Is Raleigh a good bike company?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by WARrider, Jun 6, 2004.

1. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Why continue the pizzing match.You would not agree anyway.Suffice to say Raleigh never comes to mind when recommending.

2. Jim's ride

Jim's ride New Member

Hi Limmerick man.
    Do you work for raleigh at all?

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Jim,
    No I don't work for Raleigh - nor do I know anyone who does
    work for Raleigh.

I can only relate my experience of Raleigh bikes and I have never had a problem with cycling a Raleigh bike.
    Boudreaux disagreed with me a couple of days ago.

My impression of Raleigh differs to Boudreaux and that is fair enough.

Boudreaux falsely accused me of not knowing what I was talking about - I merely posted my reply to re-iterate to Boudreaux that
    my opinion of Raleigh is based upon my direct experience.
    If Boudreaux's experience has been different - so be it : but to start accusing people of not knowing what they're talking about
    is not going to be tolerated by me.

4. hemplands

hemplands New Member

Just an oddball comment re your posting of the BMW and Rover cars.

BMW bought Rover Cars from British Aerospace who had bought Rovers share from British Government.

BAe systematically sold off most of Rovers holdings in property etc, asset stripping and then dumped Rover to BMW in a very shady deal. One week they were going to be in Partnership with Honda and the following Monday signed a deal with the Germans

BMW then pulled Rover up by the bootstraps, kept the Marques Mini, Rolls Royce etc, and sold the rest for £10.00 getting the only things they wanted it for.

5. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Limerickman, It seems Boudreaux has a very corrosive personality. I've noticed that he's quick to tell people that they don't know beans from apple butter but he doesn't back up his argument with constructive facts.

Example 1: I asked him in this thread to name the bike companies that he considers to be as good or better value than Raleigh. He didn't do it. He won't do it. He considers his job done when he's done putting other people down.

Example 2: There was a thread last week about some guy that wanted to upgrade a 20 year old bike vs. buying a new one. He stated that all of the 20 year old parts were all over the place but he never did mention where or how to obtain them. I suppose all of these mythical parts are kept up at the North Pole near Santa's Workshop.

Here's another one. No constructive advice at all...
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t129593.html

And yet another ...
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t129649.html
    The guy that was asking the question even stated the following, "Now how about a constructive reply and an answer to my question? The hub dropped right in by the way 4mm is no sweat."

Basically, he's an embittered asshole and even if he does know his shit about some things I would never do business with someone like him. Life is way to short to put up with people like that ... for any reason!!

6. rmartin

rmartin New Member

Raleigh no longer make (or even assemble) bikes in the UK, the new facility at Eastwood is just a warehouse for distribution of bikes made in the far east.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2519053.stm

7. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Good plan! I need neither the money nor the hassle.

8. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

LOL ...Oh my. Can this really be true?

9. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Just my observations - my first road bike was a Raleigh Grand Prix. Rode that bike over most of S. Florida. Next was a cherry red Competition, and I would have bought a Professional if I hadn't lucked into a deal on a Falcon San Remo (this was 25 years ago). So I have a long and fond memory of Raleigh bikes.

The latest Raleigh bikes I've seen appear to be Asian produced, no better or worse than the rest of the midrange Asian produced bikes. Two other notable 70's cycle makers - Motobecane and Schwinn - have gone the same route, essentially famous name badges (and they don't even use proper head tube badges anymore) put on the the same bikes. I bought my wife a Schwinn Mesa MTB. Nice bike, good value for money, but nothing outstanding.

So to address the original question - the current Raleigh bikes apper (to me, anyway) to be of reasonable quality, but no better or worse than any other bike in the same price range.

It's a shame to see the passing of the British cycle manufacturer. I confess - I'm still a big fan of the legendary British frame makers of the 1970's. A modern steel frame like a Lemond BA might match my old San Remo's smooth ride, but it's BB is a lot more flexy.

10. jhas

jhas New Member

Why does even an innocuous request like advice about a brand have to degenerate into a pissing contest about who knows more? C'mon, people: ease up!

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Doc,
    Yes I agree with you - I think that he/she/it has a very antagonistic attitude and to be honest it is a pity that this is the case because it's easier for people to be destructive rather than
    constructive.

