Is road cycling dangerous?

Our friend...the Mother Teresa of the Unitarian Utilitarian Universal Church...has pleaded NOT guilty in the death of the cyclist she ran over and then fled the scene (Felony Fleeing)...while totally blotto at 3X the legal limit.

No...you can't make this **** up.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/episcopal-bishop-heather-cook-pleads-not-guilty-fatal-hit-run-n334756

Maryland Bishop Heather Cook Pleads Not Guilty in Fatal Hit-and-Run

Maryland 's first female Episcopal bishop, charged in the December fatal hit-and-run of a bicyclist, pleaded not guilty to manslaughter on Thursday.

Bishop Heather Cook is accused of striking and killing Baltimore cyclist Thomas Palermo, 41, with her station wagon while she was inebriated and texting two days after Christmas last year. Cook's blood-alcohol content was 0.22 — nearly three times the legal limit — according to NBC affiliate WBAL.

Cook, 58, fled the scene before returning approximately half an hour later, according to a statement released by the Episcopal Church of Maryland in February. Palermo was taken to the hospital, where he later died of his injuries.

The bishop, once the second-highest ranking member of the diocese, is now facing more than a dozen charges, including vehicular manslaughter, driving under the influence of alcohol, reckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

Cook appeared in Baltimore City Circuit Court early Thursday and pleaded not guilty by default, her lawyer said. The trial was set to start on June 4.
"By inference that we got a trial date, that in essence is a not guilty plea at this time," attorney David Irwin told NBC News. "There's always a chance between now and then that it could be resolved."

"It' a horrible situation — everybody understands that," he added.

During the brief court proceeding, the Palermo family sat right behind Cook, WBAL reported.

"We know this is the first step in a long process, so we are looking forward to having this resolved and to see justice," Alisa Rock, Palermo's sister-in-law, said in a statement outside the courthouse.

Cook was immediately placed on administrative leave following the incident, according to the diocese, and has requested that she resign.

Maryland Bishop Eugene Taylor Sutton didn't believe the incident was a true "hit-and-run," saying in an email obtained by NBC News in December: "Bishop Cook did leave the scene initially, but returned after about 20 minutes to take responsibility for her actions."

The bishop has been free on $2.5 million bail and had entered an alcohol rehab program, according to the diocese. She was previously arrested on DUI charges in 2010.

Posturing for a plea agreement.Meanwhile: My hit and run amendment has been placed behind the budget by the house finance committee.

I thought she would confess.

No I didn't.

She lives across a river named de Nile.

Anything can be dangerous. It's all about taking precautions and being as safe as you can when you're out there

Anything can be dangerous. It's all about taking precautions and being as safe as you can when you're out there

Driving a car is the 4th leading cause of death in the US, right after cancer and heart disease. It is considerably higher than the stats even for violent crime. If you drive, you have a 1 in 3 chance of being involved in a car accident at some point. 1 in 20 will be involved in a serious injury-accident.

Your chances of being involved in an injury-accident with a car at some point are only 1 in 100, and 80% of these are due to unsafe riding. And of these, less than 20% involve serious injury or fatality. (Statistics from the U.S. Dept of Transportation, 2013).

You can tell your mother that the odds are definitely in your favor......

I have been riding for over 50 years, and have yet to have a single accident involving a moving car. The only incidents I have had with cars is when the idiots open their car doors after parking ​without checking the rearview mirror first, causing me to smack into them. Embarrassing, but hardly life-threatening.

sammyjay said:
I know this question is subject to some variables, but I want to know if road cycling is dangerous if you follow the rules. My mom thinks it is quite dangerous, and has come up with all sorts of things that could happen, such as getting attacked by bears or wolves, getting knocked off the road by the wind coming off of a semi(I don't think that is very likely), getting hit by a drunk driver, or getting hit by someone who isn't paying attention and is on the wrong side of the road. Do you think that any of these things is very likely? All of her concerns are valid except probably the part about the wind of a semi knocking me off the road, but drunk drivers are rare around here, and I don't see either wolves or bears attacking me, and I have never seen anyone driving on the wrong side of the road badly enough to hit me. The only thing I saw that was very dangerous was someone driving down a hill in the middle of the road pulling a piece of farm equipment that took up the entire road, but that is quite rare. Do you guys think that road cycling is dangerous enough that I shouldn't do it at all?

