Is road cycling dangerous?

Yep, bad stuff happening all around but I try to keep positive. I rode Saturday but chose to stay out of the rain yesterday and rode to the top of the Smokies on the trainer. I did not ride back down since the trainer is not as much fun as actually decending New Found Gap Rd.
Try and derive as much pleasure of of the season as possible and Merry Christmas.

Tis the season to avoid being on the roads, with so many drivers infused with copious amounts of Christmas cheer. Oh, and next week, we have the ultimate amateur night to contend with, and then horribly hung over ones the next day.

I'll be back out there on the 2nd, I think. With my head on a swivel. Anticipating the worst from everything with a motor that I can see. They won't keep me from doing what I like, but I learned to ride defensively the hard way. I have a barometer now in my shoulder that's going to tell me when it's gonna rain, for the rest of my days.

Quote from mpre53:
"Tis the season to avoid being on the roads..."

I did 30 miles yesterday
crying.png

I hear you though. I have a road trip, starting Friday, that has me dreading the drugaholics already.

"Oh, and next week, we have the ultimate amateur night to contend with..."

I keep hearing Dirty Harry, "...well, do ya, punk?" I plan on being off the roads EARLY! I never feel lucky on the day before New Year's Eve. They start way too early.

Quote from jhuskey:
"I rode Saturday but chose to stay out of the rain yesterday and rode to the top of the Smokies on the trainer."

Let me get this straight...you have a $15,000 cyber-bike that can take you to rides all over the planet and you load your own back yard into it?!?!
confused.png
I kid! I dream of pissing off motor home drivers on the BRP!

Er...'who' named New Found Gap Road, anyway?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Quote from mpre53:
"Tis the season to avoid being on the roads..."

I did 30 miles yesterday
crying.png

I hear you though. I have a road trip, starting Friday, that has me dreading the drugaholics already.

"Oh, and next week, we have the ultimate amateur night to contend with..."

I keep hearing Dirty Harry, "...well, do ya, punk?" I plan on being off the roads EARLY! I never feel lucky on the day before New Year's Eve. They start way too early.

Quote from jhuskey:
"I rode Saturday but chose to stay out of the rain yesterday and rode to the top of the Smokies on the trainer."

Let me get this straight...you have a $15,000 cyber-bike that can take you to rides all over the planet and you load your own back yard into it?!?!
confused.png
I kid! I dream of pissing off motor home drivers on the BRP!

Er...'who' named New Found Gap Road, anyway?
Not quite 15000.00. I am not sure who named it and to be honest never thought about it. I like this route because I do ride it sometimes. It's a great category 1 climb 15 miles all up hill..

Excellent climb! I have to drive for hours in WVa. to find anything close to that kind of climbing. 11 miles this afternoon and I doubt I climbed 300'.

But, it was COLD, man! It was damned freakin' cold!

I believe the safety of road cycling is totally depends on the cyclist. Don't drive too long at one time especially when you a beginner. Tired and careless are the two biggest enemies.

Originally Posted by claystevens
Tired and careless are the two biggest enemies.
Barring careless drivers, we often make silly mistakes after we've flooded our bodies with lactate repeatedly. Same thing for me on the bike as it is on the slopes, more likely to make stoopid mistakes at the end of the day. Careless drivers are likely to make mistakes at any time of the day, malicious drivers seem to make "careless" mistakes at will. Fortunately I have only had one such encounter in all my years on the bike. Jackass drove right at me maintaining eye contact the whole time with a scowl on his face. Even with my drastic swerve he missed me by what seemed like less than an inch, I don't want to think about what would have happened had I not had my wits about me.

Careless cyclists are likely to make stupid mistakes any time of day, just like careless drivers.

• 1 hour ago December 29, 2013 10:43AM

A CYCLIST has died in Tasmania after a crash with a utility.

Police say the cyclist died in the collision on the West Tamar Highway in Launceston on Sunday morning.

No further details are known at this time.

It is the second road fatality in Tasmania during the holiday period and the 16th across the country.
The national road toll period runs from midnight December 23, 2013 until midnight January 3, 2014, local times, in line with the Australia New Zealand Policing Advisory Board.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/cyclist-killed-in-tasmania-road-smash/story-e6frfku9-1226791414755

Can anyone spot the wheels he was riding? That front rim looks to be in very good condition for being on a sheared off front end.
Daniel Moreno escapes serious injury after collision with car First Edition Cycling News, Monday, December 30, 2013

moreno_bcroxmbcyaa8f1f_220.jpg
Daniel Moreno posted this photo montage on Twitter regarding his run-in with a car while on a training ride.

view thumbnail gallery

Spaniard hit while out training, now recovering

Spanish cyclist Daniel Moreno was hit by a car on Saturday while out training in Argentina. The Katusha climber has reportedly not sustained any fractures but was taken to hospital as a precaution.

"Yesterday, 28th December in Argentina, Katusha rider Daniel Moreno was hit by a car while performing a training [ride] on his TT bike," read a statement from Moreno's team. "Immediately after the accident, Moreno went to the hospital for a full medical check up which did not reveal any fractures or major traumas. At the same time, the rider’s bike was completely destroyed.

