Is Pevenage's heritage East German?

Carl Sundquist

Guest
Given Ullrich's attachment to Herr P., how far back does it go? Was he nurturing the lad back in the
days of grey jerseys and skinsuits?

i found also that in 1980 he won a stage of the tour, the green jersey, and spent ten days in
yellow... he became the big DS of telekom in 2001 replacing Walter Godefroot who then moved up to
teh front office... pevenage he had been an assistant sportif with them before that... he was with
the team at least as far back as 1996, but my head started to hurt too much to keep digging for
earlier references...

i know that it doesnt answer the question... buts its some info nonetheless...

1980....

He was in a break with 2 French lesser gods that took +20 minutes. The French cracked soon
thereafter. Rudy defended his huge lead in the bonus sprints (12,8,4 back then ), surpassed his
abilities in the TT.... By the time the GC men caught up, Pevenage led the green thanks to all those
sprints points. All nice for an 'accidental' Tour hero. There isn't much more to say about his
palmares, but he was an excellent and smart team element.

The bond is simply there from JU's early Telekom days, with RP nurturing the young JU while Riis was
more Godefroot's man.

"Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> 1980....
>
> He was in a break with 2 French lesser gods that took +20 minutes. The
French
> cracked soon thereafter. Rudy defended his huge lead in the bonus sprints
(12,8,4
> back then ), surpassed his abilities in the TT.... By the time the GC men caught up, Pevenage led
> the green thanks to all
those
> sprints points. All nice for an 'accidental' Tour hero. There isn't much more to say about
his
> palmares, but he was an excellent and smart team element.

In 1982 Pevenage was the tragic hero of Paris-Brussels. Fifteen kilometers before the finish he was
in the lead together with Dutchman Jacques Hanegraaf. Pevenage was setting the pace and Hanegraaf
seemed to be in difficulty. Pevenage asked him to relay, but Hanegraaf's face was contorted in pain
and he said he was having cramp. Pevenage tried to shake him loose, but in vain. because the peloton
was coming dangerously close, Pevenage had no choice but leading the race with Hanegraaf sitting on
his wheel. One kilometer from the finish the two leaders came within reach of the peloton and
Pevenage asked Hanegraaf once more to take the lead, but again Hanegraaf shook his head, grimacing
with pain. The peloton came so close that Pevenage couldn't afford to look behind anymore and was
completely sursprised that Hanegraaf, suddenly cured, overtook him with less than hundred meters to
go. Pevenage literally cried of rage, didn't sprint anymore, was overtaken by the peloton and
finished fourth. I've never seen a rider so angry as Pevenage. He tried to hit Hanegraaf, screamed
that he would kill him, and so on. Last year Hanegraaf and Pevenage were working closely together,
setting up the new Bianchi-team. I saw them on TV, obviuously the best of friends and having a
wonderful time. Great sport, cycling.

Benjo Maso

Van Hoorebeeck Bart <[email protected]>:

>1980....
>
>He was in a break with 2 French lesser gods that took +20 minutes.

One of them was Pierre Bazzo. I don't remember the other.

> The French cracked soon thereafter. Rudy defended his huge lead in the bonus sprints (12,8,4 back
> then ), surpassed his abilities in the TT.... By the time the GC men caught up, Pevenage led the
> green thanks to all those sprints points. All nice for an 'accidental' Tour hero. There isn't much
> more to say about his palmares, but he was an excellent and smart team element.

For many years in the mid '80s, he was a teammate and a favourite wheel to stay on the tail of the
supreme wheelsucker, beppe saronni.

All's fair in winning a race for your sponsor. What else could Rudy do? I'm sure that Hanegraaf
admitted that it was Pevenage's race.

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote
in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > 1980....
> >
> > He was in a break with 2 French lesser gods that took +20 minutes.
The
> French
> > cracked soon thereafter. Rudy defended his huge lead in the bonus
sprints
> (12,8,4
> > back then ), surpassed his abilities in the TT.... By the time the GC men caught up, Pevenage
> > led the green thanks to
all