Is my training philosophy accurate?

cs5150

Jul 23, 2005
I push a large gear all the time (53 x 15). I can hold an average cadence of 72-75 RPM's on flat roads.
My way of thinking is that if I continually push this gear I will eventually be able to spin at higher cadences which would raise may average speed.

I'm basing this approach by watching the pros who appear to be pushing a very large gear at high cadences.

Will this type of training raise my average speed or am I way off base.

cs5150 said:
I push a large gear all the time (53 x 15). I can hold an average cadence of 72-75 RPM's on flat roads.
My way of thinking is that if I continually push this gear I will eventually be able to spin at higher cadences which would raise may average speed.

I'm basing this approach by watching the pros who appear to be pushing a very large gear at high cadences.

Will this type of training raise my average speed or am I way off base.
Not far off how I will train for a 3000m individual pursuit. I have a target power output and goal cadence (115rpm). My specific efforts will be based on delivering power at this cadence and as I get stronger will go up in the gears.

My only suggestion would be to aim for a slightly higher cadence of 90rpm on the flat and 80rpm on the climbs. If you are training for racing then it would also pay to do some work at faster cadences (100-130) to prepare for the large variations in speed that occur in the bunch and that most races end in a bunch sprint.