"On medical recommendation, Daniel will take a two-day rest without any training."
Moreno is due to open his 2014 season at Argentina's Tour de San Luis next month.

Yahoo recently displayed an article on the possibility of registration requirements, including fees, for bicycles. Reading the comments section is an eye opener with regard to some folks negative attitudes toward cyclists. Much of it no doubt is purely for dramatic effect and trolling purposes, but it is nevertheless disheartening.

Much of the animosity seemed to stem from an observed disregard by cyclists for the rules of the road. While many of us who have encountered snafu's on the road have experienced them within the parameters of the law, we are all prone to momentary lapses of reason. Observing the rules of the road has two benefits: We are all ambassadors to the sport and, on occasion that disregard is the cause of the accident itself. Ride safe.

Reactions: Brian in VA
danfoz said:
Much of the animosity seemed to stem from an observed disregard by cyclists for the rules of the road. While many of us who have encountered snafu's on the road have experienced them within the parameters of the law, we are all prone to momentary lapses of reason. Observing the rules of the road has two benefits: We are all ambassadors to the sport and, on occasion that disregard is the cause of the accident itself. Ride safe.
Sadly, there are cycling turds that say, "We ain't doing nothing until drivers change their ways." Right or wrong, how we cyclists behave on the road does impact attitudes that some drivers and people in general have of us. It's ignorant to think otherwise. Such an attitude is one that needs to change--just as drivers' attitudes need to change--if things are to improve on the road.

Reactions: Brian in VA
Video and pictures at website: http://www.themercury.com.au/news/young-cyclist-dies-in-road-crash/story-fnj4f7kx-1226791442994
Young cyclist dies in road crash
  • December 30, 2013 12:00AM
​

A YOUNG man died when his bicycle and a ute collided at Riverside in the north of the state yesterday while the cyclist was taking part in a rowing training session.

The 21-year-old Trevallyn man died about 8.30am when his bike collided with a white Nissan ute.

The accident occurred on a straight stretch of the West Tamar Highway in a 100km/h zone.

Inspector Darren Hopkins said the man was riding with a friend during a training session and the section of road was part of their normal route.

"He was in the left lane of a four-lane highway, that's dual carriageway, about 50cm from the far left of the road when he was struck," Insp Hopkins said. "It doesn't appear the cyclist is at fault."

The stretch of road where the accident occurred is a popular area among cycling enthusiasts.

Insp Hopkins said initial investigations did not suggest drug, alcohol or speed were factors in the accident.

Investigations continue and a report will be given to the coroner.

Tasmania Police said it was important motorists gave cyclists sufficient room on roads and highways.

Motorists are being urged to be patient until they can pass cyclists safely, while cyclists are reminded to ride as far to the left as practical and to be conscious of other road users.

Yesterday's fatality follows the death of an 18-year-old German woman in a single-vehicle accident on Friday that took the state's holiday road toll to two.

The national holiday road toll for the period of midnight on December 23 to midnight on January 3 stood at 14 last night.

Video at the link below:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Car-Hits-Cyclist-238350441.html

Police are investigating the scene of an early morning accident in Upper Merion, where a motorist hit a cyclist Wednesday.

A medical helicopter transported a cyclist to the hospital after he was hit by a motorist in the early morning hours on New Year's Day.

Police say a car hit the victim while he rode his bike on the 800 block of Schuylkill River Road in Upper Merion just after 4 a.m.

He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, according to police. His condition is unknown at this time.

The crash destroyed the bike and smashed the sedan's windshield.

Officers plan on questioning the driver, who did stop when the accident occurred.

Stay with NBC10 for more on this developing story.

Touring cyclist hit by car in Canterbury RACHEL YOUNG Last updated 15:55 28/12/2013

A cyclist has serious head injuries after being hit from behind by a car in Canterbury.

A police spokesman said crash happened on State Highway 1, near the intersection of Grays Rd, near Amberley about 12:45pm.

A Westpac Rescue Helicopter spokesman said they transported a 59-year-old cyclist to Christchurch Hospital.

It appeared the man was hit from behind by the car causing him to fly about 10 metres through the air, he said.

It was understood the man and his partner, who are from the North Island, were doing a cycle tour of the South Island.

The couple were riding single file, had helmets on and were wearing the appropriate gear, the spokesman said.

A Canterbury District Health Board spokeswoman said the man was in a serious, but stable, condition.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9559932/Touring-cyclist-hit-by-car-in-Canterbury

Two charged after cyclist killed in hit-run at Lower Inman Valley near Victor Harbor
  • by: BEN HYDE, ANDREW HOUGH, KATRINA STOKES
  • December 28, 2013 10:45PM

KATHLEEN Heraghty had selflessly devoted her life to helping others, particularly new mothers facing the pressures associated with parenthood.

But the "wonderful and caring" nurse, 48, of Beulah Park, was killed in an alleged hit-run crash while on a training ride on the outskirts of Victor Harbor on Friday.

