Is road cycling dangerous?

Thanks Bob, I think you gave a very adequate answer to a concurrent causation. The only law being broken is the law of physics stating that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Civil law is different and for the most part is based on comparative fault , at least most states in the US.
Proof of negligence does not always equate to criminal intent.

Reactions: steve
The family was just crushed when the young man was hit by the car. The driver lawyered up and it took almost three years to resolve everything. Nothing will bring him back...and I'm certain the driver, however many issues went down that day, had no intent to injure anyone intentionally.

I'm following the case and trial of the pickup truck driver that struck the five cyclists, killing two, near the Cuyahoga Valley National Park a couple months ago. This is another case that I find myself questioning any criminal intent being involved. He turned left into the path of the oncoming cyclists. The cyclists obviously had the right-of-way and the sun may have been in the truck driver's eyes or he may have mis-judged the closing rate of the cyclists. That's something every experienced cyclist has witnessed as often as seeing drivers intentionally cut across our path.

The driver was criminally charged in this case. I'm pretty sure the OSHP and the prosecutor have much more information about the crash than I do, so I'll just stay tuned and see what shakes out.

Again, no amount of punishment will bring the two cyclists back to us and you can be sure the civil case(s) will follow. The only thing they will serve as will be a possible deterrent to other drivers...and I'm not even certain of that anymore. Very few seem to give a **** what happens behind the wheel.

We have never criminalized ordinary negligence, unless it rises to the level of endangering children, the elderly, or others who can't care for themselves.

We do criminalize recklessness.

Intentional acts---like leaving the scene of an accident---are almost always criminal.

Well, of course it can be very dangerous.
If you are the one who follows the rules strictly, always, and without exception, can you say that the person behind the wheel does the same. You, as a cyclist, have a great responsibility towards both yourself and the environment, people and animals included. But, so does the person who may drive a car or a van or any other vehicle. However, bear in mind that there are so many irresponsible drivers out there, and even if you follow your rules very well, often it happens that someone else causes disaster.
It has happened in my town a lot of times. So, it is possible.
However, if one is afraid to go cycle on the road, just because there are so many things that happen, he or she might either find some other place to cycle, maybe a countryside, or else do the cycling on a home bike.
Don't be afraid, accidents may happen everywhere and to everyone, no matter whether you cycle, walk, drive, etc. Just go out and ride your bike, just pay attention and do not cycle fast if the surrounding does not allow it.

It can be dangerous if you don't obey the road rules. You should never assume that you are safe and yet you don't have a reflective jacket on. You must be visible to other road users to avoid accidents. You must also remember to put on your helmet for your safety, incase anything happens. Never go riding while under influence of drugs. If you can follow the simple tips then you will enjoy road cycling.

The family was just crushed when the young man was hit by the car. The driver lawyered up and it took almost three years to resolve everything. Nothing will bring him back...and I'm certain the driver, however many issues went down that day, had no intent to injure anyone intentionally.

I'm following the case and trial of the pickup truck driver that struck the five cyclists, killing two, near the Cuyahoga Valley National Park a couple months ago. This is another case that I find myself questioning any criminal intent being involved. He turned left into the path of the oncoming cyclists. The cyclists obviously had the right-of-way and the sun may have been in the truck driver's eyes or he may have mis-judged the closing rate of the cyclists. That's something every experienced cyclist has witnessed as often as seeing drivers intentionally cut across our path.

The driver was criminally charged in this case. I'm pretty sure the OSHP and the prosecutor have much more information about the crash than I do, so I'll just stay tuned and see what shakes out.

Again, no amount of punishment will bring the two cyclists back to us and you can be sure the civil case(s) will follow. The only thing they will serve as will be a possible deterrent to other drivers...and I'm not even certain of that anymore. Very few seem to give a **** what happens behind the wheel.

Your last line is the key. A young woman was killed a few months back here in the Richmond VA area when a driver hit her from behind. He told the police that, "he thought she was alongside the road, not on it" and that "my eyes aren't very good anymore." Why the hell was he driving, then? Because he didn't give a **** if he or someone else was injured or killed.

I'm just appalled at the complete lack of caring or the utter sense of entitlement that some people have in this day and age.

Ride defensively,
Brian in VA

Texting and inattentive, negligent drivers pose the biggest risk to me while cycling although the lady who speed by me and slammed on her brakes last Fall was special. I hit my brakes as hard as I could but managed to slightly hit her bumper resulting in her yelling at me and I yelling at her. I had an oncoming car, a two foot deep ditch or her bumper. I chose her bumper since I was almost stopped. She told me she would run me over the next time she sees me. Run me over.

Last edited:
She told me she would run me over the next time she sees me. Run me over.

The appropriate reply to her statement...

