Is road cycling dangerous?

Doesn't matter what you say or do, you are a statistic when you do anything.

And this guy below will still get hit by the statistical Drunk driver, or the statistical Distracted driver, or the statistical dog that is on a statistical list for not being on a leash.

"...or the statistical dog that is on a statistical list for not being on a leash."

That was 'my' statistic for 2012!

3 mutts in 40 years (and a sheepdog with one of my Harleys!). Hit the deck all three times.

Some danger exists, I try and minimize the risk by riding less traveled county roads and bike paths. I always were hi-visibility clothing and have lights for dusk/dawn/dark. I also try and be aware, looking over my shoulder periodically and slowing down at intersections. If you are constantly aware of your surroundings, that definitely helps.

Hi,

Im new here but thought I would provide my thoughts on this topic.

While out riding , I have two mottos I use when riding or commuting in heavy traffic...

1.) Be easily seen. Light yourself up like a christmas tree while riding in poor light, dusk or night. I use bright rear lights (red) on the rear of my helmet, jersey pocket, under the seat post and rear chainstay. I use bright lights on the front bar (Ay-Ups) , the be seen and to see aswell as white flashers on my helmet.

2.) Be predictable and obvious on the roads. By this I mean signal your intentions to other road users with hand signals and the like. Dont swerve in and out of lanes or traffic, dont squeeze beside cars at lights. Take lanes where permitted to do so as it forces motorists to change lanes to pass you instead of trying to inch past close to you.

And all this while obeying all traffic laws (including stopping at red lights - I have seen plenty of cyclist that seem to think that they dont have to, nothing pisses of motorists more)

"And all this while obeying all traffic laws (including stopping at red lights - I have seen plenty of cyclist that seem to think that they dont have to, nothing pisses of motorists more)"

...this is not 'Nam. There are rules.

I fly for a living. Have for over 35 years. I find cycling much more dangerous. I have to pay attention twice as hard cycling as flying. What I have found is cars try to run me off or move me over. I have had cars turn in front of me when I know they see me. I have had cars pull right turns in front of me and force me either off the road or slam on the brakes, when I know they have seen me. Cars hate cyclists. And because of that, cycling is the most dangerous activity I currently participate in. I really feel like it's not a matter of if, but when, I will be hurt on my bike. I try to ride in the county on lightly used roads. I find riding in groups is safer as cars give groups wider room. Also, having witnesses keeps cars from intentionally brushing cyclists over. I love cycling though. I guess the risk is worth the joy and physical feeling I get by riding.

as one can only control themselves and their actions and fate to a certain degree in anything we do, cycling is only as dangerous as it relates directly as to how good you are. not fast, but good.

"I really feel like it's not a matter of if, but when, I will be hurt on my bike."

There are only two types of cyclists.

Those that have crashed. And those that are going to crash again!

Reactions: Andy Jennings
Originally Posted by roadhouse .

as one can only control themselves and their actions and fate to a certain degree in anything we do, cycling is only as dangerous as it relates directly as to how good you are. not fast, but good.
Riding skill and good defensive strategies are important, but can only do so much when we're out playing in traffic. Around here, the risk of being hit from behind by a driver who "didn't see the cyclist" is very real, and seems to be the biggest cause of cyclist fatalities.

In this state and many others, there is no criminal penalty for failure to see a cyclist, and no law requiring due care when passing a cyclist or pedestrian. That probably sounds unbelievable to those outside the US, but it's true. Unless the driver is impaired (DUI), they can basically walk away without so much as a ticket for hitting and killing a cyclist who in theory has a legal "right to the road". The cyclist's family can file a civil suit of course, but in a state where 22% of drivers carry no liability insurance, there's a good chance the driver has nothing to get anyway.

To reduce the risk of this generally-fatal event, I use a helmet-mounted mirror as well as a bright flashing taillight visable from at least 100 m behind on a sunny day. The mirror makes it easy to see when the car back is moving over to pass safety, and may allow me time a vital second to get well over or off the road in event they aren't giving me room.

dhk2 said:
In this state and many others, there is no criminal penalty for failure to see a cyclist, and no law requiring due care when passing a cyclist or pedestrian.  That probably sounds unbelievable to those outside the US, but it's true.  
In some states where there are laws about passing cyclists, like leaving a mandatory 3ft or more clearance between car and rider, and the laws are quite often not enforced.

"...they can basically walk away without so much as a ticket for hitting and killing a cyclist who in theory has a legal "right to the road". The cyclist's family can file a civil suit of course, but in a state where 22% of drivers carry no liability insurance, there's a good chance the driver has nothing to get anyway."

Truth.

See this guy?

That was my friend, Robert Bachtel. Obit: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ohio/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=2200093#fbLoggedOut

He was killed when a speeding driver that was late for work ran his truck into Bob's bike from behind.

The driver walked.

Bob's aorta was torn from his heart by the force of the impact and he bled to death in seconds.

I have other stories of other friends killed or severely injured while cycling.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"...they can basically walk away without so much as a ticket for hitting and killing a cyclist who in theory has a legal "right to the road". The cyclist's family can file a civil suit of course, but in a state where 22% of drivers carry no liability insurance, there's a good chance the driver has nothing to get anyway."

Truth.

See this guy?

That was my friend, Robert Bachtel. Obit: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ohio/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=2200093#fbLoggedOut

He was killed when a speeding driver that was late for work ran his truck into Bob's bike from behind.

The driver walked.

Bob's aorta was torn from his heart by the force of the impact and he bled to death in seconds.

I have other stories of other friends killed or severely injured while cycling.

that's horrible, getting hit from behind is every cyclists worst nightmare. To many people play games with cyclists lives, total scum acts.

The sound a motor vehicle makes as it slams into a human body is something that can not be forgotten.

Another friend of mine was spending the winter training down in Florida.

A drunk driver came up from behind him and hit Chris so hard that rider and bike were stuck on the grill and bumper of the truck...which then went left of center and hit a minivan head-on. With Chris still on the grill...

Chris was killed, of course. The drunk was only slightly injured.

I've got my own tales, but I've still got plenty to tell from those that are no longer able to speak.

Cycling is dangerous.

I have friends who live in a tall building in lower Manhattan and were able to see the horror of 9/11 from their south-facing windows.

Recently, overseas friends were concerned about my daughter, a New England elementary-school student. I explain that our town is called Newton, without the second 'w'.

Life is dangerous.

On a lighter note, here's some French men in brown shorts demonstrating the advantages of group riding. IMHO, joining a group is possibly the greatest safety improvement one could make (and it has lots other benefits as well).

"Life is dangerous."

Indeed, it is. Especially when it's 'real life' and not a TV commercial.

I agree, bartsie. It is a big improvement in safety to ride with a group. Safety in numbers and all that. I'm a believer in riding with friends, a club or a team.

Bob Bachtel was killed while riding first wheel in five or six-man group and Chris was killed riding solo.

My own truth is that a life without any potentially dangerous activity wouldn't cut it. In order to squeeze the most out of it some risks need to be taken, both with body and soul. We use our best judgement when we can, educate ourselves on the risk, and accept the consequences. Ironically I've known some daredevils who coast through it all, and some very cautious folks who have not had very good luck.

+1 on riding with pals, it's no garantee of anything but it can help in a few scenarios.

danfoz said:
My own truth is that a life without any potentially dangerous activity wouldn't cut it. In order to squeeze the most out of it some risks need to be taken, both with body and soul.
IMHO it's not really living if there aren't risks being faced at least now and again.