She was out for a ride with her husband and a friend, but riding at some distance ahead of them on the Fleurieu Peninsula, when she was struck from behind by a passing car.

The mother-of-three died at the scene on Inman Valley Rd, about five kilometres from Victor Harbor, despite frantic efforts of local residents and her doctor partner Brian Peat.

As revealed on Advertiser.com.au, Ms Heraghty was a respected Women's and Children's Hospital [WCH] midwife, a leading lactation consultant and a breastfeeding counsellor for more than 15 years.

Her grieving husband, a senior WCH obstetrician, led tributes to his wife of nearly two decades, who he said had dedicated her career to helping others.

Devastated friends and colleagues also paid tribute tonight to a "dedicated" and "amazing" woman who had worked tirelessly to help new mothers.

Dr Peat, who was being comforted by friends at the couple's eastern suburbs home, had come across the scene on a flat, straight stretch of the road between five and 10 minutes after the crash, which occurred as they were training for the Victor Harbor Triathlon.

While too distraught to speak at length, he described his wife as a wonderful woman.

"She was devoted to her family and a terrific woman," he told the Sunday Mail. "She was struck down by a one-in-a-million [crash]. She touched everybody."
The driver of a dark-coloured 2002 Holden Commodore sedan is accused of fleeing the scene shortly after the accident at 10.45am.

Ms Heraghty, who has three teenage children aged 14, 16, and 18, emigrated from Scotland - where several relatives remain - to Sydney in 1993 before marrying the following year.
The couple moved to Adelaide about 12 years ago before they quickly settled into life and became leading members of the South Australian health profession.

In 2006 she wrote to The Advertiser of her pride of state schools and urged the government to properly fund them.

Ms Heraghty, educated at Glasgow University, was appointed the Australian Breastfeeding Association [ABA] SA/NT branch president in January, combining it with her hospital work.
Shocked ABA volunteers, who learned of her death this morning, described her as a "wonderful caring" and "truly amazing" woman.

She educated and supported breastfeeding women locally and through a national helpline as well as supporting almost 1000 local volunteers and staff.

"Her dedication to breastfeeding women was unsurpassed," said ABA national president Rachel Fuller. "Her lovely warm voice touched many families.

"Whether it was through her work as a midwife or almost 20 years of volunteer work counselling breastfeeding families, she had a way that not only calmed people but encouraged them.

"Kathleen's death will be a huge loss. A truly amazing woman gone to soon. Our hearts go out to her family." She was instrumental in planning the ABA 50th birthday celebrations next year.

Women's and Children's Health Network executive director of Acute Services, Scott Williams, said staff were devastated at losing a "dedicated and valued" colleague and were being offered counselling.

"This is an inexplicable and terrible tragedy for Kathleen's family and friends and our hearts go out to her husband and children at this very sad time," he said.
Ms Heraghty, who loved cycling, was due to enter the Victor Harbor triathlon for a fourth time in March.

Race director Sid James, 55, who is a quadriplegic as a result of his own cycling accident 20 years ago, has been left shocked and vowed to ensure vehicles would not been near the 1600 competitors.

"Triathlons is a dangerous sport but under certain conditions, it is a safe sport," he said.

"...When there's cars on the road, cars are bigger than bikes."

Bicycle SA chief executive officer Christian Haag said the incident was a tragic reminder of cyclists' vulnerabilities and the need to share the road, adding that the upcoming Tour Down Under would lead to more cyclists on the road.

Major Crash investigators have charged a Queensland woman, 37, with causing death by dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident.
Another man, 47, from Collinswood, has also been charged with fleeing the scene.

She was refused bail and is due to appear in the Christies Beach Magistrates Court tomorrow. Her passenger will appear at court at a later date.
Mrs Heraghty's death takes the state's road toll to 97, compared with 91 at the same time last year.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/two-charged-after-cyclist-killed-in-hitrun-at-lower-inman-valley-near-victor-harbor/story-fni6uo1m-1226790599362

Video at link below. Cyclist Dies After Getting Hit Crossing Northern Lights Blvd
Police say cyclist was headed south over Northern Lights
Matthew-Smith.jpg
Matthew F Smith, Digital Producer, [email protected] POSTED: 04:45 PM AKST Jan 02, 2014 UPDATED: 06:31 PM AKST Jan 02, 2014

ANCHORAGE -
A cyclist is dead after being hit by a car near a busy intersection in midtown Anchorage.
More from KTUU
Anchorage police responded to a call of a bicyclist struck by a car on Northern Light Boulevard Thursday afternoon. Police report the cyclist was traveling southbound, crossing Northern Lights, when he was struck in the middle lane by a gray Subaru heading west.

Police and medics responded to the scene to find the man who was riding the bicycle unconscious. Anchorage police spokesperson Jennifer Castro said the cyclist was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Just after 3 p.m. police closed two lanes of westbound traffic on Northern Lights, reducing traffic to just one lane.
Castro says in a release that the case remains under investigation.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/cyclist-dies-after-getting-hit-crossing-midtown-intersection/-/21043658/23747610/-/7ilv1k/-/index.html

11 January 2014 Last updated at 05:41 ET