Is road cycling dangerous?

Dayamn! Chinese got some fast legs, but yeah...there's nothing more dangerous than constantly riding on the wrong side of the road.

Even in the depths of a Minnesota winter with temperatures near 0°...death lurks.

Bicyclist fatally run over was new to Minneapolis, careful about bike safety
  • Article by: PAUL WALSH , Star Tribune
  • Updated: February 5, 2014 - 1:02 PM
Marcus Nalls came to Minnesota as an experienced bicyclist, commuting to and from work in bustling downtown Atlanta for the past few years without incident. So when his superiors at the Hyatt Regency said he was being promoted and transferred to their hotel in downtown Minneapolis, Nalls made sure he found just the right place to live for riding his bike to work.

But despite paying attention to that detail and using the proper safety equipment, the 26-year-old professionally trained sous chef was run over on his way home from work and killed Monday night on well-traveled W. Franklin Avenue in south Minneapolis by a van allegedly driven by a drunken driver.

Police spokesman John Elder said the bicyclist “was wearing a helmet. He had an illuminated front lamp and a rear lamp. This was a bicyclist who was doing what he was supposed to be doing.”

Nalls looked at three apartments in Minneapolis before moving on Jan. 4 with his fiancée to a place about 2 miles away, said his mother, Nicole Sweigart.

“He did the traffic homework,” Sweigart said, choking back tears at the prospect of burying one of her three grown children. “He researched all of that.”

The van’s 49-year-old driver, who lives four blocks east of the crash scene, was arrested and remains jailed without bail on suspicion of criminal vehicular homicide. Charges could come Wednesday.

The motorist “obviously was impaired,” said Elder, noting that the driver “had an odor of alcohol emitting from his breath,” along with slurred speech, and bloodshot and watery eyes.

Initial crash reconstruction work led police to determine that Nalls was riding on the street — two people who saw the crash said Nalls was riding on the shoulder.

Police say the van was heading west on Franklin near Harriet Avenue S. about 9:50 p.m. when it came over a hill and hit Nalls. At some point, police added, the van also hit a parked vehicle.

Elders said Nalls was pinned under the van and fire department personnel used equipment to lift the van off him, but he died at the scene.

State records show that the van driver has one minor traffic violation on his record along with convictions for disorderly conduct and ­unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Ben Peterson said he was driving east on Franklin and saw Nalls riding toward him in an opposite lane of traffic. That’s when “the van came over the hill,” Peterson said. “I didn’t see him hit the brakes.”

The van “was going pretty fast,” he said. “I knew right away when he came over the hill that he was going to hit the bike. I can’t imagine the van [driver] could not have seen him.”

Peterson, a student at Dunwoody Institute who drives that stretch every day, looked out his side window a second or two later, saw the van hit the bicycle and turned around “to see if he was OK.”

“The cops were there already, and there were ­people on their cellphones calling 911,” he said.

Jordan Lyseng said he and his wife were heading west on Franklin when the van “passed on the left pretty fast and moved back in front of us.”

Lyseng said he saw the van hit the bicycle — its red light flashing on the back and a headlight illuminated on the front — as it rolled along on the shoulder. The bike ended up in the street, Lyseng said, and he moved it to the sidewalk next to the victim’s backpack.

The driver then started ­getting out of his vehicle, but several people “were telling him to stay in the van,” Lyseng said. “He was pretty startled.”

Nalls’ mother is now left with coming north to claim her son’s body.

“He was moving up in the world,” Sweigart said. “He was living the dream. They said he brightened up the whole hotel.

“My son was a superstar. We all lived through him.”

Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/243446521.html

Fire Chief Finds Downed Cyclist on Way to Work, Aids in Search for Suspect An Irvine man died at the scene. Deputies arrest an 18-year-old woman in Rancho Santa Margarita.
Posted by Penny Arévalo (Editor) , February 03, 2014 at 10:26 AM

eef5307528626bfe5ec217f00056ff75
A 21-year-old Irvine man was killed as he was cycling down Santiago Canyon Road. The suspect was caught in Rancho Santa Margarita.

