Is road cycling dangerous?

I've been following this thread from inception and I just want to announce that I am now thoroughly terrified about road cycling, not so much so, however, that I will stop riding. My fear will make me more aware as a cyclist. As Dr. Johnson said, "Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

I'm not the one who commented about the minimal effects of fentanyl. You'll note that I actually said given everything that was unknown, there was no way to know what the drug's effect was. Note that it's unlikely that you can back away from your comments any more quickly.

It is certain that no one should be driving with a fentanyl patch in place.

Perhaps you could review your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienator .

As it happens, fentanyl is also used as an anesthetic. It is entirely possible that fentanyl impacted, possibly severely, the driver's mentation.

The first statement is simply wrong.Fentanyl functions as ananesthetic only when used in combination with another specific drug.

The second statement seems to be more speculation than my comment about the effect o fthe drug on me.

Perhaps you could be as accurate as you seem to want me to be.

"My fear will make me more aware as a cyclist."

Knowing the truth...

"Just to add to it, I came close myself a week ago Saturday when I was T-boned by a distracted driver who didn't look right while he decided to proceed through a stop sign. He was watching something to the left of the intersection. I have a lingering shoulder injury, with the possibility of ligament damage, but I was lucky enough to get up and walk away from it. He missed my left leg by no more than 4"--struck the bike in the rear triangle. An Olympic gymnast would have killed to be able to pull off what the witnesses (good to have witnesses) told me I did in mid-air.

Unfortunately, the almost brand new Madone wasn't as lucky as I was.What's left of my frame is in pieces in my basement, awaiting his insurance company's pleasure.

By the way: I have nothing but good things to say about Lazer helmets. It took quite a whack from the pavement but protected my head."

If you were not already a member in good standing...Welcome to the Club.

You are entitled to wear The Broken Wings, if you were not qualified to do so before the crash. I'm glad you are (mostly) OK! You know what they say...any crash you can walk or crawl away from is a good one! Heal up and I wish you a fast and total recovery. Screw the Madone. It can be replaced and hopefully the driver's insurance company does so. BTW, might I suggest a Project One with Campy Super Record EPS?!?! You'll look totally badass and fast on it!

I wish we had video to compare! The judge from Vulgaria awarded me a 9.5 for my flight over the trunk lid of a white Buick 4-door many years ago. One of my several 'NOT leading a charmed life' experiences.

As a motorcyclist and bicyclist I was always taught to make eye contact and watch the wheels. But, the old gunfighter's mantra only goes so far.

IRL, I've locked eyes with dipshits that pulled right out in front of me, turned left in front of me, passed me and turn right immediately in front of me or along side of me and absolutely spun their tires to get backed out in front of me.

They (mostly) know we're there. Wrapped in 2 tons of steel their Give-A-**** meter never leaves the peg. Add drugs, booze, cell phones and all the other **** into the mix and it sure is a jungle out there.

Closest call of the season was a couple of weeks ago. A douche bag in a pickup passed a car coming head-on at me at 60+ MPH. Like the group on the bridge there was no where to go if I wanted to. Inches. Mere inches.

Nope. No real danger out here at all. Move along now!

Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
"Just to add to it, I came close myself a week ago Saturday when I was T-boned by a distracted driver who didn't look right while he decided to proceed through a stop sign. He was watching something to the left of the intersection. I have a lingering shoulder injury, with the possibility of ligament damage, but I was lucky enough to get up and walk away from it. He missed my left leg by no more than 4"--struck the bike in the rear triangle. An Olympic gymnast would have killed to be able to pull off what the witnesses (good to have witnesses) told me I did in mid-air.

Unfortunately, the almost brand new Madone wasn't as lucky as I was.What's left of my frame is in pieces in my basement, awaiting his insurance company's pleasure.

By the way: I have nothing but good things to say about Lazer helmets. It took quite a whack from the pavement but protected my head."

If you were not already a member in good standing...Welcome to the Club.

You are entitled to wear The Broken Wings, if you were not qualified to do so before the crash. I'm glad you are (mostly) OK! You know what they say...any crash you can walk or crawl away from is a good one! Heal up and I wish you a fast and total recovery. Screw the Madone. It can be replaced and hopefully the driver's insurance company does so. BTW, might I suggest a Project One with Campy Super Record EPS?!?! You'll look totally badass and fast on it!

