Is Raleigh a good bike company?

WARrider

Jun 4, 2004
What are your opinions on Raleigh? Are they a cheap company with cheap quality? Or do they make quality bikes? I'm looking at a getting a Road Bike and was wondering if they made good bikes or not. I don't wan't to buy something that will breakdown on me.

Originally posted by WARrider
What are your opinions on Raleigh? Are they a cheap company with cheap quality? Or do they make quality bikes? I'm looking at a getting a Road Bike and was wondering if they made good bikes or not. I don't wan't to buy something that will breakdown on me.
Raleigh makes some bikes that are considered a good "bang for the buck". I own a Raleigh M60 MTB and it is nicely equipped with a Deore drivetrain. It's an OK bike for what I paid ($325 shipped on ebay). They tend to be a little on the heavy side though.

Originally posted by Doctor Morbius
Raleigh makes some bikes that are considered a good "bang for the buck". I own a Raleigh M60 MTB and it is nicely equipped with a Deore drivetrain. It's an OK bike for what I paid ($325 shipped on ebay). They tend to be a little on the heavy side though.

Ok so they acualy make decent bikes then. Unlike Schwinn which is just a beefed up Huffy.

Ah, most of the middle and high-end Schwinns are built by Pacific... a huge bike maker that builds bikes for a bunch of different companies. The're pretty good bikes-- in fact the Schwinn Fastback is maybe the best road for money you can buy (read a few reviews if you don't believe me).

Most of buying a bike depends on the local bike store, not the brand name on it. Buy a bike a Wally World and it breaks-- you're on your own. A bike shop will, more often than not, stand behind their bikes when things go south.

Well they've only been around for the past 100 years or so - does that tell you anything ?
Of course they're a good company - otherwise they'd be out of business.

As regards bikes, they make good dependable road bikes (i've one an R200).
They're equipment is dependable, solid and durable.

Originally posted by limerickman
Well they've only been around for the past 100 years or so - does that tell you anything ?
Of course they're a good company - otherwise they'd be out of business
How little you know.The name has been around, not the original company. Raleigh name is now owned by Derby, I believe.

Originally posted by boudreaux
How little you know.The name has been around, not the original company. Raleigh name is now owned by Derby, I beleive.

Raleigh was founded in Nottinham, England in 1896 - Einstein.
Raleigh - or TI Raleigh was the new company formed in 1970's
and went on to win the 1980 TDF,

Derby Cycle Corporation acquired Raleigh in 2002 - as I recall.
What the acquisition of Raleigh by Derby has got to do with anything is irrelevant, pal.

Raleigh is a brand - a brand created over 100 years ago.
Raleigh have proven their loyalty to Nottingham by opening a new
facility at Eastwood, Nottongham, England.

It's like saying that because Rover (cars) were acquired by BMW
that this somehow impacts on the Rover brand !

It helps to be informed before you start having a go at people.

Raleigh was founded in Nottinham, England in 1896 - Einstein.
Raleigh - or TI Raleigh was the new company formed in 1970's
and went on to win the 1980 TDF,

Derby Cycle Corporation acquired Raleigh in 2002 - as I recall.
What the acquisition of Raleigh by Derby has got to do with anything is irrelevant, pal.

Raleigh is a brand - a brand created over 100 years ago.
Raleigh have proven their loyalty to Nottingham by opening a new
facility at Eastwood, Nottongham, England.

It's like saying that because Rover (cars) were acquired by BMW
that this somehow impacts on the Rover brand !

It helps to be informed before you start having a go at people.
And there is alot of junk with the Raleigh name on it that was not and is not made in Jolly old Nottingham. Derby has owned the Raleigh name since before 2000.The 2001 US market catalogue I have doesn't have a thing in it made in Nottingham. ...and Pacific's aquisition of Schwinn did not impact that name?? There are plenty of 'brands' that are no longer what they once were.The rights to the name get bought,and what gets peddled bears no esemblance to the original.

