages to diagnose (they suffered weight loss and had loss of appetite as well), maybe your problem could be solved by simply removing gluten from your diet.

Do a google search see what you think

From what I see the diet consists of sugar and fat. Might as well drink coke all day.

Nobody looked up the glycemic index of those fruits?

Yea, bananas take 3 hours to get into your bloodstream which is why we eat them while racing for that slow release.

Maybe if it was coated with peanut butter...................

Originally posted by Danneh

Celiac Disease is an auto-immune disorder. Ingestion of a common protein called Gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and oats causes damage to the small intestine, resulting in many serious health problems.

After some research to get tested I have to eat grains for several days. if I do that will be nice and sick for a couple of weeks. so I think it is easier to try cutting all of the gluten out and see what happens. sure will be less misery (G)

Yea, bananas take 3 hours to get into your bloodstream which is why we eat them while racing for that slow release.

figures the most practical fruit is slow (G) well been eating a grapefruit a day and that seems to help. now if I could eat veggies as easily as fruit.

maltose which is primarily what a banana is made with has a real slow GI?

That was SARCASM about the banana taking 3 hours. If it did take more than 15-30min we'd all be bonking.

figures the most practical fruit is slow (G) well been eating a grapefruit a day and that seems to help. now if I could eat veggies as easily as fruit.
Steve, have you seen a doctor yet? Try reading over your posts and see if they (or your diet) sound normal to you!!!

of course it is not normal. but several people have given me some idea's. running to the doctor may not do anything but drain my already empty wallet.
I did cut out the power gel they did not do much and i have had more energy latly.

Stevek,

Doctors aren't trained in nutrition. The average medical school in the U.S. provides 4-hours of nutrition training for every 4-years of school. If you want to know about nutrition or what the numbers in a blood test are telling you, see a qualified nutritionist.

The idea that we evolved eating mostly meat is the stuff of 1960s and 1970s Hollywood caveman movies. A quick look at human physiology will reveal that humans don't possess the kind of bodies that true carnivores and omnivores possess, (i.e. canine teeth suitable for holding prey, claws, relatively strong stomach acid, and short, fast digestive systems). We're not natural hunters so before we developed weapons, we had little choice concerning what we had to eat. Natural hunters have natural weapons capable of taking down prey, (teeth, claws and the speed and power to catch and hold prey animals).

If you check any nutritional source you'll find that carbohydrates provide 4 KCals per gram, proteins provide 4 KCals per gram and fat provides 9 KCals per gram. If you want to feel full you have to place a certain mass into your stomach. If you want to lose weight you need to make sure that mass contains fewer calories per gram. Eating to satiety, (feeling full), with fats will put more than twice as many calories into your system. This isn't a good recipe for losing or controlling weight.

Quote: "That kidney thing about meat and protein has not been fact for most people."

Tell me which of these three disorders you're familiar with;

1. Kidney disease/stones
2. Osteoporosis
3. Kwashiokor

Kidney disease and osteoporosis are on the rise in the U.S. and osteoporosis is already at epidemic levels. I'm willing to bet you've never heard of anyone who suffered from Kwashiokor which is caused by a protein deficiency. The other two are caused from protein excess, (not to say that kidney disease doesn't have other causes). Doctors will tell you that osteoporosis is caused by a calcium deficiency despite the fact that people who eat lower protein diets don't suffer from osteoporosis even though they may consume far less calcium.

Nutritionists will tell you that osteoporosis, along with kidney failure, kidney stones and a number of other health problems, are caused by excess protein. Studies have repeatedly shown that calcium suppliments don't help. In EVERY instance, high-protein diets have lead to a negative calcium balance and low-protein diets have lead to a positive calcium balance despite the presence or absence of calcium suppliments.

Please listen closely to what 2LAP is trying to tell you. His advice falls directly in line with some of the most recognized and successful nutritionists in the country. I'm not talking about just financial successes. I'm talking about people who run clinics which are curing the incurable. Doctors and the AMA will tell you that the progression of heart disease can be slowed but not stopped. These nutritionists are reversing heart disease in their patients and they're doing it through reduced fat diets.

I've been reading through your posts and I'm genuinely worried about you. You're on the road to a calamity. I know it's difficult to change ideas concerning diet. I found myself in a position to make my own changes about a decade ago. I didn't want to think badly of what I'd grown up to believe but I started doing some research and found that there really was no option.

When doctors tell you that your cholesterol level is within an average range, what they're telling you is that you have a 1 in 2 chance of dying from a heart attack. That's what having an average cholesterol level means in the U.S. Doctors don't usually worry until after the cholesterol count rises above 200. People are dying of heart attacks at a frightening rate who have cholesterol counts of 160, which is "normal" for Americans.
Carbohydrates don't build up and cause blockage to coronary arteries, fats and cholesterol do.

2LAP knows what he's talking about and I believe he has an honest concern for your welfare. Please, for your own sake, listen to what he's telling you. I've worked heart attack calls as an ambulance attendant. You have to see the fear and foreboding in those eyes to understand. They can feel death overtaking them and there is nothing they can do. They know. You don't want to be the one on the gurney and I can guarantee you, that's where your diet is taking you.