Nathan
I think it is dangerous especially if you are in a state that does not have laws that respect cyclist. Certain parts of Michigan have lanes for cyclist. Also, you have to yield to cyclist. Texas is a different story.

This is something I struggle with almost daily. We know that everything has risks, but I think the perception of greater risks while cycling is because cyclist are exposed. Also, drivers are often careless and disrespectful to cyclists. Road cycling would be much safer with better roads that accommodate cyclists and more caution on the part of drivers .

Yes, I don't care what anyone says, it is extremely dangerous. The fact that you are right beside CARS. In my experience cars have come so close to me, they almost killed me. This is not even an uncommon occurrence. Just be very careful when you are riding on a road with cars.

Rednecks spouting obscentiies in Coal Burning trucks with gun racks do not scare me. They see me. No risk there.

Tatto'd hippie chicks in Priuses texting are my Black Swan event.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Inside our village, road cycling is okay because it is safer. But outside in the main throughfare is another story. There are speeding motorcycles, fast trucks and other vehicles that my hit you without warning. However, road cycling in groups will give you the courage and feeling of safety because vehicles tend to avoid you.

Crossing the street, leaving your house and being in a car are all dangerous. That said it is a mothers job to be concerned. My mother was the same way when I was younger. Follow safety precautions, obey the law, and pay attention to your surroundings. That is the best you can do right?

It really all depends on the type of the environment that your driving in. If you plan on riding during night time I suggest that you buy reflective attire , and also I recommend that you buy reflectors for your bike. If you plan on riding during the day time you should be good, just watch out for traffic.

Wow long Sub took me ages to get through it. Essentially I am seeing way more points saying cycling is actually safer! Especially for safety conscious bikers.

I think it should not be considered dangerous. If you follow the rules you will find yourself enjoying road cycling. I prefer you do not cycle at high speeds since you may crash with congested traffic. When you get used to it, you will find out that there is no danger at all. Remember to wear your full gear before going cycling.

Cycling is actually dangerous no matter where you do it - main road, side streets, city, rural, private compound. Being 2 wheeled, the bike is a risk and injuries are common. Speaking of danger, biking or cycling is a dangerous activity. A film director and her husband went on a vacation in Baguio City, a cool place in the mountains with zigzag roads. One morning, the husband got his bike and started cycling for exercise. He fell on the ravine and was dead on the spot. So there.

It's definitely extremely dangerous. The level of danger also depends on the cyclist... When you're riding reckless, there's definitely a higher chance of an accident. Cycling is definitely dangerous, but it's also extremely fun and satisfying. :)

I needs me some entourage! And a bunch of guys in sunglasses with machineguns...and a doctor...and a couple of helos constantly overhead...and hookers! I gots to have me some hookers!

No worries, folks! Obamacare will cover all this! Wait...no. It won't.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/05/31/410952252/john-kerry-flown-to-swiss-hospital-after-bicycle-accident?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

John Kerry Breaks Leg In Bicycle Accident Outside Geneva

May 31, 2015 6:46 AM ET

Camila Domonoske

Updated at 7:40 a.m. EDT

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has broken his leg in a bike crash outside of Geneva, the Associated Press reports.
He will be flying back to Boston, calling off the rest of his four-nation diplomatic trip.

The crash occurred near Sconzier, France, not far from Geneva, where Kerry has been holding nuclear talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. Kerry often takes bike rides while he's traveling.

A physician and a paramedic were on the scene as part of Kerry's motorcade, and the secretary of state was transported by helicopter to Geneva's main hospital, where he was examined. The AP, citing State Department spokesman John Kirby, said Kerry did not lose consciousness and is in stable condition.

The wire service continues:

A paramedic traveling with his motorcade immediately examined the secretary after his bike apparently hit a curb, causing the fall, Kirby said. ...
Kerry had planned to travel later Sunday to Madrid for meetings with Spain's king and prime minister, before spending two days in Paris for an international conference on combating the Islamic State group.