Is My Pump Broken?

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I went to use my 3 month old Pedros pump and I think it's broke. It's like there is no resistance, if you pull the handle up it just comes crashing down. Is this somethiing I can repair or do I have to buy a new one?

You should check to see if it is covered under any sort of warranty. If it is, Pedros will send you a new one. I would say that the typical warranty can last anywhere from 30 days and up to even 5 years, but you have to check your documentation.

Good luck.
jwroubaix said:
I went to use my 3 month old Pedros pump and I think it's broke. It's like there is no resistance, if you pull the handle up it just comes crashing down. Is this somethiing I can repair or do I have to buy a new one?

jwroubaix said:
For your future reference (or, if there isn't a warranty), allowing that the pump can be disassembled, remove (unscrew?) the cap which is just below the handle (at the top of the cylinder) ...

The DIAPHRAGM which is at the end of the plunger is probably "damaged" ... in the past, the diaphragm on (floor) pumps was simply a piece of leather ...

So, you should be able to replace the existing diaphragm with a piece of moderately-/reasonably-stiff "scrap" leather (e.g., the "weight" of the leather on those tags which sometimes accompany the item you are buying declaring that it is made of "genuine leather") that is cut-to-fit (some precision IS required as you want the plunger to work with an almost air-tight seal, BUT it doesn't have to be perfect ... just larger than the inner diameter of the pump's cylinder) ... you may want to OIL the scrap of leather ... maybe, not (who can remember?) ... a few drops of HOUSEHOLD OIL will cause the leather the swell a small amount as well as lube the edges of the diaphragm.

And, yes, I repaired one of my floor pumps in the past by replacing the diaphragm using the described method.

It sounds like the air is not getting into the pump on the upstroke. Try unscrewing the collar at the top of the pump tube, pulling out the whole rod with the plunger (leather washer or diaphram) at the end. Give the plunger a massage and a little oil. When putting it back into the tube you must carefully fold the circular edge of the plunger forward all around and do not let it fold back as it goes in. This applies to typical pumps.

Some pumps use little ball bearing valves that sometimes stick, specially if they get rusty. If you can see the ball valve, prod it loose and give it a drop of oil. Otherwise just put a few drops of oil into any holes where you think the ball valve might be and see if the pump begins to work after some exercise.