Is Raleigh a good bike company?

Raleigh road bikes aren't common hereabouts, compared to Seven (let alone Cannondale). However I rode one on a bicycle trip. It had 105 components (so not the cheapest model) and had nice green accents which matched the stripes on the tires (Vittoria).

The ride was harsh (well I'm spoiled by my Spesh Roubaix) nor did I feel any liveliness or skittishness. The saddle was awful - subjective of course but that was the general feeling among the subjects. Based on the fact that the tour company (a pretty big one) chose it as their bike implies it won't fall apart - and indeed I didn't see any do that.

The Raleigh brand's long history is neither here nor there, let's be honest. Just as the Veyron has nothing to do with Ettore Bugatti and everything to do with Volkswagen AG (not a bad thing).

There's a fellow from a neighboring club that rides a mid-line carbon Raleigh. He's a strong rider with years and years of miles under his belt. and every time we've discussed his frame he has nothing but good things to say about it. I hope the brand/decal survives.

I recently decided to purchase a good bike for getting back into shape. I did lots of research over the internet and read as much as I could. I decided on a bike that most everyone agreed was a comfortable bike for older folks who aren't in the best of condition. I wanted a good quality bike. I ended up with a Raleigh "Alley Way" Belt Drive Bike. It was a new bike , but a 2010 model. It was $ 1425.00 new retail and I gave $900 and change. It is a bike of incredible quality, I'm not a seasoned professional but I know quality when I see it. However , I noticed on the vertical bar above the crankset, a sticker that read " Made in China". I felt like I had been taken at first, then I read some more and rode it a lot. It is a high quality Bike. It uses Shimano Alfine 8 speed Hub and a Shimano front hub thats a dynamo(Generator). It uses a Gates Belt drive. . Everything about it says "Quality" Do I wish it was made in England ? I guess I do. Do I think I got my moneys worth ? Most certainly !
It seems like it will last a good long time. I know I will continue to ride this bike with pride, but I will probably peel that China sticker off just to suit my own vanity. This was my first post here and I hope to be able to add something to your forum . Seems like there are some good folks here.
jwill58

jwill58 said:
                 I recently decided to purchase a good bike for getting back into shape. I did lots of research over the internet and read as much as I could. I decided on a bike that most everyone agreed was a comfortable bike for older folks who aren't in the best of condition. I wanted a good quality bike. I ended up with a Raleigh "Alley Way"  Belt Drive Bike. It was a new bike , but a 2010 model. It was $ 1425.00 new retail and I gave $900 and change. It is a bike of incredible quality, I'm not a seasoned professional but I know quality when I see it. However , I noticed on the vertical bar above the crankset, a sticker that read " Made in China". I felt like I had been taken at first, then I read some more and rode it a lot. It is a high quality Bike. It uses Shimano Alfine 8 speed Hub and a Shimano front hub thats a dynamo(Generator). It uses a Gates Belt drive. . Everything about it says "Quality"  Do I wish it was made in England ? I guess I do. Do I think I got my moneys worth ? Most certainly !               It seems like it will last a good long time. I know I will continue to ride this bike with pride, but I will probably peel that China sticker off just to suit my own vanity. This was my first post here and I hope to be able to add something to your forum . Seems like there are some good folks here.                                                    jwill58
so you just woke up from crio-sleep from the Star Trek spaceship into the 21st. Century on Earth... everything is made in China of course,

The problem with on that's made in the UK, is it would likely cost you twice as much to buy.

Quote: Originally Posted by jwill58 .
I recently decided to purchase a good bike for getting back into shape. I did lots of research over the internet and read as much as I could. I decided on a bike that most everyone agreed was a comfortable bike for older folks who aren't in the best of condition. I wanted a good quality bike. I ended up with a Raleigh "Alley Way" Belt Drive Bike. It was a new bike , but a 2010 model. It was $ 1425.00 new retail and I gave $900 and change. It is a bike of incredible quality, I'm not a seasoned professional but I know quality when I see it. However , I noticed on the vertical bar above the crankset, a sticker that read " Made in China". I felt like I had been taken at first, then I read some more and rode it a lot. It is a high quality Bike. It uses Shimano Alfine 8 speed Hub and a Shimano front hub thats a dynamo(Generator). It uses a Gates Belt drive. . Everything about it says "Quality" Do I wish it was made in England ? I guess I do. Do I think I got my moneys worth ? Most certainly !
It seems like it will last a good long time. I know I will continue to ride this bike with pride, but I will probably peel that China sticker off just to suit my own vanity. This was my first post here and I hope to be able to add something to your forum . Seems like there are some good folks here.
jwill58

I have a true "Made in England" Raleigh, a Gran Sport from 1974. It's built of thick-walled Reynolds 531 butted tubing (also a british invention). It's got a nice looking paint job, turquoise with white bands on the seat tube, and handpinstriping in gold, if you don't look too closely. However, the quality of the framebuilding is pretty pathetic, with misaligned seat stays, brazing defects, and crude file marks. If this is the best the Carlton Frameworks could do, you can see how the demise of the british cycling industry came so quickly.

Note, I still have the bike, and do like the vintage british bikes, motorbikes and cars, having owned a mid-50's BSA and MGA, as well as a '67 XKE. (No, sadly I didn't keep the cars).

I have a lot to learn about this . I'm a DAV and at 55 years old and bad circulation in my rt leg, cycling seemed like a good idea. When I was about 19 , I had an accident and broke both knees and a compound fracture of my rt femur. Next to swimming , this is about as good as it gets for low impact exercise. I like the bike I have now. I wanted another Raleigh , a Misceo Trail i11. It's retails at about $1500.00 and I couldn't find any used versions. I like the belt drive and the IGH 11 speed and the disc brakes. I will ride my Alley Way for a year and then get the Misceo Trail i11 if I still feel the same way. Thanks for the kind replies.
jwill58

another British brand, not sure where are these ones manufactured, http://www.dawescycles.com/t-about-us.aspx the french Super - U team was endorsed by Raleigh in the late 80's but i understand that their bikes were manufactured by another brand and used only the Raleigh decals, a common practice of that time,

The Dawes 2012 models looked better to me than the 2013 models. I'm a sucker for the IGH gearing. I could only find one in the 2013 line up but there were several in the 2012 line up. I'm sure my tastes don't mean anything- I just happen to like certain aspects of the new technology. Disc brakes , belt drive , and even the dynamo generator on the front axle/hub I think is handy. Thats me though. I'm not sure how the British Pounds work out in US dollars, but they seem to be priced like the Raleighs. I think my Alley Way frame is built using Reynolds 520. Not sure if that is good or bad but its advertised like its a good thing.
I appreciate all the feedback,
jwill58