Is my rear mech GS or SGS?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rob, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    My bike originally came with an LX RDM-570 from 2001. It looked like it
    was an SGS so I purchased an XT RDM-751 SGS to replace it.

    The weird thing is that they are different sizes. Measuring directly
    betweeen the centre point of the jockey wheels, the LX is 85mm whilst
    the XT is 100mm.

    Does this mean that the LX is actually a GS? There doesn't seem to be
    any markings on it to indentify it as GS or SGS. Has the design changed
    over the past few years and SGS is now a little bit longer?

    Are there any resources on the web such as an "exploded view" with
    dimensions for shimano products?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    FWIW, I just measured the short cage XT that I bought a couple of days back
    and it's 68mm between the jockey wheel centres...

    "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My bike originally came with an LX RDM-570 from 2001. It looked like it
    > was an SGS so I purchased an XT RDM-751 SGS to replace it.
    >
    > The weird thing is that they are different sizes. Measuring directly
    > betweeen the centre point of the jockey wheels, the LX is 85mm whilst
    > the XT is 100mm.
    >
    > Does this mean that the LX is actually a GS? There doesn't seem to be
    > any markings on it to indentify it as GS or SGS. Has the design changed
    > over the past few years and SGS is now a little bit longer?
    >
    > Are there any resources on the web such as an "exploded view" with
    > dimensions for shimano products?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Pretty sure that the m580 is the first lx to come in gs.

  4. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    There are exploded diagrams on the Shimano Europe web site at
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/global/techdocs/browse.jsp?JSESSIONID=D2m1f4RQ2l8jLJ821xD3NR84ccmzTg5flGsjm6T406t52CbHnmVp!350000430&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181426&bmUID=1140221567711,
    but they're not dimensioned...

  5. Nick Payne wrote:
    > There are exploded diagrams on the Shimano Europe web site at
    > http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/global/techdocs/browse.jsp?JSESSIONID=D2m1f4RQ2l8jLJ821xD3NR84ccmzTg5flGsjm6T406t52CbHnmVp!350000430&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181426&bmUID=1140221567711,
    > but they're not dimensioned...

    They're to scale, so if you put it up on the screen and zoom in and out to
    just the right size, you can put the derailleur up to the screen and check
    with your eyes. Be sure to use whiteout on the screen while you're
    word-processing, too.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training