Is road cycling dangerous?

"Boy, that sure was a tight little bundle of stereotype and misogyny."

Like...whateeeever!

So...like...do you like Pink?!?! Isn't my new car like so totally awesome?! I've got to get that little dent fixed before the party though!

"She hit me hard, really hard. I am lucky to be alive.

"But I managed to get out of the hedge and stand up. The car was nowhere to be seen. She hit me, and she was gone. All I know is that it was a blonde girl driving."

C'mon over to Ohio bro. I'll line up the dumbass kids by the hundreds for you to ride next to.

Please accept my apology, Bob. I didn't know you were relating a personal experience.

Originally Posted by alienator .

No, there is a "common sense" when it comes to cycling. It's common sense that you ride with traffic. It's common sense that you ride predictably. It's common sense that you don' t ride on the roads at night without a light. Those are just three examples.
I'm not entirely sure of this, but I think all of those are required by the traffic laws in my state.

No, there is a "common sense" when it comes to cycling. It's common sense that you ride with traffic. It's common sense that you ride predictably. It's common sense that you don' t ride on the roads at night without a light. Those are just three examples.
I meant common sense after you ensure your obedience to the laws governing bicycle use. Here's a link to excerpts of the cycling laws in New York State: http://www.nybc.net/online-resources/nybikelaws

People walk against traffic. As a result you often see kids riding against traffic.

Accidents are often caused by people who expect preditability. Equipment failure, physical issues, inexperience all lead to unpredictability.

Bicycles do not come with lights. As a result you often see people riding at night without lights.

It is best to take life as it comes. Rather than demanding that it match your expectations.

An old Guy said:
People walk against traffic. As a result you often see kids riding against traffic. Accidents are often caused by people who expect preditability. Equipment failure, physical issues, inexperience all lead to unpredictability. Bicycles do not come with lights. As a result you often see people riding at night without lights. It is best to take life as it comes. Rather than demanding that it match your expectations.
Yes, people certainly do things in a way they shouldn't; however, apathy such as yours only guarantees that do things the wrong way continues. The smart thing is to teach people the correct way to do things, and in the case of this forum, what good common sense is in cycling. No one has demanded anything. No, that's something you've made up to fit your world. Those are words your putting in other people's mouths. People pointing out how things should be done is not a demand but instead it's instruction. It's people in a community helping others in the community. Note that it is understandable that you are not interested in helping members of the community learn the right way to ride on the roads or in helping them ride safely.

Now that we have bike paths, citi-bikes and everyone is so dang bike happy in NYC, I feel less safe actually. There seems to be more chance for more people who really shouldn't be on a bike in the middle of traffic riding and these bike lanes are terrible here. Peds are all over them and drivers are ****** off they lost a lane. I never use them.

The one thing I will say is that being a messenger during the early 90s gave me a sixth sense about how to handle traffic and if you play it smart and not unlucky enough to meet a DUI or a texting moron you will get it also. Kind of like driving a car, the longer you drive the better you get and the insurance goes down. Even though I feel that at age >65 people should have to re-take their test. I know my Dad should not be driving and many others who should not at their age.

-js

I like what you say and how you put it. It's a bit idealistic but good sound advice. My grandmother would say, "From your mouth to God's ears"! I try and be hyper aware when on my bike and think it adds to some of my fatigue actually. If only others could be encouraged by setting good example. Any time that common sense is put into law people are referring to it a nanny state and calling the lawmakers fascists; it happened here last winter when the governor closed the roads for 24 hours during a blizzard. Oh well.

I believe attitude makes a huge difference. I am respectful of the rules of the road and for the drivers of vehicles. Because I am, in my experience most drivers will respect a good bicyclist that obviously knows how to follow the rules of the road. As in all life, there are exceptions. Its not that the exceptions hate cyclists per se; there are those who can't stand being behind anyone and want to ride at their choice of speed, no matter what.

Well, last Friday I was riding at about 45 KPH downhill on a moderately busy suburban road in Castle Hill with single lanes each way when an idiot who was parked on the kerb on the left pulled out sharply from a parked position when I was about 2 car lengths from him.

I only had time to brake a little and moved right to allow him a bit more room - but expected him to accelerate away from me.

However he then "propped" with me just about on top and alongside him and put his right indicator on to do a U-turn.

