Is road cycling dangerous?

We just had a local arrested and charged with his 11th DUI. Convicted something like 8 of the previous times. Has done multiple jail sentences and had no license, no insurance. And no brain.

There are those that are so broken they cannot be fixed. They do not belong among us.

Just...**** it.

Not guilty verdict for motorist who killed two bicyclists in crash leads group to hold rally

Published: March 10, 2016 - 11:37 AM | Updated: March 10, 2016 - 11:38 AM

Not guilty verdict for motorist who killed two bicyclists in crash leads group to hold rally March 10,2016 04:38 PM GMT Beacon Journal Publishing Co.

A bicyclist advocacy group plans to host a rally in Brecksville on Saturday to raise awareness about what its members perceive as mistreatment by motorists.

“There is a culture of forgiveness for careless motorists when the opposite should be happening,” said Bike Cleveland Executive Director Jacob VanSickle. “We need to establish a culture that insists on responsibility for one’s actions.”

The rally, which is being held at 11 a.m. in Brecksville’s Town Center, comes in the wake of the acquittal last month of Timothy Wolf, who was found not guilty by a jury on two counts of vehicular homicide in Garfield Heights Municipal Court. Wolf was accused of killing two bicyclists, Matthew Billings and Jim Lambert, in a September crash. Wolf told investigators he could not see the bicyclists because the sun’s glare temporarily blocked his vision.

The families and friends of Billings and Lambert are expected to speak at the rally, and Bike Cleveland will share bicycle safety tips with attendees.

VanSickle said motorists too often are given asylum because of generations of car culture and because the public attempts to blame bicyclists in crashes between cars and bikes.

“The value of a person is not diminished merely because they choose an alternative mode of transportation to a car,” VanSickle said. “People on bikes are valuable members of our society: mothers and fathers, friends and family.”

Click here to read or leave a comment(s) on this story.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news...45%2fnews%2fohio%2fcss%2fresults.css%2frk%3d0

Timothy Wolf, man charged for fatal bike crash that killed 2, acquitted of all charges
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...ed-for-fatal-bike-crash-involvement-acquitted
newsnet5.com staff
7:30 PM, Feb 25, 2016
9:04 PM, Feb 25, 2016
bike2_1442535429394_24122890_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

BRECKSVILLE, Ohio - A man charged for his involvement in a fatal bike crash was acquitted in court on Thursday.

According to Attorney Hector G. Martinez at The Martinez Firm, the jury for Timothy Wolf's case returned with a not guilty verdict. Wolf was acquitted of all charges, including aggravated vehicular homicide and operation in willful or wanton disregard of safety.

The deadly crash happened on Sept. 17, 2015 when a group of bike riders were struck by a pick-up-truck on Snowville Road.

Matthew Billings, 33, died at the scene of the crash. James Lambert, 52, died on Sept. 25.

Bike Cleveland was not happy with the verdict, stating the defense 'attempted to complicate and distort a simple truth: two people are dead because of the reckless actions of another.'

Read the full statement from Bike Cleveland here:

TIMOTHY WOLF KILLED TWO PEOPLE – FOUND NOT GUILTY
It has been a sobering experience sitting in on the trial over Timothy Wolf, the driver charged with two counts of vehicular homicide, and one count of wanton disregard of public safety over the deaths of Matthew Billings and Jim Lambert in Brecksville last September. Today, the Jury returned a not guilty verdict on the case. Throughout proceedings, the defense attempted to complicate and distort a simple truth: two people are dead because of the reckless actions of another. They achieved this by citing mitigating circumstances such as sun glare and repeatedly calling the crash an “accident.”

More insidious arguments were put forth that not only alleviated blame from Wolf, but shifted it to the deceased victims themselves. Were they wearing brightly colored clothes? Did they have lights? How fast were they going? These subversive tactics successfully undermined the fact that Wolf made an illegal left turn by failing to yield to oncoming traffic, and had he not made that turn, Billings and Lambert would still be alive; a fact Mr. Wolf admitted to during his testimony in the trial.

We vehemently disagree with the defense’s tactics because if we were to follow them to their logical conclusion, there would be a mandate that says all cars be painted a bright color and have daytime running lights to improve their visibility. The cyclists were riding within their rights and within the law when they were struck by Mr. Wolf. Mr. Wolf broke the law, not the cyclists. Mr. Wolf made an error in judgement when he made an illegal left turn, not the cyclists.

All too often the dangerous actions of people in cars are diminished, both through passive cultural means inherited over generations of car culture, and actively by those who attempt to shift the blame to the victims of crashes that could have been avoided if only people took the act of driving a 4000lbs vehicle capable of great destruction more seriously.