I always tell folks that buying a bike is much like buying a PC. There are lots of manufactures, but only a few dozen companies that make the basic parts, so most computers, (and bikes) end up looking pretty much the same.

The reasons that a person would buy a Raleigh bike, or a Trek or a Fuji bike or a Dell or a Sony computer are 1) Lots of R&D money goes into brand name products and 2) Major brands have a good network of support.

Raleigh/Derby Cycle have plenty of R&D cash and thousands of LBS for support. Although the're maybe *better* deals around, strolling into your local bike shop and plunking down $400- $1500 for a Raleigh is a pretty safe bet. It's a way better bet then buying some super cheap ebay racer, that's for sure.

Originally posted by tacomee
.........strolling into your local bike shop and plunking down $400- $1500 for a Raleigh is a pretty safe bet. It's a way better bet then buying some super cheap ebay racer, that's for sure.
Hooey. Not if you know what you are doing.

I know there are several old time Schwinn dealers around that are very upset with Pacific's policies. Pacific has pretty much done their best to dump on them by moving much of their product line over to the big box stores. It pretty much sounds like Pacific is a large faceless corporation run by suits and lawyers. Strangely enough, I think Pacific was bought up by a children's furniture company.

That being said, I do think the Schwinn Fastback Comp looks like a decent amount of bike for the money ($1000 MSRP). And the deal that Supergo.com had a few months back of $700 for an '03 model made it even more so. If I hadn't recently purchased a 105 equipped bike I would have jumped on that deal.

Tomorrow I'll be going to a Schwinn dealer to pick up my 2004 Grey Ghost. I seriously doubt the quality will be as good as on my 1999 reproduction Orange and Apple Krates but you never know.

I heard that Diamondback and Raleigh where owned by the same company? Is that true? How is the frame on a Raleigh, the frame is my #1 thing I'm looking for in my bike.

I heard that Diamondback and Raleigh where owned by the same company? Is that true? How is the frame on a Raleigh, the frame is my #1 thing I'm looking for in my bike.
Yes, Raleigh and Diamondback are owned by the same company. If you compare the bikes closely you'll see that they are nearly identical for each price point. At least this was true in 2003 when I was shopping for a new MTB.

I'm happy with the frame on my M60. Don't get me wrong. It's not a tricked out frame/bike by any stretch of the imagination. It's a commodity grade AL frame made on an automated assembly line in mainland China. Keeping that in mind the welds look decent and uniform.

The bike is a little on the heavy side, but the geometry feels good to me. It's not a racer's geometry so I have no problem riding it for 2 and sometimes 3 hours a day.

My personal favorite Raleigh is the 2003 M80 non-disc version. It was equipped with nearly full Deore LX for an MSRP of $550. That's a lot of MTB for not much money! Unfortunately everywhere I called was sold out of my frame size when I was ready to buy. :(

And there is alot of junk with the Raleigh name on it that was not and is not made in Jolly old Nottingham. Derby has owned the Raleigh name since before 2000.The 2001 US market catalogue I have doesn't have a thing in it made in Nottingham. ...and Pacific's aquisition of Schwinn did not impact that name?? There are plenty of 'brands' that are no longer what they once were.The rights to the name get bought,and what gets peddled bears no esemblance to the original.

Your initial reply called in to question, my knowledge of Raleigh.
I explained to you that Raleigh have been in business since the late 1800’s and that this fact alone would indicate that the Raleigh product is successful.

A lot of companies in the manufacturing sector subcontract the supply of product parts to third parties (it’s called supply chain management).
However, before a product is issued by a WCM (world class manufacturer. ie Raleigh) with a worldwide brand name such as Raleigh, the product has to meet the quality
standards of that products reputation.

I have cycled Raleigh bikes for over 25 years and I have never noticed any drop
in the standard of the product or it’s reliability.
I replace my training bike every 2-3 years.
I have always used Raleigh bikes for training purposes and they’re a good machine.
For racing purposes, I use a Pinarello simply because I find a Pinarello to be more suited to racing.
Otherwise, I would have no hesitation recommending Raleigh.

