IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Isopropyl Alcohol is a lot less toxic to you skin and
lungs than things like
> acetone, MEK, & thinners. Those are some serious
carcinogenic organic
> solvents and should be used with great care (even though
they're generally
> not). I use diluted citric degreaser to get the grime off,
then rinse in
> alcohol to get rid of any residue.

This is true, but like any alcohol, isopropyl can ruin rubber parts like seals.

Matt O.

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:
>
> > kerosene, gasolene are good,
>
> Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and
can easily
> ignite from small sparks. That is how a car works, guys.
Also, there
> are additives that are designed to stick to the surfaces,
which is not
> what you want for cleaning.

Also, both the fumes and the liquid itself (in contact with skin) are extremely poisonous.

Don't use gasoline. A lot of people do, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Matt O.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Robert Adams" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A slightly different question, but - Has anyone managed
to buy
> > citric acid in bulk? I remeber being told that this
would be easy
> > to pick up from chemical suppliers and should make good
citrus
> > deagreaser once added to water.
>
> As you will find in another thread, citrus degreasers are
not citric
> acid based. Citric acid is Vitamin C and is not a
degreaser.

Citric acid is not the same as the citrus degreasers seen everywhere. These contain limonene, a
completely different compound. However, citric acid is an effective cleaner which has been very
popular in the past, particularly before all these (better) modern products were available. You may
still be able to find it in powdered form at a janitorial supply. Some window cleaners still use it
to clean hard water deposits from glass, though there are better things for that now too.

Take advantage of modern chemistry, and use something designed for the task. Frankly, you can't do
much better than automotive parts cleaner. It's effective, cheap, and safe. It's environmentally
friendly because you don't need to throw it away -- you can keep the same container around for
years, dunking your parts into it whenever necessary.

Matt O.

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
depot
> asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
second
> guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
came
> back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
solvent
> was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name i
> dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle? thanks guys

I have a stupid question ;) I know some of you wash your bikes in the shower and I know some of you
use simple green when washing. But do you use the simple green in the shower? I usually just go
outside to the driveway and do all the washing and maintenance, but now I have a new apartment and I
don't really have a driveway anymore. Maybe I should just spread on some newspapers on the balcony?

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for
> solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the
> paint guy. sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not
> know which solvent was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol
> which specific name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?

Yes, but Simple Green is better, faster and cleaner.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Not in a martini. For that, I prefer Bombay Sapphire. I've tried other gins, but they taste a bit
> too much like paint thinner.

Real funny thing - there is a guy on one of the science newsgroups. He was designing and building
heat pipes for practical use. I can't remember the exact application but he does have some patents
in the stuff now I think.

He kept trying all sorts of liquid phases for the heat carrier and finally he got it to work - using
a certain brand of gin. When he got the heat pipe to work it went from cold to boiling at the far
end in a second. It also made a "BONG" sound when it went into transfer mode.

news:<[email protected]>...
> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:43:55 -0500, James Connell wrote:
> >
> > > kerosene, gasolene are good,
> >
> > Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks.
> > That is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the
> > surfaces, which is not what you want for cleaning.
>
> You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner

It happens every single day in the US. Especially nasty in a garage where the clothes dryer or water
heater flame or coils can ignite gas vapors and blow your butt into the middle of the street while
lighting a nice fire in your house.

As Dr. Johnson suggests you should never use gasoline. Even in open air it's a problem. Kerosene is
better but Simple Green is non-flammible, biodegradable and cheap. And it works fine on even heavy
grease jobs with the simple addition of hot water.

Don't be stupid. Alcohol doesn't cut many types of grease. MEK and Acetone go right through yoru
skin and can cause serious physiological problems. Gasoline is explosive. Kerosene is tolerable.
Orange/Citrus cleaners and Simple Green are by far the best compromise.

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a stupid question ;) I know some of you wash your bikes in the shower and I know some of
> you use simple green when washing. But do you use the simple green in the shower? I usually just
> go outside to the driveway and do all the washing and maintenance, but now I have a new apartment
> and I don't really have a driveway anymore. Maybe I should just spread on some newspapers on the
> balcony?

This may be a troll but is sure is a charming troll....

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:31:16 -0800, Cinder Girl wrote:

> I have a stupid question ;)

...and here it comes...

> Maybe I should just spread on some newspapers on the balcony?

So many places to go with that one...

Back to the issue: Simple green will dissolve the grease and together they'll become a nasty soapy
mess that needs to be washed off. Outdoors is really best. Isn't there a faucet anywhere in your
apartment, where you could use a garden hose?

Gunk was designed to brush on a dirty engine with lots of baked on grease and oil. Good stuff but
definitely overkill for working on a bike.

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to
home
> | depot
> | > asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40.
asked a
> | second
> | > guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple
green.
> | came
> | > back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know
which
> | solvent
> | > was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an
alcohol which
> | > specific name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?
> | > thanks guys
> | >

> | WD40
> |
> | --
> | DTW .../\.../\.../\...
> Not sure what you are meaning but if its cleaning of greased parts
then it
> is obvious to use a degreaser....... I use Gunk! Most car/automobile
shops
> will have this so too will most motocross shops. Just brush on leave
for a
> few mins then rinse. After that totally regrease all parts needed.
>
> Simon.........did I miss the point?

