Is road cycling dangerous?

Riding two abreast is legal in many states in the US. In some states, a cyclist is entitled to use the whole lane. Even states that require a cyclist to ride "as far to the right as practicable", the key word there is practicable. I ride on a lot of rural roads that have crumbling shoulders, some of which are crowned for better drainage. On those roads I have to ride close to the center line. Longitudinal ruts wider than 3/4" can have a 23 mm road tire wedge in them, and cause a rider to endo over the bars. A woman in my area was killed over Memorial Day weekend while riding across a steel grate bridge that was faultily repaired---the contractor left inch wide gaps between the sections of plates. Her front wheel wedged so tightly in the crack that they had to pop the quick release and leave the wheel stuck there, to remove her bike. Make no mistake, I'm not an advocate of "taking the lane", or riding two abreast, just because the law says you can, or to deliberately obstruct cars. But taking the lane is often necessary to ride safely.

Also, as I recently had the misfortune to learn, you can be doing everything right, riding as far to the right as practicable, on a quiet little street in a quiet little affluent waterfront section of a cycling friendly town, and still have the misfortune of having an inattentive driver who is distracted by watching something to his left instead of checking for traffic approaching on his right, with the right of way, blow through a stop sign.

dalerb said:
The cyclist who was hit-and-run here recently, was struck just before 2 a.m. (Gee, who's on the roads at THAT hour!?) Newspapers don't tell you if a cyclist was doing something we all know is stupid when he was jammed up, probably they usually don't know. It's just another casualty  for them.   Of course, where you ride, when, how much, etc. all factor into your chances, but I have a very hard time believing anyone who has been struck 5 times was following common sense rules covering the aforementioned, it just defies the odds. It can happen....but I'm skeptical. Of course, I think riding "two up" on streets is a safety violation, and I had a cyclist I mentioned that too become irate that such a suggestion was a violation of his rights to the road. OK, your rights, your life. 
You'd be surprised by what people ride their bikes late at night, and most of them aren't doing or haven't been doing what you think. Students, people going to work or going home from work, people riding because they like riding at night..... Riding at night could be very well different than you think. I spent years doing it: leaving well before sunrise to get to school; riding home after midnight from the lab; riding to or from work.... I quite enjoy riding at night. There are, logically, a lot fewer cars on the road at night Go to any university in a big city and you'll likely find people on bikes at all hours of the day and night. As for the lady who was hit 5 times by cars, there's nothing that can be assumed other than she's had the misfortune to be hit five times. You have no idea what precautions she takes (although from the story it sounds as if she took a lot of precautions before the last time she was hit). You don't know how many miles she pedals or how many years she's been riding.

"but I have a very hard time believing anyone who has been struck 5 times was following common sense rules covering the aforementioned, it just defies the odds. It can happen....but I'm skeptical."
HARD contact with cars at least three times plus the time I got 'parked' by a car pulling into a parking space and taking me with her. I ended up hugging a parking meter with both wheels wedged against the curb...and didn't go down. Let's call it '4'.
Can we start adding up totaled bikes from crashing over loose mutts? I just might win that one.
If we throw in racing and training crashes and start comparing scar tissue...well, I got enough I qualified to race in the Para-Olympics.
In my 60 years on this planet, I've done more than my share of risky stunts. Nothing compares with the day to day exposure to danger that road cycling has presented me.
ETA: So far...SO FAR!...no one has popped me on any of my motorcycles, but there have been so many close calls... Ride like they are ALL out to kill you. Because they are. ETA 2: I just remembered...yesterday some Amish farmer's muttly bolted from behind the corn crib next to the edge of the road and I had exactly 2 bike lengths to lock it up, kick it sideways and scream bloody murder. Fortunately I have vast experience with dog crashing and managed to just clear the also locked up all four paws mutt. More to the point of luck, I was on a slight upgrade into the wind was fortunate to only be doing maybe 16-18 MPH. Flat-spotted a half shot Pro4, for sure. Damnit! Oh well, at least the rubber side stayed down.

Out training, I pulled up to a 2-way stop sign this afternoon...no cross traffic. An oncoming car slowed to a stop on the other side of the intersection.

As I eyeballed the male driver and started to proceed thru the intersection I noticed the driver's head was angled down.

Firmly focused on the glow of his cell phone screen.

I wonder what the real percentage of distracted drivers is?

Reactions: tankajava
Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
Out training, I pulled up to a 2-way stop sign this afternoon...no cross traffic. An oncoming car slowed to a stop on the other side of the intersection.

As I eyeballed the male driver and started to proceed thru the intersection I noticed the driver's head was angled down.

Firmly focused on the glow of his cell phone screen.

I wonder what the real percentage of distracted drivers is?

Based on a daily 31 mile each way commute? I'd say 1 in 4 has a cell phone glued to their ear.