The point which Morbius makes is also crucial – Raleigh are probably the most widely supported bike through the retail distribution network.
If the Raleigh product was junk, as you contend – how come they have such a wide LBS network ?
If the Raleigh product contains junk – as you contend – how come I have never had a problem with their bikes ?
I am all for cyclists being critical when a bike or it’s equipment is faulty – but hand on heart, I have never experienced any problems with a Raleigh.
If I had experienced a problem with the Raleigh product – I would be the first to say so.

Your initial reply called in to question, my knowledge of Raleigh.
I explained to you that Raleigh have been in business since the late 1800’s and that this fact alone would indicate that the Raleigh product is successful.

A lot of companies in the manufacturing sector subcontract the supply of product parts to third parties (it’s called supply chain management).
However, before a product is issued by a WCM (world class manufacturer. ie Raleigh) with a worldwide brand name such as Raleigh, the product has to meet the quality
standards of that products reputation.

I have cycled Raleigh bikes for over 25 years and I have never noticed any drop
in the standard of the product or it’s reliability.
I replace my training bike every 2-3 years.
I have always used Raleigh bikes for training purposes and they’re a good machine.
For racing purposes, I use a Pinarello simply because I find a Pinarello to be more suited to racing.
Otherwise, I would have no hesitation recommending Raleigh.

The point which Morbius makes is also crucial – Raleigh are probably the most widely supported bike through the retail distribution network.
If the Raleigh product was junk, as you contend – how come they have such a wide LBS network ?
If the Raleigh product contains junk – as you contend – how come I have never had a problem with their bikes ?
I am all for cyclists being critical when a bike or it’s equipment is faulty – but hand on heart, I have never experienced any problems with a Raleigh.
If I had experienced a problem with the Raleigh product – I would be the first to say so.
Replace junk with 'bottom of the barrel, which is also pedaled by alot of others. WCM is meaningless.

Boudreaux, you hastily accused limerickman of not knowing squat about Raleigh's history, which he does; arguably, in fact, what he's got to say is more valuable than anything else offered in this thread -- it's based on lots of first hand miles on Raleigh bikes, over years and years. You don't have any reason to assume his positive take on those miles is uninformed.

Essentially, boudreaux, you're not claiming anything other than the general observation that good ole' bike companies, once acquired by bigger, stinkier companies after the label, often lose their claim to quality. That's true as a generalization, but you've slammed many a poster for being so dogmatic. Limerickman's experience on Raleighs is plenty valid, so stop hootin'.

Originally posted by lokstah
Boudreaux, you hastily accused limerickman of not knowing squat about Raleigh's history, which he does; arguably, in fact, what he's got to say is more valuable than anything else offered in this thread -- it's based on lots of first hand miles on Raleigh bikes, over years and years. You don't have any reason to assume his positive take on those miles is uninformed.

Essentially, boudreaux, you're not claiming anything other than the general observation that good ole' bike companies, once acquired by bigger, stinkier companies after the label, often lose their claim to quality. That's true as a generalization, but you've slammed many a poster for being so dogmatic. Limerickman's experience on Raleighs is plenty valid, so stop hootin'.

Thanks Lokstah : I can only offer my experience.

I agree that Boudreaux seems not to be impressed with Raleigh
for whatever reason.
I've never had a problem with Raleigh and I think the fact that the
LBS retail chain for Raleigh is so widespread, blows Boudreaux's
generalisations out of the window.

Originally posted by lokstah

Not that I'm exactly inexperienced. I've owned a few myself.If they did not exist It would not bother me. There is plenty of as good or better stuff for the same money.

Not that I'm exactly inexperienced. I've owned a few myself.If they did not exist It would not bother me. There is plenty of as good or better stuff for the same money.
Name some. I'd like to know what they are.

......and I think the fact that the
LBS retail chain for Raleigh is so widespread, blows Boudreaux's
generalisations out of the window.
Huffy is broad based too.