Gasoline will evaporate at room temperature and the fumes will remain low to the ground. If working
in a garage or basement with a gas hot water heater or furnace with a pilot light will ignite the
fumes and the fire will run back to the stuff you are working with. You can actually start a fire
with gasoline without being stupid or "introducing" any spark or ignition on your part.

Good Luck

--
http://members.cox.net/gporter1970 "Andrew Webster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner
>
> <cut>
>
> Possibly, but you can very easily burn yourself severely as any source of ignition can quickly
> ignite fumes and run back to the main container. Scenarios where you spill petrol on you then
> accidentally ignite it from a spark/heater/cigarette are best avoided. Using petrol as a cleaning
> solvent is an accident waiting to happen.
>
> A freind I once knew lost his father through burns caused by carelessness with petrol.
>
> It is certainly not safe for routine use in an uncontrolled environment.
>
> Parrafin (Kerosene) is safer. Paint thinner ("white spirit") is even better from a fire point of
> view. Use in a well ventilated space.

Among commonly available solvents, paint thinner is still the least expensive and safest for
cleaning machine parts. Kerosene is usually twice as expensive and most others even more so.

As was mentioned, nearly all the more volatile solvents either present a great fire hazard or should
not be brought in contact with skin because they easily penetrate into the bloodstream and cause
internal damage... or both, as with gasoline. All that spray-can stuff is for folks who don't want
to touch anything dirty, cost a pile, and doesn't do the job. Ideally, a wash basin with a false
bottom (baffle) below which grit and metal debris sink, is the best. That's why good mechanics shops
use them. They are the best at getting grit (the principal cause of chain wear) out of chains.

In any case, cleaned parts need to be dry before lubricating and re-installing or you'll have a lube
that is thinned with paint thinner.

Get some good rubber gloves as well. Organic solvents will readily penetrate the skin, bringing
along whatever was disolved in it!

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home depot asked a guy for
> solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a second guy who said go to paint. asked the
> paint guy. sent me to simple green. came back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not
> know which solvent was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol
> which specific name i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?
> thanks guys

Thought there was some DoD directive not to use Simplegreen on Military Aircraft as it was suspected
to making the alloy parts brittle?

> "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I decided to overhaul my hubs, so i needed some solvent. went to home
depot
> > asked a guy for solvent to clean bke parts. sent me to wd40. asked a
second
> > guy who said go to paint. asked the paint guy. sent me to simple green.
came
> > back to paint found the solvents. then realized i did not know which
solvent
> > was good. so i bought paint thinner, got tempted by acetone, and an alcohol which specific name
> > i dont remember. so is thinner good enough to clean bearings cones and axle?
>
> Yes, but Simple Green is better, faster and cleaner.

Mineral spirits can be a better choice than paint thinner, about twice as expensive. I mix mine with
Mobil 1 (4:1) for a chain lube and cleaner combo.

Probably the cheapest is diesel fuel or home heating oil (same stuff, no highway taxes). Diesel is
about 1.70 a gal now, just need to bring your own can. Kerosene is not all that different,
packaging/hardware store channel much cause it to be more expensive.

Good luck

> Among commonly available solvents, paint thinner is still the least expensive and safest for
> cleaning machine parts. Kerosene is usually twice as expensive and most others even more so.
>
> As was mentioned, nearly all the more volatile solvents either present a great fire hazard or
> should not be brought in contact with skin because they easily penetrate into the bloodstream and
> cause internal damage... or both, as with gasoline. All that spray-can stuff is for folks who
> don't want to touch anything dirty, cost a pile, and doesn't do the job. Ideally, a wash basin
> with a false bottom (baffle) below which grit and metal debris sink, is the best. That's why good
> mechanics shops use them. They are the best at getting grit (the principal cause of chain wear)
> out of chains.
>
> In any case, cleaned parts need to be dry before lubricating and re-installing or you'll have a
> lube that is thinned with paint thinner.

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Robert Adams" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A slightly different question, but - Has anyone managed to buy citric acid in bulk? I remeber
> > being told that this would be easy to pick up from chemical suppliers and should make good
> > citrus deagreaser once added to water.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As you will find in another thread, citrus degreasers are not citric acid based. Citric acid is
> Vitamin C and is not a degreaser.

I thought vitamin C was ascorbic acid. The auto industrry has lots of nice solvents sold as "brake
wash" . Those need to be volatile enough to not leave a residue and are mostly alcohol nowadays.

On 4/2/03 7:21 PM, in article [email protected], "Wantagofast"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Thought there was some DoD directive not to use Simplegreen on Military Aircraft as it was
> suspected to making the alloy parts brittle?

You TREASONOUS Rat *******!!!! You are jeopardizing National Security!! Now the Iraqi Republican
guard will be arming themselves with Simple Green spray bottles!! I heard a CIA rumor Saddam got a
bro deal on MAX-D 6000's!!!

<http://www.supersoaker.com/2002_product/maxd/maxd_6000.htm>

God help us all...........