Originally posted at 10:01 a.m. Feb. 3, 2014.

On his way to work Sunday morning, Orange County fire Battalion Chief Marc Stone noticed a vehicle pass by him on Santiago Canyon Road with a heavily damaged windshield.

At first, he thought it must have struck a deer. Stone kept his eyes peeled, according to a series of emails shared between Orange County firefighters.

But a shoe lying in the roadway said otherwise.

“He turned around to investigate and found a 21-year-[old] bike rider that had been struck,” wrote Senior Fire Communication Supervisor David Paschke. “Both the victim and bike may have never been located for several hours or until this lone riders family/friends reported him missing, as he had been flipped over the guardrail into the brush.”

Stone notified the California Highway Patrol, which also notified Orange County Sheriff’s deputies, who eventually caught up to suspect Sommer N. Gonzales, 18, of Tustin, who was arrested in Rancho Santa Margarita.

“During this investigation, it was determined that (Gonzales) was under the influence,” said California Highway Patrol Officer J. Childers.
The coroner identified the victim as Joseph Robinson, 21, of Irvine. Robinson was pronounced dead at the scene.

Gonzales was booked into the Central Womens Jail without bail on suspicion of felony driving under the influence causing injuries and felony hit and run causing injuries. She was due to appear in Central Jail Court in Santa Ana today.

“If it wasn’t for Chief Marc Stone’s gut instinct that something was wrong, the 18-year-old might have evaded arrest,” said Orange County Fire Authority spokesman Steve Concialdi. “This is why we want people to call 911 when they see something suspicious and something just doesn’t feel right.”

A post on the SoCal Trailrider’s forum identifies Robinson as an employee of the Jax Bicycle Center in Irvine.

“This morning a friend of mine was hit and killed while riding his Road Bike on Santiago Canyon Rd by a hit and run driver. Joey worked with me at Two Wheels One Planet in Costa Mesa for about a year and was currently working at Jax in Irvine. He was 21. Joey was a really good road cyclist and one of the safest riders I know of.”

City News Service contributed to this report.

http://ranchosantamargarita.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/fire-chief-finds-downed-cyclist-aids-in-search-for-suspect

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/2011-nyc-cycling-risk-indicator.pdf

Using this data, I calculated the percentage of "motor vehicle traffic crashes" that resulted in death rather than severe injury.

18+13+21+18+16+22+18+24+25+12+19+22;

369+392+386+337+354+337+367+359+337+298+387+391;

228 / (4314+228);

Reports of severe injury were nineteen times more common than reports of fatality.

Another report from the same agency in NYC.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/2012-bicycle-crash-data-report.pdf

"Crashes Involving Motor Vehicles (Traffic Injuries & Fatalities)"

3882 (non-fatal) bicyclist injuries
18 bicyclist fatalities

18 / (3882+18) = 0.0046153846153846

That's 215 injuries for every fatality.

HUGE difference! Does this mean that only 1 in 11 cyclist-motorist accidents involving injury actually involve "severe injuries" or fatalities!? Maybe this isn't true in suburban or rural areas, but it seems to be the case in New York City.

Like with anything else, there are risks. That shouldn't stop you from riding, however. Just talk to experienced riders and learn some safety tips. Common sense is key to staying safe.

Originally Posted by urge2kill

says the guy whose avatar is a corn dog wrapped in bacon...
grin.png
I wish we had an emoticon library with some little yellow dude rolling around on floor laughing hysterically right now.

Track cycling is also dangerous:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/south-african-track-cyclist-killed-in-keirin-crash_316921

South African track cyclist killed in keirin crash
  • By VeloNews.com
  • Published 23 hours ago
JOHANNESBURG (AFP) — South African track cyclist Jeanne Nell has died following a crash while attempting to qualify for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, officials said on Wednesday.

