IS PAINT THINNER ANY GOOD?

"Wantagofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thought there was some DoD directive not to use Simplegreen on Military Aircraft as it was
> suspected to making the alloy parts brittle?

There it is. The terrorist plot. The Iraqis must own stock in Simple Green.

Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Do not use gasoline as a solvent. It is too volatile, and can easily ignite from small sparks.
> > > That is how a car works, guys. Also, there are additives that are designed to stick to the
> > > surfaces, which is not what you want for cleaning.
> >
> > You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner
>
> It happens every single day in the US.

Exactly ',;~}

> Especially nasty in a garage where the clothes dryer or water heater flame or coils can ignite gas
> vapors and blow your butt into the middle of the street while lighting a nice fire in your house.

That's why I said OUTSIDE - heck, you'd have to be _stupid_ to use it indoors. See what I was
getting at now?

Do not play with petrol if you are _stupid_. If you ain't, there is no problem.

Shaun aRe

George L. Porter, IV <gporter1970(nospam)@cox.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gasoline will evaporate at room temperature and the fumes will remain low
> the ground. If working in a garage or basement with a gas hot water
heater
> or furnace with a pilot light will ignite the fumes and the fire will run back to the stuff you
> are working with. You can actually start a fire
with
> gasoline without being stupid or "introducing" any spark or ignition on
your
> part.
>
> Good Luck

Like I said - DO IT OUTSIDE....sheesh.....

Shaun aRe - sometimes, you just use what you got, see?

On 02 Apr 2003, A Muzi wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> As you will find in another thread, citrus degreasers are not citric acid based. Citric acid is
>> Vitamin C and is not a degreaser.
>
> I thought vitamin C was ascorbic acid. The auto industrry has lots of nice solvents sold as "brake
> wash" . Those need to be volatile enough to not leave a residue and are mostly alcohol nowadays.

To add insult to injury, the active compound in citrus degreasers is usualy one of the limonenes.
Degreaser is made from the peel, not the flesh of the fruit. Note that while these may be "natural",
limonenes are also good biocides. Don't pour citrus degreasers down the sink.

--
Kind Regards, Bruce.

In article <[email protected]>,
Jobst Brandt <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ideally, a wash basin with a false bottom (baffle) below which grit and metal debris sink, is the
> best. That's why good mechanics shops use them. They are the best at getting grit (the principal
> cause of chain wear) out of chains.

I recently tried cleaning a chain by putting the removed chain in a jar half full of paint thinner,
capping it, and shaking vigorously for about a minute. Before trying that, I'd already removed much
of the dirt/grit using a water-based cleaner (another experiment, which didn't work well). The paint
thinner turned black after shaking. Pouring the used solvent out, adding clean solvent, and shaking
again, yielded a jar full of grayish solution. Repeating a third time yielded a fairly clean
solution, at which point it seemed like that was enough.

This was a glass jar, about half a liter in size, with a large cap, and I was shaking hard enough
that I was a bit worried that the glass might break. Indeed, I still am; next time I'll use a
plastic container. (The metal lid had numerous small dents in it from the chain impacts.) I don't
recommend that others use glass, at least not if they are going to shake vigorously, as seems
indicated.

The dirty paint thinner need not be discarded; if left standing for a week or two, all the grit
settles out to the bottom, and clean solution can be poured off the top.

Shaking vigorously, so that the chain rattles around, is much quicker and more effective than trying
to stir the chain around with a stick, as I had been doing previously. I wouldn't be surprised if
this method were superior to a wash basin, even without considering the cost of the latter, the
space it takes up, and the amount of solvent that needs to be purchased to fill it.

--
Norman Yarvin [email protected]

"Bruce Hollebone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... -snip- the active compound in citrus
> degreasers is usualy one of the limonenes. Degreaser is made from the peel, not the flesh of the
> fruit. Note that while these may be "natural", limonenes are also good biocides. Don't pour citrus
> degreasers down the sink.

??? You're kidding, right? You think 280 milion Americans keep the dirty stuff in a bottle under
their beds or what?

OK, I'll bite. What do _you_ do with it? I pour it down the sink.

On 04 Apr 2003, A Muzi wrote:

> "Bruce Hollebone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... -snip- the active compound in citrus
>> degreasers is usualy one of the limonenes. Degreaser is made from the peel, not the flesh of the
>> fruit. Note that while these may be "natural", limonenes are also good biocides. Don't pour
>> citrus degreasers down the sink.
>
> ??? You're kidding, right? You think 280 milion Americans keep the dirty stuff in a bottle under
> their beds or what?
>
> OK, I'll bite. What do _you_ do with it? I pour it down the sink.

We pay someone large amounts of money to dispose of it as contaminated waste. Industrially, it's on
our no-go list. We also have to be careful using it as spill treatment agent.

For small amounts, you can flush with large amounts of water. The solution for pollution
is dilution.

--
Kind Regards, Bruce.

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:31:16 -0500, Cinder Girl wrote:

> I have a stupid question ;) I know some of you wash your bikes in the shower and I know some of
> you use simple green when washing. But do you use the simple green in the shower?

I suppose that is better than showering in gasoline, but I prefer soap and shampoo.

> I usually just go outside to the driveway and do all the washing

To the great interest of your neighbors, no doubt.

> and maintenance, but now I have a new apartment and I don't really have a driveway anymore.