I wish we had video to compare! The judge from Vulgaria awarded me a 9.5 for my flight over the trunk lid of a white Buick 4-door many years ago. One of my several 'NOT leading a charmed life' experiences.

I probably would have lost points from the East German judge for not sticking the landing.
big-smile.png

mpre53 said:
I probably would have lost points from the East German judge for not sticking the landing. :big-smile:
If you got up after the landing, that means you stuck the landing.

"I probably would have lost points from the East German judge for not sticking the landing."

No worries. Style points are awarded for carbon tubes and/or rims being in multiple pieces!

For your leathers:

Then there are those who give cyclist a bad name because of their poor judgement. For instance this person decided it might be safer taking the train rather than their bike:

British Transport Police have released footage of the scary moment when a cyclist ignored the barriers at a rail crossing and narrowly missed being hit by a train. It happened September 12 at the Waterbeach level crossing in Cambridgeshire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44945kT9YM0

good point: I see too many cyclists who ride double file in heavy traffic areas, insist on wearing drab non-reflective clothing, ride against traffic, frequent roads without shoulders, listen to music, and worst of all riding at night without lights! perhaps the stupidest thing a rider can do. There is no doubt road riding is dangerous under any circumstances, but I wish we could see statistics on how many injured riders were doing something very wrong when they were injured or killed. I'm guessing the numbers would be sobering.

Stay safe, be careful, ride in a state of acute awareness at all times.

"British Transport Police have released footage of the scary moment when a cyclist ignored the barriers at a rail crossing and narrowly missed being hit by a train. It happened September 12 at the Waterbeach level crossing in Cambridgeshire."

Chuck Darwin scowls at the failure...

Quote: Originally Posted by jaygeephoto .
Then there are those who give cyclist a bad name because of their poor judgement. For instance this person decided it might be safer taking the train rather than their bike:

British Transport Police have released footage of the scary moment when a cyclist ignored the barriers at a rail crossing and narrowly missed being hit by a train. It happened September 12 at the Waterbeach level crossing in Cambridgeshire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44945kT9YM0

I saw that. Best part was her wiping her brow after the train sped by. Pretty sure she walked the bike over to the side, instead of riding it, because she had a load of **** in her bloomers, too.

I know that electric trains can kinda sneak up on ya, but I would imagine that it's really, really hard to miss the down gates, flashing red lights and bells, not to mention that Brit trains probably sound their whistles/horns when they're coming to a crossing.

Sir Winnie must be looking down and shaking his head at what's become of his "Em-Paaah"

no..If you obey the traffic rules。。。Do some protection。。

I think it's safety...

Cyclist Mindy Manyo, hurt in hit-skip, speaks out: Regina Brett
By Regina Brett, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer
on October 09, 2013 at 6:00 AM, updated October 09, 2013 at 8:19 AM

http://www.cleveland.com/brett/blog/index.ssf/2013/10/cylist_mindy_mayno_injured_in.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Anyone who knows Mindy -- and that's nearly everyone in Cleveland Heights -- has probably heard the Mindy Prayer.
"God, place someone in my path that I can help or who can help me. I leave it up to You."

Someone just made Mindy's path a whole lot rougher. She wonders who that someone is. So do the police.

Mindy Manyo was riding her bike home on Thursday night after a day of mowing, weeding and watering at her landscaping job in Chagrin Falls. She was headed west and hugging the curb lane on Fairmount Boulevard around 9 p.m. when a car struck her from behind. The driver dragged her, stopped, then fled.
Who leaves a mangled person behind?
13546869-large.jpg
Mindy Manyo, recovering from her injuries at MetroHealth Medical Center, prays with United Church of Christ-commissioned minister Robb Forward for the driver who hit her to come forward so she can forgive him.Regina Brett
Police have described the car as a dark Buick Lacrosse 4-door sedan from 2005-09. The right front bumper area is damaged and the turn signal is broken. Anyone with information should call Cleveland Heights police at 216-321-1234 or 216-291-5010.

Mindy is lucky to be alive. Her left wrist is shattered and will need surgery. Her left leg is broken, along with three ribs, a vertebrae and several teeth. She had a brain bleed that left her with temporary double vision in one eye. Her body is covered in road rash that is so bad she will need skin grafts.

As always, Mindy leads with gratitude. She's grateful she has no memory of the accident. Grateful her helmet protected her. Grateful the accident happened in front of a doctor's home. He told the paramedics to take Mindy to the trauma center at MetroHealth, the hospital where he works.

