Is road cycling dangerous?

Spam-bot.

Spam-something---link in the signature:

Welcome to Sonipat Property

Indian real estate is witnessing its golden days as most of the real estate developments are sprucing up in every sphere. Most of the real estate companies are also growing up with the increasing needs of property. One such real estate consultancy named as Jindal Real Estate is marking its huge presence on the real estate scenario. The firm has been active from three years and now it has become the most reputable company in realty sphere. Sonipat, an ancient town has now turned into a flourishing urban city. Placed in Haryana, Sonipat is now an astounding hub of lavish residential and commercial infrastructure. Few minutes away from National Capital Delhi, Sonipat has come forward as the iconic city for housing, commercial, corporate, hospitality and educational sector. With a remarkable growth in all most everything, the city is now gaining the huge response of property-buyers. Surrounded with lush greenery, the town is a desired choice for buyers and developers. With its connectivity with various major cities of Haryana and close proximity to Delhi adds genuine benefits for the property investors.

Sonipat Property brings you the best deal across the town and offers you the value for your money. With a well-qualified and professional team, the company makes sure that its customers get the desired deal. The firm not only makes it comfortable to invest in a particular property but one can have numerous benefits. Here you can get the latest updates of realty sector while being the comfort of your home. You may know about the various projects being developed by the reputed real estate firm as well as properties in HUDA sectors can also be searched through it. You can buy, sell and lease your property with the help of this website. With a keen observation of properties and various projects, Sonipat Property offers a huge range of properties for all kind of buyers.

I think you can pick up property for a song around Bophal. :D

Shiva. Although multiple heads, faces, arms and appearances is a recurring theme among the gods.

Shiva is the patron god of yoga and Mahindra tractors.

That is the disadvantage of being mortal everything is dangerous. But the risk factor or road cycling is certainly more. With the availability of cars and maybe trucks moving at a faster phase than you and overtaking you may push you towards them. With careless drivers and drunk drivers I think this is not a really good idea even if you are just looking for a kick.

"All the bicyclists were in the bike lane when they were struck, he said."

"The driver of the truck, who worked for a roofing company..."

"The bicyclists were members of Santa Fe Seniors on Bikes from New Mexico, said David Gunter, a Santa Fe cyclist, in an interview Thursday night."

"Most of the riders are retired and travel to warmer places to ride in the winter months," said Gunter."

http://tucson.com/news/local/bicycl...cle_c68e8e72-e17c-11e5-87d9-4350db0e079b.html

So...we're not allowed to discuss politics...

Donald J. Campy says: "NO COMMENT!"

http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/bicyclist-killed-after-getting-hit-by-pickup-truck

Video at the link above.

MILWAUKEE - A bicyclist died Friday evening after he was struck by a truck in Milwaukee.

Police said it happened in the 6500 block of West Hampton Avenue shortly after 8:30 p.m.

The victim was riding west on Hampton when he moved into traffic to get around a parked car. Police say he was struck from behind by a Chevy pickup.

The man died on scene.

Police say the driver of the pickup remained on scene and was cooperating with the investigation.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area...downtown-bicyclist-killed-citys-first-traffic

San Jose: Downtown bicyclist killed in city's first traffic death of the year

By Robert Salonga

SAN JOSE -- After the closing of a grim year on San Jose roadways, a bicyclist was hit and killed Saturday evening while crossing a downtown intersection reportedly against a red light, according to San Jose police.

It was the city's first traffic death of the year, following a 2015 that saw 59 roadway fatalities, the highest number recorded in at least 20 years. Five of those deaths involved victims riding bicycles.

Saturday's instance was reported about 7:08 p.m. at South Seventh and Reed streets when a male adult bicyclist was hit while traveling westbound on Reed, police said. A silver 2016 Audi driven by a 20-year-old man was northbound on South Seventh and traveling on a green light when his vehicle hit the cyclist.

The impact threw the cyclist onto an southbound black 2002 GMC sport-utility vehicle, police said. A nurse who happened to be at the scene tried to perform CPR on the injured man, but he was eventually pronounced dead at the scene.

Both motorists stopped and cooperated with police, and investigators do not believe that either driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

The victim's identity was not immediately released, pending notification of his relatives.

Anyone with information about the case can contact Detective Kelvin Pham at 408-277-4654.