Throughout the proceedings, Mr. Wolf appeared visibly remorseful, and the narrative of “punishing a remorseful man doesn’t do anyone any good” will surely ensue. We disagree. While we wish Mr. Wolf no ill-will, being sorry for your actions does not excuse you from being accountable to them. By failing to acknowledge Mr. Wolf’s guilt, we have once more reinforced the culture of blamelessness that exacerbates a serious problem our society faces: thousands of people die every year on our roads. In 2015, twenty-six people on bikes lost their lives, this is the highest number in 20 years. This has to stop!

We thank the Brecksville Police and Brecksville City Prosecutor Sergio DiGeronimo for their professionalism and diligence with this case, and again express our condolences to the friends and family of Matt, Jim, and all the others who were impacted by this tragedy.

It is seriously regrettable that justice was not served in a way that the people we know would have liked, and we can only hope that although the verdict was “not-guilty”, that Mr. Wolf, and anyone aware of this case has been fundamentally altered by it. You carry a serious burden of responsibility when you get behind the wheel. You must take it seriously.

Not a single outraged comment on how ****ing retarded Ohio drivers/voters/jury members are??? Not one?

I hang my head in shame.

Damn...there's a flashing red tail light that was blasted off one of the bicycles still flashing in the roadway in the above picture.

I have done Brevets with these four and a couple weeks earlier was on a 400K with two of them (Lynn and Mike) who did the "short" 300K portion of the ride. (I don't remember meeting one of the riders but we were one a brevet together)

They are extremely safe, skillful, and careful riders. Flashing lights, reflectors, and 'rando' reflector vests. These are accomplished riders. If I remember one discussion with Lynn, she successfully completed PacTour Elite and I think I read that she had had some 12 and 24 hour records in the past. PacTour Elite is one way to qualify for Race Across America and basically entails riding 16 straight back to back double centuries at no less than 15 mph average speed. I had only ridden with Mike once but to show what kind of guy he is, he remembered me. At the early Rando start time I was sitting trying to warm up in the hotel, he was outside talking jovially and he bangs on the window to me and smiles hugely and mouths hello. In case nobody knows, Mike Dayton was the President of Randonneurs USA for the past 3 years and has been a bicycle safety advocate.

The lady who mowed them down is a criminal on probation for felony drug possession who inexplicably was not tested for any substance abuse after she ran these fine cyclists down. This crash really has me spooked.

I had an 18 wheeler pull out of a driveway right in front of me the other day. I was in the middle of a hard interval on my TT bike doing 29-30 mph and although I was not weaving, I was straining hard riding to the right of the fog line on the shoulder. I luckily jammed the brakes on and veered into the grassy ****. Low and behold, the driver pulls over about a mile up (the property was a horse farm and he was doing something with hay). I asked him if he saw me. He says, "I saw you. You were riding like an asshole" I say...you saw me? "Yes, you cyclists are assholes" and he walks away from me. I follow him and he says "Don't you dare come after me" and I tell him there were no other vehicles on the road, you almost kill me, and that I had the right of way. I told him I just barely escaped getting run over. He calls me more names and says he did not hit me. I said yes and fortunately I slammed the brakes on and just missed your truck. He walks away from me. Another guy pulls up with the front end loader with forklift attachment and wants to know what was going on. He was the owner. I told him the whole incident and from his perspective, it was no big deal because I was not actually hit. I told him that he needed to fire that driver because if he had killed me, my estate would own his horse farm. I was relatively calm and did not curse (surprisingly). I should have photo'd the truck and plate and maybe reported him to his commercial insurance carrier. I don't know what else to have done.

Not a single outraged comment on how ****ing retarded Ohio drivers/voters/jury members are??? Not one?

I hang my head in shame.

It is like open season on cyclists.

In some states, the penalty for negligently running over a cyclist? A ticket. $49

http://wncn.com/2016/02/22/was-she-...s-after-driver-hits-4-johnston-co-bicyclists/

‘Was she texting?’ injured bike rider asks after driver hits 4 Johnston Co. bicyclists

By David Hurst, WNCN News Published: February 22, 2016, 7:09 pm Updated: February 23, 2016, 9:17 am
johnston-county-bicyclists-hit-4.jpg

Joel Arthur Lawrence, who was one of four bicyclists hit.
ANGIER, N.C. (WNCN) — Four bicyclists are recovering after they were hit from behind by a driver in Johnston County on Saturday.

UPDATE: Woman who hit 4 cyclists in Johnston Co. was on probation for drug charges

Two cyclists hit by a car Saturday in Angier have been released from the hospital, while two other riders hit remain in WakeMed’s Intensive Care Unit.

MORE NEWS: 2 cyclists released, 2 in ICU at WakeMed after getting hit by car in Johnston Co.

The cyclists, three men and one woman, were hit around 2:45 p.m. on Massengill Pond Road near Sue Drive, officials said.

The four bicyclists all suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were identified as Christopher Graham, 34, Joel Arthur Lawrence, 57, Lynn Lashley, 57, and Michael Dayton, 60, according to officials.