Nell, a former national sprint, time trial, and keirin champion, fell during a keirin race in Cape Town on Tuesday and suffered head injuries. He later died in the hospital.

The South African Sport Confederation and Olympic Committee said Nell was part of the men’s sprint team attempting to qualify for the Commonwealth Games later this year.

His coach Ricky Kulsen described Nell as “one of the best sprinters South Africa has ever had … a true champion lost to South African cycling.”

Nell represented South Africa at the UCI Track World Cup in Manchester last year.

Nell’s death follows that of South Africa’s Olympic mountain biker Burry Stander, who was killed in a car/bike collision during training.

I hate it when I hear about competitive riders being injured, or worse, on training rides. I know many times it's the result of a careless driver but I was watching a video this morning with some french guys doing sprint training and in the span of this 2:55 long video, not only is there a potential head on with a group of cyclists (2:48) there is a close call with a car a few seconds later.

Sorry, but no matter what anyone wants to say about these guys being in full control, it's at the end of a sprint workout when reflexes are the slowest and coordination timing can be severely compromised, and while they may be in full control the guy heading the other way could be on his way home from a pub lunch. Sprint training, into oncoming traffic, on an open trafficked road, with limited down range visibility (due to trees on the side, and ascending a small rise reducing available horizon)... what a bunch of retards.

0.jpg

Here's what we're up against on Long Island in New York: http://northport.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/suffolk-pol-no-one-should-ever-ride-a-bike-in-suffolk-county

Originally Posted by hyperliterate
Here's what we're up against on Long Island in New York: http://northport.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/suffolk-pol-no-one-should-ever-ride-a-bike-in-suffolk-county
I don't know which I find harder to stomach: the "fact" that 90% of the people he told not to take up bicycling got hit by a car (yeah right), or that a politician who's party is supposedly founded on the freedom of the individual to do what they will, is comfortable "telling" people what to do. Douche.

I took a ride out to the Hamptons about 20 years ago. Caught the F train out to Queens, road along the north shore (25A?) till I got tired of the hills, hitched a ride with my bike in the back of someone's pickup to the south shore, and road Sunrise Highway (and whatever road it turned into) all the way out to Bridge Hampton. All in all about 100 miles. No problems at all.

Originally Posted by danfoz

I don't know which I find harder to stomach: the "fact" that 90% of the people he told not to take up bicycling got hit by a car (yeah right), or that a politician who's party is supposedly founded on the freedom of the individual to do what they will, is comfortable "telling" people what to do. Douche.

I took a ride out to the Hamptons about 20 years ago. Caught the F train out to Queens, road along the north shore (25A?) till I got tired of the hills, hitched a ride with my bike in the back of someone's pickup to the south shore, and road Sunrise Highway (and whatever road it turned into) all the way out to Bridge Hampton. All in all about 100 miles. No problems at all.
That's a nice ride. You should come out for the "Tour of the Hamptons" ride in September. They have 25, 50, 70, and 100 mile routes. The 100 mile route is from Southampton to Montauk. The routes are good and scenic and aren't all on busy roads. The "Tour" is sponsored by the Massapequa Bike Club. Here's a couple of web pages to look over:

http://www.massparkbikeclub.org/

http://www.massparkbikeclub.org/toh.html

Barraga simply spoke the truth.

He did not tell anyone what to do or what not to do.

He simply stated his opinion. Here are his exact words.

"I have lived in West Islip most of my life and my personal feeling is that no one who lives in our hamlet or for that matter in Suffolk County should ever ride a bicycle or a motorcycle."

And...

"Reality at a time can be difficult for some to come to grips with but giving false hope would be inappropriate."

Not everyone views life from over the handlebars. Reality bites and gravity kills.

There are some areas where the roads are so congested and the drivers of such poor quality that I, personally, would not drive there even in an up-armored Humvee. There are many area in my own, rural locale that I advise cyclist against riding in.