Blowjob Kills Cyclist

Distracted driver hit and killed bicyclist on Florida highway while receiving oral sex: authorities

BY Nicole Hensley
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, December 7, 2015, 5:45 AM

article-truck-1206.jpg
Polk County Sheriff's Office
Randy Joe Allen, 54, faces a hit-and-run charge after allegedly killing a bicyclist with his pickup truck while he was distracted by a passenger performing oral sex on him.
An inattentive driver receiving oral sex from a female passenger he met at a bar struck and killed a bicyclist along a Florida highway Saturday night, authorities said.

The suspect, Randy Joe Allen, 54, kept driving after encountering a “bump” along U.S. 92 in Auburndale and told the woman he hit a stop sign, according to Polk County Sheriff’s Office investigators.

A witness saw the fatal wreck and followed Allen to call in his license plate to 911 dispatchers. The witness returned to the site of the alleged hit-and-run and found the bicyclist had died.

The victim, who is homeless, was identified by police as 49-year-old Terry Lamunt Ross through fingerprints.

Deputies tracked Allen and his dented blood-splashed pickup truck to a Lakeland bar, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

He had no idea what he hit, Allen told authorities while allegedly slurring his speech. He claimed to be too “distracted” by the “young lady.”

He is charged in connection to the hit-and-run and could face additional charges pending toxicology results.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...l-sex-killed-bicyclist-cops-article-1.2457305

I think riding on the public road really comes down to good sense. We have to always remember if we get hit the person that will get hurt the most is us. I know there are some real hogs on the road but it's better to wait a bit or get out of the way then getting hit.

Cross-posted from another thread with thanks to Bicycleman:

http://wncn.com/2016/02/20/4-people-on-bicycles-hit-by-vehicle-in-johnston-county/

upload_2016-3-10_6-4-9.png

2 bicyclists listed as critical after 4 hit by car in Johnston Co.
WNCN Published: February 20, 2016, 3:46 pm Updated: February 22, 2016, 7:15 pm
johnston-county-crash.jpg

Photo by Patrick Preist/WNCN
THE LATEST: ‘Was she texting?’ injured bike rider asks after driver hits 4 Johnston Co. bicyclists
ANGIER, N.C. (WNCN) — Two bicyclists were listed in critical condition Sunday after four people on bicycles were hurt after they were hit by a car in Johnston County on Saturday afternoon.

Photo by Amy Cutler/WNCN
The crash happened around 2:45 p.m. at 256 Massengill Pond Road near Sue Drive and involved three men and a woman on bicycles, officials said.

UPDATE: 2 cyclists released, 2 in ICU at WakeMed after getting hit by car in Johnston Co.

The North Carolina State Highway Patrol said that a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria car, operated by Donnie Marie Williams, age 50, was traveling north on Massengill Pond Road near Sue Drive when she approached four bicyclists from the rear, striking them.

“The collision resulted in all four being ejected,” said Lt. Jeff Gordon of the NC Highway Patrol.

All four bicyclists were transported to Wake Medical Center in Raleigh with serious injuries.

THE LATEST: ‘Was she texting?’ injured bike rider asks after driver hits 4 Johnston Co. bicyclists
The four bicyclists all have non-life-threatening injuries and were identified as: Christopher Graham, 34, Joel Arthur Lawrence, 57, Lynn Lashley, 57, and Michael Dayton, 60, according to officials.

Dayton and Lashley were listed in critical condition on Sunday afternoon. The hospital did not have any information on Lawrence and Graham, who may have already been released.

Alcohol does not appear to be a factor in this case, Gordon said.

A witness told WNCN that he saw the bicycle riders before the crash and that they were riding in a single-file line along the white line on the right side of the road.

The witness said that he heard the crash and turned to look and saw a bicycle in mid-air.

Donnie Marie Williams, the driver in the crash, did stop at the scene after the crash, officials said.

Williams’ daughter came to the scene and told WNCN that her mother, who was driving, didn’t see the bicyclists until it was too late.

Her mom was too distraught to speak. The daughter, Tiffany McElveen, says her mother was coming up over the hill and didn’t see the cyclists. A car was passing in the other direction and she panicked.

“…she didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know whether to hit the other car or to try to miss the bicyclists,” McElveen said.

McElveen said that her mother was “hysterical” when she called her to the scene.

“I really couldn’t hardly understand her. She just kept saying ‘Tiffany I hit somebody, I hit somebody.’ She said ‘come down here, come down here.’ I said ‘where you at’. She told me like ten times, but I couldn’t understand what she was saying because she was so hysterical,” Tiffany McElveen said of her mother, who was not injured.

Troopers are continuing their investigation into this case, however charges are expected, Gordon said.

With regards to the above incident...not accident...