Lawrence, who lives in High Point, has been released from the hospital with very minor injuries. Chris Graham, of Durham, was released from the hospital with a broken pelvis and bone chips in his knee and ankle.

Lynn Lashley, who suffered multiple broken bones, and Mike Dayton, who has been unconscious since the crash, are both still listed in critical condition.

Lawrence, who spoke to WNCN on Skype from his home in High Point, says all four bicyclists were riding in a single file line on the far right side of the road when they were hit.

“We were all wearing safety reflector vests, we all have blinking tail lights,” said Lawrence. “We’re very deliberate and we all have lots of experience. Why she hit us, I don’t know.”

Lawrence says they were traveling a route called the “Carolina Crossroads,” created by Dayton. The route takes them from Downtown Raleigh, through Benson and they turn-around in Godwin. They claim the route is very bike-friendly.

“All the roads are very quiet and there’s hardly any traffic,” said Jerry Phelps, who knows and rides with all four of the victims. “It’s just hard to believe that this happened, especially to those four.”

Donnie Marie Williams, the driver in the crash, did stop at the scene after the crash, officials said.

Williams’ daughter came to the scene and told WNCN that her mother, who was driving, didn’t see the bicyclists until it was too late.

Her mom was too distraught to speak. The daughter, Tiffany McElveen, says her mother was coming up over the hill and didn’t see the cyclists. A car was passing in the other direction and she panicked.

“…she didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know whether to hit the other car or to try to miss the bicyclists,” McElveen said.

McElveen said that her mother was “hysterical” when she called her to the scene.

“I really could hardly understand her. She just kept saying ‘Tiffany I hit somebody, I hit somebody.’ She said ‘come down here, come down here.’ I said ‘where you at’. She told me like ten times, but I couldn’t understand what she was saying because she was so hysterical,” Tiffany McElveen said of her mother, who was not injured.

However, Lawrence questions McElveen’s account of the crash. He claims he never saw a car coming the other way.

“Was she texting? Was she fiddling around with something else? Was it just a moment when she looked one way or another? I don’t know,” said Lawrence. “In my own opinion, she probably hit all four of us before she realized that she hit anybody.”

Troopers are consulting with prosecutors about what kind of charges to file against the driver. They say they’re still looking into if the driver was texting or using her phone, but say alcohol and speed were not factors in the crash.

“I’m not going to judge her because I wasn’t in her shoes, but it just seems completely ridiculous that that was her only choice was to hit four people,” said Phelps.

That is a really sad picture, what happens to a driver to hit so many bikers like that? We should get to the bottom of this to prevent it from happening in the future...

I don't know what else to have done.

My advice as to the course of action would have resulted in dental work for the driver and a misdemeanor charge for simple assault (possibly reduced to disorderly conduct?) for you.

Anything is dangerous when it comes down to it. The best thing that you can do is take precaution and account for yourself and hope that others are doing the same, which is certainly not always the case though as we all know. I would say that with experience comes the ability to avoid these risks.

If you drive like an idiot in the middle of the road, "following the yellow brick road" then yes it is very dangerous and you could get killed for acting like an idiot. If you obey the laws and you are a safe road cycler, then it wouldn't be very dangerous at all depending on how safe you ride.

WTF? Did you even bother reading about all the above discussed riders that were doing absolutely NOTHING wrong and yet were killed or injured while cycling?

WTF? Did you even bother reading about all the above discussed riders that were doing absolutely NOTHING wrong and yet were killed or injured while cycling?

Same stupid argument people have about driving....Some think "i'm a good driver, i'll be safe"...We can never control the other persons driving.

I think some Cyclist don't always use the best judgment and aren't defensive enough. Just last week, I saw multiple cyclist riding on a 55 mph route(where people easily go 70 mph) at 5:30 in the afternoon in glare....Their are so many slow country roads to get to the same destination, but people like to do thing "because they can". These cyclist aren't breaking any laws(except the fools I see driving the wrong way),but are headlines waiting to happen. I can see it now "Texting teen pleads to manslaughter in cyclist death".

Well, I don't think that cycling is dangerous if you follow the rules. We just need to take care of the rules made by the government. I mean that our habit matters and it's our responsibility to take care of ourselves. Cycling is just safe.

There's risk in everything you do. Before cycling, I did some motocross. So by comparison, I feel a lot safer on my road bike. A lot of it depends on how much risk you take, do you ride on roads or on trails, etc. I have always wondered about road vs. MTB. I recently read something (can't remember where) that said while road injuries can be more severe (due to cars), MTB injuries are much more common - and they concluded that overall, MTB was the more dangerous discipline. Thought that was interesting.

Anything can be dangerous so some degree. That is why you take precautions. It's pretty common to see road cycling these days and everyone just needs to be more cautious to prevent any casualties.

Yes, it is. So are many other activities. Use good judgement, pay attention to things around you, watch out for the "other guy", and you shouldn't have to worry any more than most other endeavors.