Is Peter Sagan the second coming of Eddy Merckx?

doctorSpoc

Nov 18, 2005
he's winning mountain stages in the tour de suisse, going life and death with the likes of Thor Hushovd in a two up drag race sprint on the very next day.. WTF?? and he's all of 21 years old.. just mental!! looks to be well on his way to becoming a phenom..

Originally Posted by doctorSpoc .

he's winning mountain stages in the tour de suisse, going life and death with the likes of Thor Hushovd in a two up drag race sprint on the very next day.. WTF?? and he's all of 21 years old.. just mental!! looks to be well on his way to being a phenom..
He's riding really well in the Tour de Suisse, he seems to struggle on the harder climbs, maybe that'll change with age?

Stage 4 1 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Team Garmin-Cervelo 4:46:05 2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Liquigas-Cannondale Stage 3 1 Peter Sagan (Svk) Liquigas-Cannondale 3:09:47 2 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 3 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Leopard Trek 0:00:21 Stage 1 1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Leopard Trek 0:09:41 2 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) HTC-Highroad 0:00:09 3 Peter Sagan (Svk) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:17

i think the reincarnation of Merckx is Marianne Vos, in the cycling pro ladies,

Originally Posted by classic1 .

He's more like Saronni or Jalabert I reckon.
Ah Jaja...

It always struck me as odd how riders who went to ONCE mystically got "better" and how riders who were once really only sprinters could become riders who would win Grand Tours and King of the Mountains jerseys.... Nothing to do at all with Manolo Saiz ordering his EPO for all his teams Festina/ONCE/Liberty Seguros not by the vial but by one of these:

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Ah Jaja...

It always struck me as odd how riders who went to ONCE mystically got "better" and how riders who were once really only sprinters could become riders who would win Grand Tours and King of the Mountains jerseys.... Nothing to do at all with Manolo Saiz ordering his EPO for all his teams Festina/ONCE/Liberty Seguros not by the vial but by one of these:

Eh?

Jalabert was winning plenty of stages and getting placed in major races when he was with Toshiba in 1990/1991.
(18th in Paris Roubaix, 9th at Flanders, 11th at LBL, 7th at Amstel, 8th at Lombardy, 2nd Tour of Zurich all in 1991).

Granted he won the TDF points jersey in 1992 in his first season at ONCE and went on to have a great career but the form was there at Toshiba.

When Sagan first burst on to the scene last year I thought he looked a massive talent. He's already going from strength to strength in such a short time and could be one of the worlds best riders in no time. At the moment he looks like a rider in the Phillipe Gilbert mould with a fast sprint and good on the smaller climbs.
He's already shown he can get over the bigger climbs though so as he matures I think there's a chance he could develop into a GC contender. It should be exciting to watch and find out!