Should I ever have the pleasure of seeing you on a climb I want to drop you because I'm working my butt off to do it, not because you're clutching your chest and gasping for your last breath. Hang in there with us. The world needs more cyclists. ;)

---------------

Truncated list of studies concerning the osteoporosis/protein connection:

"Effect of calcium intake on calcium balance of young men given 500mg calcium daily" - Journal of Nutrition 104:695, 1974

"Urinary calcium and calcium balance in young men as affected by level of protein and phosphorus intake" - Journal of nutrition 111:53, 1981

"Calcium retention of young adult males as affected by levels of protein and calcium intake" - Trans New York Academy of Science, 36:333, 1974

we evolved eating what we could find or catch or dig up or gather. hell we sould be eating insects like other cultures do.
but we did not evolve eating wonder bread either.
Mass idoes not mean full. You can eat less fat and be full far longer then eating more grains. Just ask a real low carber they are harly ever hungry. it's one reason why it is not so hard to loose weight on a low carb diet because your not hungry.
when I was eating more fat my last blood test came back really good.

I think this entire banter is a joke on this line alone:

' I found I need two hours before my ride with them. (sport gels)'

Are you making this up or do you have some research to back this up?

I think it's a joke or maybe it's that I take my gels right at the start of the race so that I'm raging with energy two hours later.

YOu really can't be serious and it's sad you are using so much space to jerk people around.

But as a matter of fact, you need two hours after you eat SUGAR because your insulin gets jacked up from the SUGAR in the gels so high that it then clears TOO MUCH glucose from your blood and you go hypoglycemic and feel tired.

This is the very same principle they use in feeding cattle corn which is high in sugar. Their blood sugar goes up and then crashes and then they are hungry again.

Now, we have a guy who eats sugar and sports gels yet is saying a food pyramid is bad? I'm not saying it is or isn't, but coming from a person making such claims is ridiculous.

Surely some of you are alert enough to call this out and put an end to this inane idiocy.

we evolved eating what we could find or catch or dig up or gather. hell we sould be eating insects like other cultures do.
but we did not evolve eating wonder bread either.
Mass idoes not mean full. You can eat less fat and be full far longer then eating more grains. Just ask a real low carber they are harly ever hungry. it's one reason why it is not so hard to loose weight on a low carb diet because your not hungry.
when I was eating more fat my last blood test came back really good.

*Sigh* :(

I think it's obvious who has done the research and who hasn't. All I can hope is that the seed of reason has been planted. Sometimes it just takes a while to sprout.

Originally posted by Chemicalanarchy
I think this entire banter is a joke on this line alone:

' I found I need two hours before my ride with them. (sport gels)'

Are you making this up or do you have some research to back this up?

I think it's a joke or maybe it's that I take my gels right at the start of the race so that I'm raging with energy two hours later.

YOu really can't be serious and it's sad you are using so much space to jerk people around.
I was going by the package it says 45 minutes.
actualy it seemed to take three hours to get any energy. but I found the Gels don't do much. Protien poder seems to give me mroe energy.
and thats pretty screwed up in it's self.
I ahve to find out what is going on with my wacky body.

Originally posted by Beastt
*Sigh* :(

I think it's obvious who has done the research and who hasn't. All I can hope is that the seed of reason has been planted. Sometimes it just takes a while to sprout.
yep I have never done any research. but I don't think you have into low carb.
americans seem to have the biggest problem with our diets.

actualy it seemed to take three hours to get any energy. but I found the Gels don't do much. Protien poder seems to give me mroe energy.

Agree you certainly shouldn't need to eat sugar or protein powder just to "get any energy". Unless you're during heavy training rides at high intensity, a normal diet, even a restricted-carb one, should allow you to feel good, ride your bike, and lose weight at the same time. I rode all last year, while restricting carbs, and losing 45 lbs to get to my goal weight. I totally avoided refined sugar, and still do except for sport drinks during rides over 2 hours.

You don't have a "wacky body", but maybe a serious metabolic and/or GI illness developing. if you're over 40, and overweight, you could well have Type 2 diabetes....it's not that rare a disease at all. As others have already said, celiac sprue could well be causing the inability to digest grains and other symptoms you keep complainting about here.

My free advice again is go to good doctor with your symptoms and complaints. If you can't afford medical care, seek out free clinics available many places, or other state aid. Your health is too precious to risk.