This is a classic case of **** poor driving. Bad decision making.

All she had to do was slow down and WAIT 15-30 seconds for a safe place to pass the cyclists.

Wreckless op with a suspension, maximum points and I hope the cyclists all recover completely.

http://wncn.com/2016/02/22/was-she-...s-after-driver-hits-4-johnston-co-bicyclists/

‘Was she texting?’ injured bike rider asks after driver hits 4 Johnston Co. bicyclists

By David Hurst, WNCN News Published: February 22, 2016, 7:09 pm Updated: February 23, 2016, 9:17 am
johnston-county-bicyclists-hit-4.jpg

Joel Arthur Lawrence, who was one of four bicyclists hit.
ANGIER, N.C. (WNCN) — Four bicyclists are recovering after they were hit from behind by a driver in Johnston County on Saturday.

UPDATE: Woman who hit 4 cyclists in Johnston Co. was on probation for drug charges

Two cyclists hit by a car Saturday in Angier have been released from the hospital, while two other riders hit remain in WakeMed’s Intensive Care Unit.

MORE NEWS: 2 cyclists released, 2 in ICU at WakeMed after getting hit by car in Johnston Co.

The cyclists, three men and one woman, were hit around 2:45 p.m. on Massengill Pond Road near Sue Drive, officials said.

The four bicyclists all suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were identified as Christopher Graham, 34, Joel Arthur Lawrence, 57, Lynn Lashley, 57, and Michael Dayton, 60, according to officials.

Lawrence, who lives in High Point, has been released from the hospital with very minor injuries. Chris Graham, of Durham, was released from the hospital with a broken pelvis and bone chips in his knee and ankle.

Lynn Lashley, who suffered multiple broken bones, and Mike Dayton, who has been unconscious since the crash, are both still listed in critical condition.

Lawrence, who spoke to WNCN on Skype from his home in High Point, says all four bicyclists were riding in a single file line on the far right side of the road when they were hit.

“We were all wearing safety reflector vests, we all have blinking tail lights,” said Lawrence. “We’re very deliberate and we all have lots of experience. Why she hit us, I don’t know.”

Lawrence says they were traveling a route called the “Carolina Crossroads,” created by Dayton. The route takes them from Downtown Raleigh, through Benson and they turn-around in Godwin. They claim the route is very bike-friendly.

“All the roads are very quiet and there’s hardly any traffic,” said Jerry Phelps, who knows and rides with all four of the victims. “It’s just hard to believe that this happened, especially to those four.”

Donnie Marie Williams, the driver in the crash, did stop at the scene after the crash, officials said.

Williams’ daughter came to the scene and told WNCN that her mother, who was driving, didn’t see the bicyclists until it was too late.

Her mom was too distraught to speak. The daughter, Tiffany McElveen, says her mother was coming up over the hill and didn’t see the cyclists. A car was passing in the other direction and she panicked.

“…she didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know whether to hit the other car or to try to miss the bicyclists,” McElveen said.

McElveen said that her mother was “hysterical” when she called her to the scene.

“I really could hardly understand her. She just kept saying ‘Tiffany I hit somebody, I hit somebody.’ She said ‘come down here, come down here.’ I said ‘where you at’. She told me like ten times, but I couldn’t understand what she was saying because she was so hysterical,” Tiffany McElveen said of her mother, who was not injured.

However, Lawrence questions McElveen’s account of the crash. He claims he never saw a car coming the other way.

“Was she texting? Was she fiddling around with something else? Was it just a moment when she looked one way or another? I don’t know,” said Lawrence. “In my own opinion, she probably hit all four of us before she realized that she hit anybody.”

Troopers are consulting with prosecutors about what kind of charges to file against the driver. They say they’re still looking into if the driver was texting or using her phone, but say alcohol and speed were not factors in the crash.

“I’m not going to judge her because I wasn’t in her shoes, but it just seems completely ridiculous that that was her only choice was to hit four people,” said Phelps.

Damn...there's a flashing red tail light that was blasted off one of the bicycles still flashing in the roadway in the above picture.

More information on the crash. Thanks to Bicycleman for the link.

http://www.bikelaw.com/2016/02/23/update-on-mike-dayton/

Check here for the latest news, as we get it, about the North Carolina bicycle crash that injured 4.

As most of you know, Mike Dayton and three other cyclists were run down on a North Carolina road on Saturday, February 20th. Mike is Bike Law’s webmaster and blogger, and if you read these pages, you are familiar with his wit, passion for cycling, and mastery of the topic. Mike is better known as a long time randonneur, active RUSA member, and four time finisher of Paris-Brest-Paris.