Talk to me about summer tourists on Cape Cod. They come from every state in the US and every province in Canada---I know this because I've logged license plates for years. I see at least one car with Hawaii plates every year. The older geezers still use maps and read them while driving. Or read tourist guides. Others are fiddling with their GPS trying to figure out why they're lost. Turns? From the left lane on a 4 lane across anything and everything in the right lane to go into a souvenir shop or a seafood joint. Pedestrians who think that cars are part of the decorations along Main Street, and step off sidewalks into traffic without looking. I don't ride in my own home base from mid-June until mid-September. I drive 30 miles inland to some quieter roads with no tourists.

Another local rider killed by a semi-truck.

I have ridden Mudbrook and Lutz roads a thousand times. There are several rides organized by the local cycling club that utilize those roads. It's a popular cycling route North to Nimisila Reservoir from the North Canton area.

I'll see if I can find out the name of the rider. He may be a member of one of the local cycling clubs.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/man-on-bike-killed-in-collision-in-jackson-township-1.435482

Man on bike killed in collision in Jackson Township
Beacon Journal staff report

Published: October 9, 2013 - 05:42 PM | Updated: October 9, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Man on bike killed in collision in Jackson Township October 09,2013 10:25 PM GMT Beacon Journal Publishing Co. Copyright � 2013 Beacon Journal Publishing Co. Inc and Black Press. All Rights Reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of any of the contents of this service without the express written consent of the Akron Beacon Journal is expressly prohibited.
A
A truck struck and killed a man riding a bicycle Wednesday, Jackson Township police said.

The identify of the man, 60, has not been released, pending notification of family.

Police say the crash happened about 8:40 a.m., when a commercial semi-tractor hit the man while he was riding near the intersection of Mudbrook Street Northwest and Lutz Avenue.
The bicyclist was taken to Affinity Hospital in Massillon and later flown by medical helicopter to Akron General Medical Center. He was pronounced dead at 10:40 a.m.
Jackson police and the State Highway Patrol are investigating the crash.

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

You'd be surprised by what people ride their bikes late at night, and most of them aren't doing or haven't been doing what you think.
I was actually referring to the drivers on the road at that time of night, not the cyclists. My informal poll of accidents seems to find a disproportionate number happening around closing hour. Regarding the woman hit 5 times, I stand by my statements.

Quote: Originally Posted by mpre53 .
Riding two abreast is legal in many states in the US. In some states, a cyclist is entitled to use the whole lane.

Not arguing legality, but common sense. In some cases, (group rides for example) two abreast is often necessary and the group does provide some additional visibility to balance the risk factor. I was probably being too unilateral, it's really a more situational call. Personally, I try to avoid riding two abreast generally. I will say I see too many bikers doing it in risky situations. I think the old saying is true "common sense just isn't very common".

Lots of careful cyclists get hurt by careless motorists, and lots of careless cyclists get away with it. Life has a 100 percent mortality factor, that much I'm sure about. As a long time "meals on wheels" volunteer, I see a lot of old people, I worry more about living too long, than not living long enough.

Man on bike killed in collision in Jackson Township
update:

The cyclist's name was released. RIP Joseph Mahon.

Joseph was travelling West on Mudbrook and the dump truck that killed him was headed East. The truck made a left turn, North onto Lutz, and struck the bicycle in the intersection. The accident is under investigation.

In the last year I've had a driver passing cars in the right-hand break down lane narrowly missing me - so much for my aneurism inducing blinking tail light and day-glow yellow jersey! I had a pedestrian walk into my bicycle while I was stopped at a light. But the best was the person who tripped over my parked car in a lot and shot me a dirty look. All were on their cell phones at the time.

dalerb said:
I was actually referring to the drivers on the road at that time of night, not the cyclists. My informal poll of accidents seems to find a disproportionate number happening around closing hour. Regarding the woman hit 5 times, I stand by my statements.  Not arguing legality, but common sense. In some cases, (group rides for example) two abreast is often necessary and the group does provide some additional visibility to balance the risk factor. I was probably being too unilateral, it's really a more situational call. Personally, I try to avoid riding two abreast generally. I will say I see too many bikers doing it in risky situations. I think the old saying is true "common sense just isn't very common".  Lots of careful cyclists get hurt by careless motorists, and lots of careless cyclists get away with it. Life has a 100 percent mortality factor, that much I'm sure about. As a long time "meals on wheels" volunteer, I see a lot of old people, I worry more about living too long, than not living long enough.  
Lost my Mom to dementia two weeks ago so I can relate to your thoughts.

Very sorry to hear that. I watched my grandmother die slowly over the course of 2 years, from what we now know as Alzheimer's. It's horrible.

My experience working with the elderly has shown me the end of life is seldom dignified, even without debilitating disease. It's a lot scarier than cycling, so hit the road! Well, maybe not "hit".

