is peaking and periodization relevant for beginners & intermediates?

Fat Hack

Nov 18, 2003
I can imagine why a pro would wanna have a month off at the end of a season, and stagger their training at times, but if a beginner or intermediate club rider has average fitness, wouldn't taking a month off just set them back?

It won't really set them back, but isn't really necessary either. Riders typically try to peak *for something.* If a club rider is only concerned with their weekly club rides, then there is really nothing to try to peak for. Also, peaking is really related to the highest intensity and greatest volume stress that puts a razor's edge on a racer's ability in the weeks before a big race. That stress is also the most taxing (physically and mentally), which necessitates the let down after the big event is over.

Club riders typically achieve a general level of fitness that remains fairly constant over the course of the season, and which can easily be maintained year round. A club rider won't lose as much by taking a couple weeks off, since his conditioning isn't as finely honed as the racer.

periodization never hurts. it gives a rider an excuse to go hard or go easy at different times of the year. over an extended period of time however ie 3-5 years, a rider who periodized will see far greater results then one who does not. This is in light of the fact that at some times during the year a hard core periodized racer will ride easier then a club rider. Furthermore, it is important to remember that the periodized racer will also work far harder at other times then the club rider

my priority is to enjoy my cycling, and for me that means racing loads throughout the season, without worrying about goign easy in places and peaking in others. i guess i'm probably typical of most amateur riders in that respect, so strict "peaking" may not be relevant.

periodization could be as simple as not going flat out in winter time and thats not bad advice i think - after all the high end fitness doesnt last as long as the base, and with no races to worry about, is it needed anyway.

as to the "month off" i guess it depends on your phsychy however i know one thing - last year i rode all year without a break and by the middle of jan this year i was having serious issues just getting out on the bike. it felt like such a chore. consequently i reckon i'm just not strong enough phsycologically to ride all winter and will this year be taking november off. rather a planned november of rest than an unplanned break at a moe critical time like jan or feb.

robkit said:
my priority is to enjoy my cycling, and for me that means racing loads throughout the season, without worrying about goign easy in places and peaking in others. i guess i'm probably typical of most amateur riders in that respect, so strict "peaking" may not be relevant.

periodization could be as simple as not going flat out in winter time and thats not bad advice i think - after all the high end fitness doesnt last as long as the base, and with no races to worry about, is it needed anyway.

as to the "month off" i guess it depends on your phsychy however i know one thing - last year i rode all year without a break and by the middle of jan this year i was having serious issues just getting out on the bike. it felt like such a chore. consequently i reckon i'm just not strong enough phsycologically to ride all winter and will this year be taking november off. rather a planned november of rest than an unplanned break at a moe critical time like jan or feb.
Good comments. Agree if we just try to ride the same weekly schedule year round, burnout is likely. From what I've read and heard of the pro training routines, fall and early winter is the time to take a couple of weeks off, then start back with cross training and base miles.

On the TdF show, Paul/Phil talk about the pro's having plenty of training miles in their legs before the start of the spring classics....like 1000's of KM. They mentioned today that Lance puts in about 30,000 KM a year training for the TdF. So, he's not just retiring from the "fun" of the 3 week TdF racing, but from having to do the 1000 hours of training every year to get ready.

I see

thanks for the suggestions

I can see why periodization would be applicable to just about everybody, but I'm just not sure that peaking is relevant for fat hacks like me :)

Fat Hack said:
I can see why periodization would be applicable to just about everybody, but I'm just not sure that peaking is relevant for fat hacks like me :)
Unless you're building up for the Tour de Hack, it's not. :)