Thanks for the advice - I duly note the user name

12. capwater

capwater New Member

Define good bike? Is my old Raleigh R500 (Tiagra/105 mix) as good as my Klein Q Pro Carbon(full DA)? Heck no, but I put on a ton of miles while a fledgling roadie and ya can't beat the entry level price of $600. So in my opinon it is "good" in that it served my purpose at the time. Too many people toss out vague open ended questions like "what is the best bike, seat, wheel, etc?" It all depends on budget, rider skill level and intended use. I've seen plenty of "yummy mummies" come out a bike shop with a $2000 Trek just to ride around the suburban neighborhood with their kids. Is that a good bike, heck no (based on their needs). Anything else is just "hooey".

13. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

HEY HEY HEY!!!

And don't forget TI Raleigh Dutch cycling team were TOUR DE FRANCE WINNERS. ZOETEMELK 1980!! Zoetemelk, Kuiper, van der Velden, Lubberding, Raas, Kneteman and so on, all these super pro's have been riding Raleigh frames!

By the way Raleigh just released a memorial retro frame. Equivalent for the Hennie Kuiper bike.

Ok Raleigh can't match Bianchi and when I talk about that, I get tears in my eyes. So it's time to stop now.

Ciao, Frank.:p

14. tacomee

tacomee New Member

Yeah! Most of us are riding the same quality bikes made on good old Bike Island-- no matter what the brand name stickers happened to be slathered all over the frames say.

The bottom line is that Raleigh isn't really a bike manufacturing company, it's an advertising plan hooked to a great R&D department backed up by huge dealer network. Same with Fuji, or Trek-Lemond, or any of the other heavyweight bike companies. What does this all mean to the orginal poster?

That buying a Raleigh form a good LBS is about the safest bet you can make.

15. katrn

katrn New Member

I wonder why people think of Huffy and Marray when they hear Schwinn bikes? They are a huge company and they own Cannondale and several other brands. You can get a cheap or OK bike anywhere but to say that a Schwinn is a "beefed up huffy" I wonder, what is THAT person riding. the fact is...If you aren't trying for any decathalon, get the bike you can afford. You can ge a Trek for %69.00 or a Schwinn for $29...same bike excet the Schwinn is lighter, and I find easier to ride. I never heard anyone call a cannondale a piece of junk, but, you are probably insulting your own bike's maker.

16. katrn

katrn New Member

I wonder why people think of Huffy and Marray when they hear Schwinn bikes? They are a huge company and they own Cannondale and several other brands. You can get a cheap or OK bike anywhere but to say that a Schwinn is a "beefed up huffy" I wonder, what is THAT person riding? The fact is...If you aren't trying for any decathalon, get the bike you can afford. You can get a Trek for $369.00 or a Schwinn for $329...same bike excet the Schwinn is lighter, and I find easier to ride. I never heard anyone call a cannondale a piece of junk, but, you are probably insulting your own bike's maker, since only about three companies own all bikes bought in shops today.

17. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Nope on a couple of counts: three companies do not own all bike bought in shops today. A Schwinn is not necessarily lighter than a Trek. The fact is that Schwinn builds more bikes to a lower price point than Trek. While the same group, Dorel Industries, owns Schwinn and Canondale (as well as others), that does not mean that the bikes are made the same or in the same place. A Cannondale is certainly not a Schwinn. Likewise, there are no "same bikes" between Trek and Schwinn. The companies are not related. Dorel Industries also has a number of brands that absolutely suck or have been reduced to suckiness. RoadMaster (suck) and Iron Horse (reduced to suckiness) are two examples. A big worry of Cannondale aficionados is that Dorel will trash Cannondale and sink it in suckiness.

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Have Dorel done that to other brands, Alienator?

19. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

It's not clear. They purchased Pacific who owned, among others, Schwinn and Mongoose. Those brands did not fare well under Pacific. Dorel has made some interesting purchases like Cannondale and Sugoi. They've got a range of bikes, from Walmart crap like RoadMaster to the two recent purchases mentioned. We'll have to see what happens.

20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Thanks.

This is another thing I wasn't aware of!