I was stuck- doing 40 or so and nowhere to go.

There was at this moment a car coming up the hill- which stopped my "friend'" from U-turning.

As I said there was no room to brake and I made a quick judgement call and went between the idiot about to turn and the on-coming car. Fortunately the on-coming car saw what was about to unfold and swerved to give me room- but I could easily have been cleaned up by either.

Another time I was tootling along Old Pitt Town Road at about 30 KPH near Maralya minding my own business on a "country" road- no-one in front or behind when a car coming the opposite direction decided to overtake another travelling that way.

I did not even see this fool until he passed within about 100mm of me at approximately 100 kph. Had I been over towards the centre a bit more, or swerved to miss one of the numerous potholes......

I can't count the number of trucks who have over-taken and then swerved back forcing me into the gutter....

Or the number of people who just pull out on you and give a wry smile or little wave which apparently makes it all OK that you have had to "lock-up to avoid their stupidities.

Or those who overtake 50 metres from an up-coming intersection and chop back on you to turn left in front of you when you are doing 25-30 KPH and going straight ahead....

So, yeah riding on the road can be dangerous and if I had any sense I wouldn't do it.

"So, yeah riding on the road can be dangerous and if I had any sense I wouldn't do it."

Truth.

Originally Posted by pada .

So, yeah riding on the road can be dangerous and if I had any sense I wouldn't do it.
My sense tells me life with a bike is very possibly safer than a life without and its associated perils. Straight edgers won't get it.

danfoz said:
My sense tells me life with a bike is very possibly safer than a life without and its associated perils. Straight edgers won't get it.
+1.

"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]My sense tells me life with a bike is very possibly safer than a life without and [/COLOR]its[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] associated perils. Straight edgers won't get it."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I admit I had to Google "straight edgers".[/COLOR]

1. straight edger are on twitterhare on facebook Share on more

Somnebody who follows the straight edge philosophy. That is, a person who respects their body
*by not consuming alcohol
*by not consuming other drugs
* by not having casual sex.

That's what make road cycling feel safe? Cycling keeping some folks from a life of booze, drugs and sex?

What? We can't cycle AND be drugaholics at the orgy?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

What? We can't cycle AND be drugaholics at the orgy?
Sure we can, I am currently a Cat4 racer and a Cat3 boozer. Without the bike I'd probably be a professional boozer. YMMV.

"Sure we can, I am currently a Cat4 racer and a Cat3 boozer."

Hmmmm? Join forces and organize a new team...or go to rehab? Decisions...decisions...

Straight edgers. Got to remember that one. After living thru the '70's no one can accuse me.

I do not understand why cyclist sometimes put themselves into obviously dangerous situations for no reason other than they can or I have the "right of way". I understand when racing but training and commuting. For me there is Fort Lee Road with 9% downhill and 3 lights placed on the way down the hill. When I start to see signs, trucks 4 tons or more not allowed to take road and signs telling me that light up coming, start to brake, I approach it with care and let the other guys go by to see if they can make that light or the driver during rush hour decides to try and beat the light to and you meet in the middle.

Right of way means nothing when you are up against a car. Just be smart...

-john

I can not count the number of times truck passed me by close and with each time I get sucked in by the wind and than sucked out for some reason that makes the bike feel like it is going to be forced in the curb.

From the timpos I started cycling, first with 4 wheels after 3 and end with 2, it's all an evolution. Protect yourself in order to move forward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by dominikk85 .

sure it is risky. a lot of professional riders have been killed in training (actually not a lot if you consider all rider but still a significant number). even if you do follow the rules there is always a danger since there are a lot of idiot drivers out there who drive while being tired, angry or even drunk.

but there are a lot of things you can do to minimize risks:

-make sure your equipment is in shape (no cracks in fork or frame, good brakes, good tires)
-don't be aggressive and don't make bold "moves"
-do not use high frequented or high tempo roads
-make sure you have lighting and reflectors in the dark or better avoid riding in the dark (which is difficult in the winter when you do your training after work)
-slow down on sharp or unknown curves or in the rain

but still there is a risk but getting fat in front of TV is risky too:D
Sure it is risky too,,But the risk can be reduced, as dominikk85 said..Well prepared, there not necessary to worry about it.