When+the+bf+reads+this+_7ac5cffd41a60ca798761c9e1b7d3789.gif

Let's hope you don't get shot in the face...

Video and more pictures at the link.

man%20shot%20on%20bike%20pics5_1452305262814_29622194_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/cle-man-shot-while-riding-bike-saved-by-police-and-witnesses

CLEVELAND - Quick response by Cleveland Police officers and witnesses played a major role in saving a man who was shot in the face while riding his bike at E. 116th Street and Miles Avenue.

Police told newnet5.com Lloyd Terrell, 59, of Cleveland, was shot on Jan. 7th, the bullet hitting him in the jaw.

Ronald Atwater and his girlfriend witnessed the shooting, quickly stopped their car, called police and then tried to stop the bleeding.

"We heard two shots, and then we saw the man just stagger off into the field," said Atwater.

"It was scary, he was coughing up a lot of blood, and he was bleeding like crazy. I was worried, she was worried, we were worried about him."

Atwater explained Cleveland police arrived just a few minutes later, carrying with them their new on-board medical kits, including a packet of quick clot.

Atwater said police were able to stop the perfuse bleeding at the scene in less than a minute, making a big difference until EMS arrived minutes later.

"It's a life saver, it's quicker and it helps them out more with the ambulance, because you never know when it's going to come,' said Atwater. "It stabilized the man a little better."

Sergeant Jennifer Ciaccia told newsnet5.com the relatively new medical kits are now on-board 400 zone cars across the city.

Ciaccia also credited additional police training.

"During the course of the training we were taught how to use the tourniquets, the quick clot, gauze and things like that," said Ciaccia. "We were also taught CPR."

Meanwhile Lloyd Terrell remains in critical condition at Metro Health Medical Center.

Texting and inattentive, negligent drivers pose the biggest risk to me while cyclin

g although the lady who speed by me and slammed on her brakes last Fall was special. I hit my brakes as hard as I could but managed to slightly hit her bumper resulting in her yelling at me and I yelling at her. I had an oncoming car, a two foot deep ditch or her bumper. I chose her bumper since I was almost stopped. She told me she would run me over the next time she sees me. Run me over.

Next time tell her you are going to take a photo of her a** and post it on social media.

I only bike on my road, and even then I'm very cautious. My road is not marked with lines and has very little traffic. You could say it's a "dead end road". Anyway, I wouldn't. It's too dangerous for me. Everyone's right though. Taking risks is what life is about.

Next time tell her you are going to take a photo of her a** and post it on social media.

She is in the country illegally working for an old lady on an estate and if I were to complain about our guest/refugee/future liberal voter/etc., I might get myself into hot water. Besides I do not want to offend anyone especially as a relatively new poster here because I do not want to be banned or reprimanded for bad words toward Liberals.

I use to feel that way but I guess I feel I have been pushed too far. The truth seems to enrage some people. Not that I condone insults and internet feuding but a little non-PC can be enlightening.

I generally try to wave when cars honk (assuming they just want to let me know of their presence) but once in a blue moon a driver will push me to the edge and once or twice a year, I FLIP a driver off but then again, I get ridden off the road a couple times a year and have objects thrown on me (like a half full soda or I have some beer cans dumped on me at around 1 am). These incidents might illicit the middle finger but only if I am tired or cranky low on glucose. I am compelled to be friendly to avoid any conflict. I just go the other way. If someone runs me over and this is a real risk given how many miles I ride, my estate will make their life miserable in civil court.

I was on a 300K Brevet riding with a foreigner and a young fellow in a motor vehicle intentionally cut us off and we went into the ditch he stopped and laughed right into our face. The foreigner upped the ante and was going in. Given the bumper and window stickers and especially the locale, I suspected our hooligan did not have the only firearm in the area. It took a lot of convincing to just let it go. Eventually tempers subsided. Just turn around and go the other way. If they turn around, rinse and repeat. On another ride, an old broken down Continental drove me off the road a few times and I just kept going the other way once I caught on to "the Game". Eventually they took off. I had a situation like that once where I actually went down and the driver kept coming back running em off the road. I went to the LPD a few miles down the road and they laughed me out of the station. I had the make, model, and license plate. They would not even take a report.

I video all my rides but must say I do not have that much trouble. Nothing like you have experienced. Most people around here are generally polite.

Surely not as safe as cycling in the countryside, but I think it is all a matter of concentration. If you are careful and have taken the right precautions, then it is not as dangerous as it looks in first sight.

It definitely can be. Especially in large cities. People here in CO don't care about cyclists and are very rude and feel entitled to everything. So you really have to be careful.

73 year old British Q-tip, driving a car with the controls on the right, and forgetting that Spain is like most of the developed world and you drive on the right there. Not on the left.