IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andrew, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for solvent
    to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy.
    sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
    solvent was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific
    name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for
    > solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the
    > paint guy. sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not
    > know which solvent was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol
    > which specific name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?
    > thanks guys

    If you're going to use a solvent then it's better to use a fast(er) drying (evaporating) type like
    Lacquer thinner or perhaps MEK, just don't take a big whiff of it. Acetone is too fast. Also, keep
    it away from any plugged-in electrical appliances or open flames. This sounds like common sense, but
    trust me, I used to paint houses.

    Personally, I find the citrus type/simple green cleaners much more user friendly and versatile.

    --
    Slacker

  3. Jeff Martin

    Jeff Martin Guest

    I always have used and still use Kerosene. I go through about a gallon every 3-4 years. Works great
    and is much safer then using gas. "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
    depot
    > asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
    second
    > guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
    came
    > back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
    solvent
    > was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i
    > dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    dang X posters!!! ughhh

  5. Andrew wrote:
    > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for
    > solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the
    > paint guy. sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not
    > know which solvent was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol
    > which specific name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?
    > thanks guys

    kerosene, gasolene are good, MEK and the fast eveporators are a little hard to work with ( unless
    you want to huff them while you work). simple green works well on light degreasing jobs but it and
    other 'degreasers' can harm the finish on aluminum; if you use it wash it off quickly.

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
    depot
    > asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
    second
    > guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
    came
    > back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
    solvent
    > was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i
    > dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys

    Diesel works pretty good for me...
    --
    Westie

  7. Andrew wrote:

    > so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i dont
    > remember.

    This could almost be a story from any housing scheme in Glasgow in the 80s or
    90s.

  8. On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:50:31 -0500, Andrew wrote:

    > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for
    > solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the
    > paint guy. sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not
    > know which solvent was good.

    There are lots of paint thinners. Turpentine seems to stick around a lot, so may not be the best. I
    sometimes use kerosene; it's cheap, and is an effective solvent for grease and such.

    But mostly I use Simple Green. It is not as cheap, but less volatile, and works fine.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

  9. On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:

    > kerosene, gasolene are good,

    Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks. That
    is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the surfaces,
    which is not what you want for cleaning.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can _`\(,_ | assure you that mine
    are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

  10. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:26:35 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:
    >
    >> kerosene, gasolene are good,
    >
    >Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks. That
    >is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the surfaces,
    >which is not what you want for cleaning.

    Flaming mountain bikers - imagine the environmental impact! ;)

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  11. Slash wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:26:35 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> scribbled:
    >

    >>On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:
    >>

    >>>kerosene, gasolene are good,
    >>
    >>Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks.
    >>That is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the
    >>surfaces, which is not what you want for cleaning.
    >

    > Flaming mountain bikers - imagine the environmental impact! ;)
    >
    > -Slash
    > --
    > "Ebert Victorious"
    >
    > - The Onion

    Flaming mountain bikers? I thought it was usually the roadies who were flaming...

    Jon Bond yeah, so I have a road bike, what of it? Technically its not mine ;)

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
    depot
    > asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
    second
    > guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
    came
    > back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
    solvent
    > was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i
    > dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys

    Any of those will clean out the grease and crud. Be sure to thoroughly remove all the grit and rinse
    out any stuff inthe threads of the axle too.

  13. David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:
    >

    >>kerosene, gasolene are good,
    >

    > Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks.
    > That is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the
    > surfaces, which is not what you want for cleaning.

    gas is a great grease buster one of the best there is. it is cheap (or at least it was) and most
    people have it around. the little bit of additive left over hurts nothing and will wash off with
    'soft' degreaser. if you are worried about blowing yourself up i don't recommend you attempt
    mecanical repairs.

  14. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Not in a martini. For that, I prefer Bombay Sapphire. I've tried other gins, but they taste a bit
    too much like paint thinner.

  15. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for
    > solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the
    > paint guy. sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not
    > know which solvent was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol
    > which specific name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?
    > thanks guys

    I use WD-40 here.

    David

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:
    >
    > > kerosene, gasolene are good,
    >
    > Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks.
    > That is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the
    > surfaces, which is not what you want for cleaning.

    You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner - just make sure you do
    it outside and away from sources of ignition. Any residues left will be totally harmless to your
    bearings/other metal parts - you think they'd put anything in petrol that would damage contacting
    and moving metal parts? Then why TF would they have it going into a car engine?!?

    HTH,

    Shaun aRe

  17. "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
    depot
    > asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
    second
    > guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
    came
    > back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
    solvent
    > was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i
    > dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys

    WD40

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  18. Robert Chung writes:

    >Not in a martini. For that, I prefer Bombay Sapphire. I've tried other gins, but they taste a bit
    >too much like paint thinner.

    Be honest - you only buy the Sapphire for the bottle. Feckin' poseurs! ;-))

    Steve

  19. James Connell wrote:

    > kerosene, gasolene are good,

    Please don't use gasoline for anything but a fuel.

    There are so many other good solvents that don't have fumes that cling to humans and explode.
    Kerosene, citrus solvents, mineral spirits, etc... are cheap and much safer.

    Barry

  20. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
    | depot
    | > asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
    | second
    | > guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
    | came
    | > back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
    | solvent
    | > was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name
    | > i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys
    | >

    | WD40
    |
    | --
    Not sure what you are meaning but if its cleaning of greased parts then it is obvious to use a
    degreaser....... I use Gunk! Most car/automobile shops will have this so too will most motocross
    shops. Just brush on leave for a few mins then rinse. After that totally regrease all parts needed.

    Simon.........did I miss the point?