Quote: Originally Posted by mpre53 .
Riding two abreast is legal in many states in the US. In some states, a cyclist is entitled to use the whole lane. Even states that require a cyclist to ride "as far to the right as practicable", the key word there is practicable. I ride on a lot of rural roads that have crumbling shoulders, some of which are crowned for better drainage. On those roads I have to ride close to the center line. But taking the lane is often necessary to ride safely.

Also, as I recently had the misfortune to learn, you can be doing everything right, riding as far to the right as practicable, on a quiet little street in a quiet little affluent waterfront section of a cycling friendly town, and still have the misfortune of having an inattentive driver who is distracted by watching something to his left instead of checking for traffic approaching on his right, with the right of way, blow through a stop sign.

The only way to ride is to do what is necessary to ride safely.

I try to do as much kindness to drivers as I can. They seem to appreciate it.

Quote: Originally Posted by An old Guy .

The only way to ride is to do what is necessary to ride safely.

I try to do as much kindness to drivers as I can. They seem to appreciate it.

I agree. There's no point in going out of one's way to antagonize drivers.

Even back in 1897, riders of the Columbia pneumatic knew how to get respect from horseless carriages! Browning's Model of 1895.."The Potato Digger"!

I have a friend...a lifelong training buddy. The guy can be an absolute *****, asshole, sunnovabitch and often goes Full Retard. Sort of like alien, only this guy actually does have a pleasant personality some of the time.

In traffic, I've seen him chase down and beat on cars and drivers. Kick vehicles. Hurl his water bottles and bounce them off vehicles. Beat fenders and shatter frame pumps...in the old days when bikes actually had frame pumps. Stop and pick up rocks and heave them. Scream, curse and call the cops.

He has it no better or worse on the road than the meek. Who shall not inherit much of anything.

Meh. I lived thru one more beautiful weekend. Live is good.

I did witness more road stupidity on Saturday. Some jackass kid was racing his Jeep Cherokee in the oncoming lane. Doing maybe 60 MPH on a quiet, narrow county back road. His nimrod buddy, behind him in a diesel dually about a car length back, was lining up for a fast pass.

On a bend in the road. Where it narrowed even more due to a barn built up against the berm. I heard the turbo spool up and the stacks rolling coal as the pickup truck went over the non-existent center line and head right towards me.

Pickup boy saw me about 100 yards out and closing fast. He hit the binders and ducked back in behind his **** eating grin bud. Both flashed past still hard on the gas and pickup dude went for the pass again as soon he cleared me.

Up a rise that he could not possibly see over or know if oncoming traffic was headed his way. Yeesh!

Another local rider hit and fighting for his life:

Elderly bicyclist in critical condition Saturday after hit, skip accident on Cleveland's west side

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_cuyahoga/elderly-bicyclist-in-critical-condition-saturday-after-hit-skip-accident-on-clevelands-west-side#ixzz2hh79u1TW

CLEVELAND - An elderly man is fighting for his life after he was struck by a vehicle Saturday morning while riding his bicycle on Cleveland’s west side.

The hit/skip accident happened around 10:30 a.m. Saturday on the I-71 southbound entrance ramp from Denison Avenue, according to Cleveland police.

Officers arrived to find 76-year-old Charles C. Crays seriously injured.

Crays was transported by ambulance to MetroHealth Medical Center where he is currently listed in critical condition, said a hospital official.
Police said their preliminary investigation revealed that Crays was riding his bike on the right shoulder of the Denison Avenue entrance ramp, when a car swerved and struck him.

The 76-year-old was ejected from the bike onto the roadway. The driver of the car never stopped, but fled the scene.

Police believe the car connected to this case is a clean dark blue 4-door Chevrolet Cavalier, late model (late 1980’s to early 1990’s) with tinted windows. There is probable damage to the front left side and windshield.

Anyone with information on this on this accident is asked to call the Cleveland Police Accident Investigation Unit at 216-623-5295 or Crime Stoppers at 216-252-7463. Information can also be texted to Crimes (274637). Tipsters can remain anonymous.

And yet another cyclist fighting for his life...

Bicyclist Seriously Injured in Crash Posted on: 11:14 pm, October 13, 2013, by Monica Volante

SANDUSKY, OH — The Ohio State Highway Patrol is investigating a serious crash involving a car and a bicyclist Sunday evening.

Officials say the accident happened around 5:15 p.m. on Hancock Street near Madison Street when a Pontiac G6 Sedan collided with a person on a bicycle.

The 39-year-old cyclist suffered life-threatening injuries and was transported by LifeFlight to St. Vincent’s Hospital.

The 24-year-old driver did not suffer any injuries.

The crash is still under investigation. Authorities do not believe alcohol was a factor.

http://fox8.com/2013/10/13/bicyclist-seriously-injured-in-crash/