Is road cycling dangerous?

Originally Posted by oldbobcat

A beer can went whizzing by my head, the driver stopped to make trouble, but one of the larger guys intimidated him and he took off. Nobody was hurt.
Always bring a Donk on a group ride.

0.jpg

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by JH: "[COLOR=181818]My feeling have been hurt multiple times."[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Do what I did...I traded off my feelings for a mint 1967 Triumph Tiger.[/COLOR]
But I bet your feelings get butt hurt when those Lucas electrical components and switches start acting up just because the can/will or the floor pan rots out after being exposed to a 15 minute rain shower :p

Nice park, Dan. How many muggings take place there?

Swampy...you know me better than that! I've replaced MGA plywood floors and learned to drink warm beer!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Nice park, Dan. How many muggings take place there?
LOL! Park Slope used to be pretty rough and tumble in the 70's and 80's. I've had 2 friends grow up in the neighborhood and tell me stories. In the 80's one of them had a Fat Chance stolen while he was lounging in the meadow sunning himself... fella just walked up to him, pulled out a gun and said "I'm taking your bike!", I believe the reply was something like "It's yours". And Sam, owner of said bike, was a large dude.

When I moved here in the early 90's, things had calmed down considerably and it seems to be getting safer. I remember taking my SL3 out at 2am and doing some laps mid-summer 2011. Didn't see much except a few police cruisers parked around the loop, with the inhabitants munching away on donuts. I would never, ever have considered doing the same in Central Park in NYC when I raced in the 80's. Could be dat crazy white boy has something up his sleeve if he's crazy enough to be doing laps at 2am. Actually, I carry an extender baton but that's about the extent of it. Our previous two mayors sharing the common theme of a noticeable police presence probably have more to do with it.

Quote by Dan:
"I carry an extender baton but that's about the extent of it."

An ASP? Yeah, better that nothing and even that is probably considered an illegal 'deadly weapon' in NYC. CCW permits are damned near impossible to get in NYC and even the entire state.

Before I pulled out an ASP I would have to be 110% certain I wasn't taking a baton to a gun fight...criminals do not seem to hold the law in high regard...

Even some of the local big city parks are sketchy here...drug dealing meccas and loafin' low lifes all over the place.

Bob, if someone pulls a gun they're getting the bike. The ASP is for the off chance the goal is a recreational beat down... like you said, better than nothing. There's also a half dozen years of MMA under the hood. Considering the locale, it's the best I can do.

CAMPYBOB said:
Nice park, Dan. How many muggings take place there? Swampy...you know me better than that! I've replaced MGA plywood floors and learned to drink warm beer!
Warm beer, Bob? Cool beer, not cold, not warm. Plywood. Car repairs at Home Depot isle 34.

Extended baton - I used to carry a 22" steel tubed dog kosh - aka uber strong frame pump. Worked very well indeed. No permits required... ... A friend discovered it worked well on car drivers too. He also showed a nice anti-retribution trick. Hit them with the stick the take their car keys and drop them down the drain.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/in-the-news-iam-cycling-rider-goddaert-killed-in-training-crash_317412

Belgian television broadcaster Sporza reported Tuesday that IAM Cycling rider Kristof Goddaert was killed in a training crash in Antwerp. According to Sporza, Goddaert crashed on a train crossing. A bus was unable to avoid striking the 27-year-old Belgian, who died at the scene of the crash.

That Forbes article didn't give much information, but I'm having difficulty finding similar info.

I did find this on k-state.edu, however.

Quote Cody Bird:
krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/2097/6908/3/CodyBird2010.pdf
Proponents of off-street paths claim that the greatest risk to cycling on the road comes from bicycles being overtaken by same direction motor traffic. They argue that by separating bicycle and motor traffic, travel will be safer for the cyclist. However, Forester points out that only about 1.2 percent of cycling accidents result from same direction vehicles overtaking a bicycle while 89 percent occur at intersections and crossings

I need to see Forester's source though. I'm thinking this statistic could be skewed by the cyclists who enjoy racing through city traffic, blowing all the stoplights.

I've always found bike paths that are separated from regular traffic by a curb or similar pretty much useless as they nearly always accumulate lots of broken bottles and other **** that'll train you well in puncture repair and not so much in getting fitter...