Teaches you to not shower on the driveway.

> Maybe I should just spread on some newspapers on the balcony?

To actually address your question, I have to start with another one: why wash your bike at all?
I have actually heard of people taking their bikes into the shower; in fact, our club can't use one
particular hotel for weekend events because people actually did this.

But washing the bike will get water in the bearings. Pressure washing is even worse, but showering
would be bad enough.

I clean my bike with an old towel, sometimes adding a bit of WD-40. If it really got muddy, let it
dry and the mud will flake off. Then oil exposed parts like the derailleurs, clean the chain, and if
you are fanatical, wax the frame.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
> > You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner - just make sure
> > you do it outside and away from sources of ignition.
>
> Still a bad idea, as others have pointed out. "Sources of ignition" could be as simple as a spark
> generated by dropping a tool onto a concrete floor or patio. The floor is where the gasoline fumes
> accumulate, anyway.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/nccfire/news02/news11.html

The fire started as resident Clark Staves was restoring a 1976 Toyota Landcruiser. He was draining
gas from the tank, which he had planned to repair, when a heater ignited the gas fumes, Kopp said.

I know that guy. He lost his house because he had gasoline and gasoline fumes near a space heater in
his garage.

It is just not worth messing with gasoline when there are safer alternatives for cleaning.

Morgan

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 04:02:24 -0500, Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner - just make sure you
> do it outside and away from sources of ignition.

Still a bad idea, as others have pointed out. "Sources of ignition" could be as simple as a spark
generated by dropping a tool onto a concrete floor or patio. The floor is where the gasoline fumes
accumulate, anyway.

> Any residues left will be totally harmless to your bearings/other metal parts - you think they'd
> put anything in petrol that would damage contacting and moving metal parts?

Actually, yes. Lead compounds used to be added to gasoline, specifically to coat the valves. That
is why unleaded gas is bad for older cars; the valves do not last without that residue. Modern
valves are different, in ways I don't know, but there are still additives in gasoline that leave
behind a residue.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve _`\(,_ | death. And some that die
deserve life. Can you give it to (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in
judgement. -- J. R. R. Tolkein

> Actually, yes. Lead compounds used to be added to
gasoline, specifically
> to coat the valves. That is why unleaded gas is bad for
older cars; the
> valves do not last without that residue. Modern valves
are different, in
> ways I don't know, but there are still additives in
gasoline that leave
> behind a residue.

It takes a really old car for that to be an issue -- like 40-50 years old. Most cars had hardened
valve seats by the
1960s.

Matt O.

> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Actually, yes. Lead compounds used to be added to
> gasoline, specifically
> > to coat the valves. That is why unleaded gas is bad for
> older cars; the
> > valves do not last without that residue. Modern valves
> are different, in
> > ways I don't know, but there are still additives in
> gasoline that leave
> > behind a residue.

> It takes a really old car for that to be an issue -- like 40-50 years old. Most cars had hardened
> valve seats by the
> 1960s.

Right you are. Most but not all. My '65 air-cooled Corvair engines have suitably hardened valve
seats so leaded isn't necessary but my '65 283 V8 does require lead substitute.

David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 04:02:24 -0500, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>

> > You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner - just make sure
> > you do it outside and away from sources of ignition.
>
> Still a bad idea, as others have pointed out. "Sources of ignition" could be as simple as a spark
> generated by dropping a tool onto a concrete floor or patio. The floor is where the gasoline fumes
> accumulate, anyway.

"You'd have to be pretty stupid...."

Speaks for itself.

> > Any residues left will be totally harmless to your bearings/other metal parts - you think they'd
> > put anything in petrol that would damage contacting and moving metal parts?
>
> Actually, yes.

Actually 'no'.

> Lead compounds used to be added to gasoline, specifically to coat the valves.

And to alter the octane rating to suit engines/levels of tune that require different flame front
expansion rates. These does no harm to metal parts, and will not have a negative impact on any metal
bicycle parts.

> That is why unleaded gas is bad for older cars; the valves do not last without that residue.
> Modern valves are different, in ways I don't know, but there are still additives in gasoline that
> leave behind a residue.

Yes, these are generally there again to give the desired octane rating/ease wear, that do no harm to
the moving metal parts!

Shaun aRe - HTH!

Morgan Fletcher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
> > > You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up using petrol as a cleaner - just make sure
> > > you do it outside and away from sources of ignition.
> >
> > Still a bad idea, as others have pointed out. "Sources of ignition" could be as simple as a
> > spark generated by dropping a tool onto a concrete floor or patio. The floor is where the
> > gasoline fumes accumulate, anyway.
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/nccfire/news02/news11.html
>
> The fire started as resident Clark Staves was restoring a 1976 Toyota Landcruiser. He was
> draining gas from the tank, which he had planned to repair, when a heater ignited the gas fumes,
> Kopp said.

> I know that guy. He lost his house because he had gasoline and gasoline fumes near a space heater
> in his garage.

And gained a valuable lesson? Good deal IMNSHO......

> It is just not worth messing with gasoline when there are safer alternatives for cleaning.
>
> Morgan

"You'd have to be pretty stupid to blow yourself up...."

Nothing personal against the guy you know, but I consider it to be _seriously stupid_ to have
uncontained petrol near sources of ignition like that.

Shaun aRe