She's grateful for all the calls and cards from people she never realized she touched so deeply. Mindy waters the outdoor plant boxes in front of the stores in the Cedar Fairmount shopping area. "It's becoming a very small world very quickly," she said.

Mindy, who is 56, is five foot nothing, all muscle and has short dirty blonde spiky hair and an eternal tan from walking or cycling everywhere. She's is a seasoned cyclist. This is the fifth time she's been hit by a car.

Her motto is: Share the Road. She wishes everyone would adopt it.

Without looking, Mindy can tell if the vehicle next to her is a car, an SUV, a UPS truck or a school bus. She wants drivers to realize they have the entire road. "I have this little area full of debris and dead animals," she said.

The night of the accident she was wearing her bright yellow fluorescent vest, a headlight on her helmet, a tail light on her bike and reflectors on her shoes. The last thing she remembers is feeling grateful that it wasn't raining and that hardly any cars were on the road. She said a little thank you prayer, "God, this has been such a nice ride."
The phone on her hospital bed rings. "I kind of got run over a little bit," she tells the caller.

Mindy will be out of work for months. Her friends are planning a fundraiser. She agreed to it only if they called it Share the Road. (Anyone interested in helping Mindy can email [email protected])

Her friend Robb Forward, a commissioned minister with the United Church of Christ, stopped by to visit while I was at her bedside. They prayed for the person who hit her, prayed that the driver comes forward so he can forgive himself and that she can forgive him, too.

What would Mindy say to the person who hit her if that driver stepped forward? She sighed deeply, then leaned her head back on the hospital pillow and closed her eyes.

"Both our lives changed in an instant," she said softly. "God took care of me, took care of my side of the deal that night. I have no anger. I would thank him for having the courage to show up."
But she'd give the driver a lecture. "Do you pay attention when you're driving? Will this have an impact on you? Will you put down all the distractions?"

For now, she's practicing a new Mindy prayer: "May the person who hit me come forward so I can forgive him."

Even though the road ahead is going to be a long one, she insists it will be a blessed one.

"This is my new adventure for a while," she said.

"Fifth time hit by a car" - Man, I think I'd take the bus! that woman is either doing something very wrong or has some seriously bad karma.

We've had three hit and runs in Boise in the last three months, two pedestrians and one cyclist. Doesn't seem like people think about anyone other than themselves anymore. The only one they caught had multiple driving suspensions etc....figures.

dalerb said:
"Fifth time hit by a car" - Man, I think I'd take the bus! that woman is either doing something very wrong or has some seriously bad karma. We've had three hit and runs in Boise in the last three months, two pedestrians and one cyclist. Doesn't seem like people think about anyone other than themselves anymore. The only one they caught had multiple driving suspensions etc....figures.  
I've been hit 3 times on a bicycle and once on a motorcycle. Not paying attention has long been a problem for drivers, and it's certainly not getting better with all of the distractions that have been added to the driving experience (cell calls, texting, GPS devices...) and the increasing population/population density.

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

I've been hit 3 times on a bicycle and once on a motorcycle. Not paying attention has long been a problem for drivers, and it's certainly not getting better with all of the distractions that have been added to the driving experience (cell calls, texting, GPS devices...) and increasing population/population density.

intending to add, "true that", however, a more positive development has "average driver miles" and "total miles driven" down for the first time in decades (pray for higher gas prices)

To expand on the point I was trying to make earlier regarding safety: I went out for about an hour earlier today running errands, about a 15 mile trip. I saw two bikers violating multiple common sense safety rules. The first, was riding on one of the busiest high speed commercial streets in Boise (no bike lanes), without a helmet. I wouldn't ride that street for any reason, helmet on no! The second (also no helmet) was riding against traffic on another main feeder road. If I was paying closer attention I probably would have seen more.

The cyclist who was hit-and-run here recently, was struck just before 2 a.m. (Gee, who's on the roads at THAT hour!?) Newspapers don't tell you if a cyclist was doing something we all know is stupid when he was jammed up, probably they usually don't know. It's just another casualty for them.

Of course, where you ride, when, how much, etc. all factor into your chances, but I have a very hard time believing anyone who has been struck 5 times was following common sense rules covering the aforementioned, it just defies the odds. It can happen....but I'm skeptical. Of course, I think riding "two up" on streets is a safety violation, and I had a cyclist I mentioned that too become irate that such a suggestion was a violation of his rights to the road. OK, your rights, your life.