Reactions: gary-trek
I know what you mean. I don't use bike paths after sun-set because I won't see the glass until it's within range of my headlight.

Quote by Swampy:
"Warm beer, Bob?"

Yeah. Climbing off the bike in Merry Olde and ordering a brew got me...pisswater warm swill. Even the French had mastered refridgeration.

"Hit them with the stick the take their car keys and drop them down the drain."

I may or may not have been present when a moron motorist had his keys tossed into a hay field after a physical altercation with a certain handsome local cyclist. Much like Jeremy Clarkson after he smashed the libtard moron Piers Morgan's face...I'm pretty sure someone had a busted a finger.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Quote by JH:
"My feeling have been hurt multiple times."

Do what I did...I traded off my feelings for a mint 1967 Triumph Tiger.
I always wanted a Cobra , even if it is just a replica, with a 302 "Bossed Out". I have as of late thought about asking my brother about getting his 1954 Ford Sunliner to rebuild. It is a fairly rare car and has been sitting in his basement for decades now. It would take a large amount of work and money to restore.

With all the ****/drunk/drugged drivers here, i'm surprised i'm still alive.

Drivers and crashes are getting worse here. Texting and electronic device use is causing more head-on crashes than I've seen in years.

Vehicles drifting left-of-center into oncoming traffic is getting almost commonplace. Just as concerning are the vehicles drifting off the right side of the road...

Most of those result in accidents in which no one else is involved, thankfully. Still...

We have drivers that are drugged, drunk, have poor vision, lack reflexes/response time, no driver's license, no insurance (legally required here), illegal immigrants, speed maniacs, inattentive kids and adults, road ragers...it's a mess on our highways and danger lurks just about everywhere.

Reactions: vggcyc
Originally Posted by jhuskey
Cycling forums are much worse. My feeling have been hurt multiple times.
My dog was trying to lick my wounds after I jogged him on the slippery, ice-coated sidewalks. If your dog licks your wounds, carry neosporin.

VERMONT CRASH DATA RESOURCE BOOK 2007
http://ghsp.vermont.gov/sites/ghsp/files/pdfs/2007_CrashBook_Complete_6.pdf

VERMONT CRASH DATA RESOURCE BOOK 2009
http://ghsp.vermont.gov/sites/ghsp/files/pdfs/2009%20Final%20Edition%205-2-2012.pdf

They're identical reports. On pages 105-115, they give motorist-bicyclist crash statistics. The images below are charts of pooled data from the 2007 and 2009 reports. I didn't bother pooling all the data because some of the charts appeared useless. For example, the charts that sort the accidents by months or time of day are useless unless we know the relative number of cyclists on the streets at those times. If a program followed cyclists accidents AND their riding habits, it might give better data, but I digress...

Table 4.39 documents the number of motorist-bicyclist accidents that involved each category of driver error. I slashed a line red if there were no accidents under that category.

Similarly, Table 4.40 documents the errors on the part of the bicyclists that led to accidents.

However, keep in mind that we are talking about bicyclists of all ages (Table 4.47).

Table 4.45 gives us the number of bicyclist-motorist and pedestrian-motorist crashes occurring on each day of the week. In addition to pooling the data from each report, I made a column that pools bicyclist and pedestrian data.

combining Tables 4.48 and 4.50 from each report:
Out of 208 cyclists crashes, 2 were alcohol related, and 0 were fatal.
Out of 276 pedestrian crashes, 16 were alcohol related, and 9 were fatal.

I also found numbers of DUI arrests on each day of the week. It's Table 1.7 on page 10 of "The Illinois DUI Risk Reduction Project: ASUDS-RI Pilot Phase I (Statistical Summary)" by Joy Syrcle, M.A. and William White, M.A.
http://cspl.uis.edu/ILLAPS/Research/documents/ASUDSRIPilotPhaseIStatisticalSummary.pdf

Mind that this is Illinois data, and the above was Vermont data.

Sunday 112 23.0 % Monday 36 7.4 % Tuesday 50 10.3 % Wednesday 38 7.8 % Thursday 62 12.8 % Friday 71 14.6 % Saturday 114 23.5 %

Reactions: steve
"Distracted By Technology...1"

Methinks the compilers were distracted by drugs.

or it's a cultural difference. How different is Vermont from New York?

I'll see if it has information on how the data is collected.