Is My Watts/Weight Ratio Any Good For Never Cycling Before

Maroochy Guy

Jun 29, 2012
Ok...just a little bit of info about me, I'm an injured runner who's been using the exercise bike at the gym for the last couple of weeks while my achilles hopefully gets better. Ive been paying close attention to the watts output as it's a good figure to look at to see how I'm going from workout to workout, especially the average watts at the end of the session. I googled 'watts' and 'cycling' and it seems like its a pretty important measure of cycling ability. I weigh 79kg and I was able to average 365 watts for a 25 minute session, going a little beyond my lactate threshold, so I couldn't of held it for too much longer. Just doing the math it looks like I'm producing 4.62 watts/kg. Ive never even considered cycling as a sport because I love running so much, but does this figure indicate any natural ability? The reason I ask is that I'm a good runner, but not an awesome runner (18:30 for 5km). Does this watts/kg indicate more ability than my running form? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Maroochy Guy .

Ok...just a little bit of info about me, I'm an injured runner who's been using the exercise bike at the gym for the last couple of weeks while my achilles hopefully gets better. Ive been paying close attention to the watts output as it's a good figure to look at to see how I'm going from workout to workout, especially the average watts at the end of the session. I googled 'watts' and 'cycling' and it seems like its a pretty important measure of cycling ability. I weigh 79kg and I was able to average 365 watts for a 25 minute session, going a little beyond my lactate threshold, so I couldn't of held it for too much longer. Just doing the math it looks like I'm producing 4.62 watts/kg. Ive never even considered cycling as a sport because I love running so much, but does this figure indicate any natural ability? The reason I ask is that I'm a good runner, but not an awesome runner (18:30 for 5km). Does this watts/kg indicate more ability than my running form? Thanks.
Yes. However, I wouldn't put too much stock in the accuracy of any exercise bike in a commercial gym. Moreover, there is a lot more to competitive success in cycling than just your sustainable power output. There is therefore only one way to find out how good you can be: buy a bike, start training on it, and enter some races.

Thanks for your reply. I've been told by the physiotherapist to stay off my feet for another fortnight, so since i'm enjoying my time on the exercise bike i'll more than likely be buying a road bike very soon. The gym i go to calibrate their equipment every three months, but even then the true reading could be inaccurate.

As you say, the best way to see how good I am is to get out there is to start training and racing. Thanks.

Yep, only one way to find out! I also second cautioning against putting much stock in power from an exercise bike, beyond using it as a gauge for how you are training when you use that particular bike it may or may not be good for much else

I can push ALOT more watts on an exercise bike in my gym than I can on the road. I don't trust anything gym equipment state in terms of watts and calories.