Is road cycling dangerous?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Dangerous?

You damned right it is!

Even the wildlife is out to kills ya!

I recommend Stubb's BBQ sauce, medium high, 10 minutes a side.

I would certainly never stop biking because of the risks. I think its much more risky in an urban environment. I took up cycling about 2 years ago at age 58 and I never thought that at this point that I would have had four close calls that could have resulted in death or serious injury to myself. I've learned to stay on bike trails as much as possible and to always be extremely wary of cars because many people drive like idiots. I always wear a helmut and usually gloves also after I injured a hand when I hit the pavement after my bike skidded on wet leaves. The benefits I have derived from biking have been enormous. I had chronic hip pain that completely went away after I started biking. Biking has been exceptionally beneficial to my fitness and endurance. I did a 72 mile ride last summer and it was almost easy for me. I'm planning on doing a century ride this summer and I'm in my 60s. My only regret is not taking this activity up at an earlier age.

If you havent seen any of these things, then you havent been riding very long....minus the wolves chasing you :) YES....RIDING IS CRAZY DANGEROUS....but we keep at it!

Jenniferawhile said:
If you havent seen any of these things, then you havent been riding very long....minus the wolves chasing you :) YES....RIDING IS CRAZY DANGEROUS....but we keep at it!
Since you're new to Tucson, if you pedal outside of downtown you'll need to get used to seeing rattlesnakes, coyotes, bobcats, eagles, javalinas, and tarantulas. Note that when turning avoid tarantulas as they do not provide any useful friction.

"I recommend Stubb's BBQ sauce, medium high, 10 minutes a side."

Good plan. Got a beer to go with?

Chili with beans or without beans?

"YES....RIDING IS CRAZY DANGEROUS....but we keep at it!"

The roads were clogged with retarded drivers today...and a freaking loose pony that was hell bent on committing suicide on a busy road just over a hill that created a blind spot for approaching vehicles. Stupid dangerous!

People passing the four of us going up hills with NO distance to top. I kept trying to find less travelled roads, but this was the first nice weekend weather in a long time and every moron and his brother decided to take their car or truck somewhere.

Only a damned Yankee would put beens in the chili!!!

And then you got SW OHIO...

We need to nuke Cinci!!!! Beans AND spaghetti?!?! W.T.F.???

Only a damned Yankee would put beens in the chili!!!

And then you got SW OHIO...

We need to nuke Cinci!!!! Beans AND spaghetti?!?! W.T.F.???
Well, call me a damned Yankee, then. But I agree that noodles are too far--THAT is the abomination. I lived in Madison, IN for several years, which was apparently too close to Cincina-duh because they liked noodles in their chili there.

I like all kinds of stuff in my chili--beans (red, white, pinto, kidney), beef, steak, shrimp (grill this stuff first...phenomenal), tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers, chipotle peppers, sauteed onions, corn, cheese, corn chips, sour cream.

Otherwise, tomato/chile pepper soup doesn't do a whole lot for me. If I'm going to get heartburn, I'm darned well going to enjoy the food that gives it to me!

Beans AND spaghetti?!?! W.T.F.???
When I was in the Army a couple days after we had chili (it always had beans) the cooks would serve the chili over spaghetti. I learned to like... even enjoy... the chili spaghetti. After "the war" I found out that Frisch's also served chili over spaghetti. And then after moving to SW Ohio.... discovered the Greek version of the dish called Cincinnati (or sky-line) chili. The latter contains ginger... which I never got used to on spaghetti. But the chili does work well on hot dogs.

im into sushi lately, avocado - rice - shrimp - cream cheese - chive all on soya sauce, amazing taste

Originally Posted by vspa .

im into sushi lately, avocado - rice - shrimp - cream cheese - chive all on soya sauce, amazing taste
Hi vspa, sounds good /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I reckon sushi, rice - beans - spaghetti - cream cheese - chive all on chilli sauce would taste good, also ... possibly cycling dangerous /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

thanks KL /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Unfortunately it looks like we are off to a bad start for 2013 in the Atlanta area. Another cyclist killed this morning in a hit and run. I think this may be the 8th in the last two months. Last month a very good female cyclist in my social circle was killed.

Gotta keep it moving forward, Road ID on the wrist and hugging the white line the best I can.

Bummer

Thanks Campy for the link. I was looking around earlier to see if it was anyone that I might know and it is not, but it is nice to see that an arrest was made.

No sweat. My condolences on your friend's death, also.

While searching around for news about the cyclist's death today, I think I read about three or four other recent cycling deaths in the Hotlanta metro area.

Your distracted and brain dead drivers are probably genetically linked to our strain of moron drivers.

Most likely way to die is a result of some dozey 2@ in a 4 wheeled vehicle. Its actually safer to wrestle alligators in space.

Please clarify WRT 'Hugging thewhite line'

Are you suggesting we all ride at the very limits of the road edge .. up against the kerb?
Where we can't be seen?
To me this spells danger.
Most accidents happen because the cyclist was not seen .. its the whole ethos behind Bikeability .. TO BE SEEN!
We perscribe 2 positions, secendary .. or sharing position 1 metre from the roads edge to allow cars to pass bywhulst still being seen
and Primary or hogging position, in the middle of the lane for use where the rider required sole use of the road, upon aproach to junctions for example. It give 3 benefits to the rider..
1 The rider can see other road users better - such as those pulling out of aside road
2 Other road users can see the rider better
3 it tells following traffic that the rider does not want to be overtaken.

I grant you that you may receive abuse and beeped horns - but in that case it has served it purpose of making the rider be seen
Rgds
Mark

Originally Posted by Omeganoddy .

Please clarify WRT 'Hugging thewhite line'

Are you suggesting we all ride at the very limits of the road edge .. up against the kerb?
Where we can't be seen?
Mark
Mark, I guess you are asking me since I posted that comment.

Does my comment suggest that to you? Does it suggest that I am commanding others do it?
Did I start that phrase with, "Everyone riding a bike should......."?

If it does it wasn't intended to be. It was just a comment posted suggesting nothing more than I ride to the right near the white line, which is what almost every cyclist in my area does.[COLOR= #ff0000](ref)[/COLOR] It is what just about every cycling group does in this area. It is what just about every race team does in this area. It is what is expected by the local authorities.

Just to clarify what hugging the white line means, which those in my area understand because there is often not a shoulder is that we try to stay as far right on the white line as possible and usually we cannot go to the right of the white line because most of the roads in my area do not have pavement past the white line.

Edit:
Reference
http://www.georgiabikes.org/index.php/resources/35/76-ga-bicycle-laws

40-6-294.
(a) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, except when turning left or avoiding hazards to safe cycling, when the lane is too narrow to share safely with a motor vehicle, when traveling at the same speed as traffic, or while exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; provided, however, that every person operating a bicycle away from the right side of the roadway shall exercise reasonable care and shall give due consideration to the other applicable rules of the road.
(c) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on bicycle paths, bicycle lanes, or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, or when a special event permit issued by a local governing authority permits riding more than two abreast.