For us and many other people, Mike is the archetype of the gentleman cyclist: a leader by example of cycling etiquette, safety, and grace. And he is a whole lot of fun.

12729196_10206619481938951_1351931557228236045_n.jpg

News of the crash has rocked our community. There are so many questions, so much anger and frustration, and so much worry; so far, few answers.

We will update his page with news (most recent on top) as we get it.

Tuesday, February 24th: BREAKING NEWS

This afternoon, we learned that the driver will be charged with:

• 4 counts of violating the 2 ft passing law causing serious injury (Class 1 misdemeanors);
  • Careless and Reckless driving (Class 2 misdemeanor); and
  • Illegal passing on a crest or curve.
These charges are not adequate (even though they could carry some jail time depending on her prior record). The driver’s conduct, based on our investigation at the scene, should result in felony criminal charges. Among other factors, here are some details that warrant a more serious investigation:

• The driver never slowed down, didn’t brake, and never tried to move around the cyclists. She drove straight into them.
  • While there was an oncoming car in the opposing lane, there was no immediate danger of the cars colliding. When the oncoming driver saw the crash, she immediately stopped her car and was still some distance down the road from the scene of impact.
  • There was no sight distance issue; the oncoming driver could see the driver coming before the driver reached the cyclists; we stood at the bottom of the hill and could see far beyond the crash scene
  • After hitting the cyclists, the driver drove another 400 feet or more down the road before stopping.
  • After stopping, she ran erratically over to the crash scene and started yelling hysterically at the cyclists and telling them to wake up. She continued crying and yelling hysterically for an hour.
  • According to news reports, the driver is currently is on probation for felony drug charges.
The police did not test the driver for intoxication.

We are disheartened, but will continue our investigation and do everything we can to get justice for Mike and the others.

If she is convicted of these charges, she will hopefully face a probation revocation hearing (based on her current probation status for a felony drug crimes).

Monday, February 22nd:

Bike Law North Carolina’s Ann Groninger went to Raleigh to visit Mike and the scene of the crash.

[Folks, for once and for all, this was not an “accident.” If you are confused about the terminology, read this.]

My / Ann’s first order of business was to check in with Mike and his family at the hospital. It immediately became clear that a LOT of people care about Mike. The waiting room was busy with family, friends and supporters coming in and out. Mike is such a great guy, it’s no surprise that he has such a wonderful family and so many friends who love him. After hearing on Sunday night that Mike was in a coma, it was good to hear upon my arrival on Monday morning that he had shown some slight responsiveness by moving his hand. I braced myself for the worst, but it was still very hard to see my friend with tubes all over the place, immobile and covered in black and blue.

Next, we needed to find out what happened. We visited the scene and it is obvious that there’s no liability question here; by all accounts, the driver drove up on the cyclists from behind, started to pass and then veered right into them. But why? News reports seemed to indicate a limited sight distance. Did she start to pass without enough sight distance and then come face to face with an oncoming car? Did something distract her? Why did she simply not just stop? And then why did she not stop immediately upon impact?

We’ve investigated the scene, had multiple conversations with police and the DA’s office and are starting to find witnesses. Many questions are still unanswered but some pieces are starting to come together.

Most importantly, we’re hoping for the best for Mike.

We also hope that justice is done. If there’s ever a case of criminal negligence — seeing a group of individuals, having several choices about how to act and then making the one that is sure to cause life altering injuries — this crash is it.

Please know that we will do everything we can to pursue justice for Mike and the other injured cyclists.

Photo of Mike riding in Europe by Mark Thomas.

I posted several links in Mr. Beanz thread "Did you ride, today?" That was so it would be seen. I just heard of this accident, yesterday, when my randonneur friends told me about it. JHuskey go ahead and move that post and put it here, instead.

I didn't know any of these cyclists, but they are all the hard charging randonneurs. This guy, Mike Dayton had done PBP four times. My friends said he had been in a coma, and when he regained consciousness, he was in a wheel chair. This lady needs to go to prison for the rest of her life, but if it's like how our local judges treat drunken drivers, she'll be right back on the road.

All a driver charged with a DUI has to do is bring his kid in and cry about how he or she is the sole support for this child and must be able to drive to get to work and buy groceries, so instead of putting the dirt bag in jail like the law says, the judge will give them a restriction on their license to drive only to work and to the store, thus still leaving the perp on the road to do more damage. These are the perps, who get into more accidents and then run from the scene.