Islip...isn't that the place made famous by the figure-eight track that held stock car 'races' with cross traffic? Yeesh!

In the letter he wrote "I cannot tell you how many constituents over the years have told me that they are taking up bicycling for pleasure and exercise. I have told them not to do so but they usually do not listen – 90 percent of those people eventually were hit by an automobile many like your mother with serious physical injuries."

His exact words may come from a good place, but the truthfulness of the first statement is dubious, and "I have told them not to do so..." sounds suspiciously like he has told them not to do something.

I have no affiliation to either the Democrat or Republican party but I gather the three of us can agree road cycling is dangerous.

True that!

90% sounds high, but I can rattle off a heck of a lot of names of friends that come to one form of grief or the other on the highways. Myself, first and foremost on that list.

Not in the report, but it is in other news reports that the cyclist ran a stop sign.

Friends, family mourn Rancho Cucamonga cyclist killed in crash
AR-140219947.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667
La Vonne Koester of Rancho Cucamonga is shown on a bike ride a few weeks ago. An avid rider, Koester died Saturday near Thermal when she was struck by a truck at an intersection while riding in the Tour de Palm Springs. photo courtesy of richard mayo

By Don Sproul, San Bernardino Sun
Posted: 02/10/14, 8:34 PM PST |

EP-140219947.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

A ghost bike was placed at the intersection near Thermal where La Vonne Koester died Saturday when she was struck by a truck while riding in the Tour de Palm Springs. Photo courtesy Inland Empire Biking Alliance.

MEMORIAL fundraiser
Supporters of the American Diabetes Association, local cyclists and friends of La Vonne Koester are invited to gather to celebrate her life and support her cause from 6-9 p.m. Feb. 20 at Dale Brothers Brewery, 2120 Porterfield Way, Upland.

Additional details of the evening dubbed “La Vonne’s Memorial Fundraiser for Diabetes,” can be found on Facebook.

As friends and family mourned, a stark white ghost bike adorned with a collection of red Valentine’s Day balloons was placed Monday at the site where Rancho Cucamonga cyclist La Vonne Koester was killed while riding in the Tour de Palm Springs on Saturday.

Well known to members of the area’s cycling community, Koester, 55, was struck by a truck and killed Saturday at the intersection of Avenue 60 and Harrison Street in Thermal, according to California Highway Patrol Officer Mike Radford, based out of the Indio station.

The intersection is a two-way stop; the driver of the vehicle was questioned but not held, Radford said.

The ghost bike, a tribute to riders who have been killed on the road, was placed by the Inland Empire Biking Alliance.

Fellow rider and friend Richard Mayo described Koester, a Chase Bank executive, as one of the warmest people he ever knew.
She was well liked, devoted to raising money for the American Diabetes Association and had shaped herself into a formidable rider over the last five years.

Just last year, she and her son, Scott, who regularly rode with her, teamed up to conquer the King of the Mountains Century Challenge. The event combines three 100-plus mile rides, which feature climbing ranging from 8,000 to 13,900 feet.

She also had participated in the Ragbrai event, a nationally-known seven-day, 468-mile ride across Iowa, was a regular participant in Upland’s Tour de Foothills and rides hosted by local show-and-go club, the Psycho-lists and Rancho Cucamonga’s Cycling Connection.

She served on the Cycling Connection board as the group’s social director.

Along with riding, a real passion for Koester was supporting the American Diabetes Association and its Tour de Cure Ship to Shore ride, which starts and ends at the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

She and Mayo were organizing a team they called “Jerry’s Kids,” after Koester’s father who died from diabetes, for the April event.
Funeral services were pending. Koester is survived by two adult sons, Shawn and Scott, and her husband, Ron.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/general-news/20140210/friends-family-mourn-rancho-cucamonga-cyclist-killed-in-crash

12 February 2014 Last updated at 16:16 ET