Is my rear mech GS or SGS?

Rob

Guest
My bike originally came with an LX RDM-570 from 2001. It looked like it
was an SGS so I purchased an XT RDM-751 SGS to replace it.

The weird thing is that they are different sizes. Measuring directly
betweeen the centre point of the jockey wheels, the LX is 85mm whilst
the XT is 100mm.

Does this mean that the LX is actually a GS? There doesn't seem to be
any markings on it to indentify it as GS or SGS. Has the design changed
over the past few years and SGS is now a little bit longer?

Are there any resources on the web such as an "exploded view" with
dimensions for shimano products?

Thanks.

FWIW, I just measured the short cage XT that I bought a couple of days back
and it's 68mm between the jockey wheel centres...

"Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My bike originally came with an LX RDM-570 from 2001. It looked like it
> was an SGS so I purchased an XT RDM-751 SGS to replace it.
>
> The weird thing is that they are different sizes. Measuring directly
> betweeen the centre point of the jockey wheels, the LX is 85mm whilst
> the XT is 100mm.
>
> Does this mean that the LX is actually a GS? There doesn't seem to be
> any markings on it to indentify it as GS or SGS. Has the design changed
> over the past few years and SGS is now a little bit longer?
>
> Are there any resources on the web such as an "exploded view" with
> dimensions for shimano products?
>
> Thanks.

Pretty sure that the m580 is the first lx to come in gs.

There are exploded diagrams on the Shimano Europe web site at
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/global/techdocs/browse.jsp?JSESSIONID=D2m1f4RQ2l8jLJ821xD3NR84ccmzTg5flGsjm6T406t52CbHnmVp!350000430&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181426&bmUID=1140221567711,
but they're not dimensioned...

Nick Payne wrote:
> There are exploded diagrams on the Shimano Europe web site at
> http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/global/techdocs/browse.jsp?JSESSIONID=D2m1f4RQ2l8jLJ821xD3NR84ccmzTg5flGsjm6T406t52CbHnmVp!350000430&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181426&bmUID=1140221567711,
> but they're not dimensioned...

They're to scale, so if you put it up on the screen and zoom in and out to
just the right size, you can put the derailleur up to the screen and check
with your eyes. Be sure to use whiteout on the screen while you're
word-processing, too.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training