Part of the problem with going to the doctor is I have to suffer to do it.
There are several things I may have. To be checked for celiac I would have to eat grains for a couple of weeks to get a accurate test that may not be accurate. If I eat wheat for three days in a row I will have really bad flue like symptoms that lead to a upper respiratory infection. I think corn does it too and I am not sure about rice.
I could have grain allergies and not gluten allergies. I could have another problem with lack of flora in my gut.
So all the doc would tell me is not to eat those foods. So I cut out grains and started drinking kefir. It is full of really good cultures. It does seem to help I have had far less heartburn and other problems.
I had to eat the way I did to get decent energy. Not great energy though. Though I found fruit and protein powder seemed to do the best. I think my body is not absorbing everything that that's why I needed so much.
I can tell what foods my body does not like my lungs get tight (my asthma kicks in) and I can sneeze and itch. That happened with potatoes for breakfast yesterday. And I had some chilly with wheat protein in it I think same thing.
So I really have to watch out what I eat and see what happens. I don’t feel as tired today as I usually do on weekends when I don’t eat any fruit.

Believe the standard celiac diagnosis starts with a specific blood test (Celiac Blood Panel) , then if indicated, a biopsy of the small intestine. If damage is found, then your doctor would advise a strict gluten-free diet for a period of time to see if your other symptoms improve. If a doctor advised you to just eat lots of grains for 3 weeks to see how sick you'd get, I'd quickly find another doctor.

Anyway, as you said, you COULD have a lot of things. And, you could continue to spend your life trying home remedies while your health goes down and out. Ask yourself honestly if your approach to self-treatment has gotten you any health improvement.

Let me leave you with one thought....your healthcare is your choice. You can choose to seek real professional treatment. Or, you can just continue to self-diagnose and seek the advice of non-medical strangers (like me). There's always the local emergency room if things get really out of hand. Either way, best of luck in your decision.

I have joined a couple of Celiac groups and pretty much everyone tells me it is a very hard thing to diagnose. Allergies are another fun one. Doctors are not perfect and they are rushed and they love to do tests without knowing what is going on.
I have gone to a lot of doctors when I had insurance for my stomach problems and never got that much help but pills that only worked for a month.
I have been this way for over a year experimenting a month or so is not a major thing. I am not sick really.
But I am finding the foods that effect me and stop eating them. Wheat is a biggie potatoes made me tired too sugar kicks up my asthma for a bit too.
The Kefir is really helping problems out. I don’t feel as tired and my heartburn is far better controlled. Once I get the real stuff and not the store bought it may help even more.
I am usually behind on my bills. I need dental work too. I work usually from 8 to 8 or so with two ours of commute in-between. No time to earn extra money. If things get worse I may go but who do I go to without going to doc’s that will just refer me and send me a bill?

Might want to read that package again. Doesn't it say something more like "provides immediate energy for approximately 45 minutes"? If it took 45 minutes for an energy gel to kick in, it'd be useless.

As far as obtaining energy from a protein powder goes, most protein powders are clearly labeled as "recovery drinks". They're for after the ride and the idea is to provide enough protein to help repair the damage to muscles caused by exercise. It's a very common misconception. Protein is not about energy. It's about rebuilding after the energy expenditure.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/sports-physiology2.htm
"Aerobic respiration can also use fatty acids from fat reserves in muscle and the body to produce ATP. In extreme cases (like starvation), proteins can also be broken down into amino acids and used to make ATP. Aerobic respiration would use carbohydrates first, then fats and finally proteins, if necessary."

Aerobic respiration is the method the body uses to provide most of the muscle energy required for cycling. The body has two other systems for providing energy to the muscles but both are exhausted very quickly, (phosphagen system and the glycogen-lactic acid system).

The phophagen system utilizes stores of ATP already in the muscle cells but is depleted in about 3 seconds.

The glycogen-lactic acid system utilizes glycogen stored in the muscle cells, splits it down into glucose and utilizes anerobic metabolism to convert the glucose into ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) and lactic acid. The muscles then convert the ATP to ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate) and utilize the energy released in breaking the third phosphate bond to fuel muscle contraction. After that first minute or two, you're running almost entirely on aerobic respiration.

Aerobic respiration starts to occur once the heart and lungs have kicked in enough to start supplying the necessary oxygen and additional glucose to the muscles. The glucose comes from that stored in the muscles, stores held in the liver and from the digestive system. With sufficient oxygen present, the glucose is converted to ATP, carbon dioxide and water. Note that under normal conditions, protein isn't used to create ATP in any of these systems, although as mentioned, in severe cases, the body can begin to break down proteins but by the time this happens to any significant degree, you're already in trouble.

Of course all of this is an over-simplification which is good for me because it keeps my head above water for a few extra seconds. There are also different types of muscle cells involved, (fast twitch and slow twitch), but the general idea remains the same.

I have good reason to believe that what's going on with your "wacky body" is your wacky diet and perhaps, as others suspect, the onset of type-II diabetes which will be aggravated by your high-fat diet.

my deit evolved to give me energy. I did not always eat this way. but it was the only way I found a good source of energy.
I think I have a pretty good grain allergy or carb allergy as sugar in some forms and potatoes gets too me too.
the Kefir is really helping out with the energy and a few other things. I will stay way from grains complety for awhile and see wht happens. I don't have diabetes as Iwas tested a year ago. My diet is not high fat compared to most low carb diets. if i was not eating fruit I would need mroe fat for energy since I don't eat grains.