Is road training really needed for MTB racer

mirek

Oct 8, 2003
Hi everybody!

I started to read this forum a couple of months ago and I found it very helpful. I like the way theory is applied into everyday practice here. Now I got my little problem.

I'm a MTB biker, rather beginner but I got some racing experiences already. Next year I plan to start in MTB marathons, medium distances like 50-60km. The question is: do I really need to train on the road? Some say that road training is essential for MTB racing, but I just hate it. I live in mountains so I love to ride the way my XC bike is supposed to ride ;)

Well, for me the road is OK, when it leads up to the hill and then I can go down away from the road training some DH which is also important for me. The way to the nearest hill lasts for about half an hour so I practice some intervals there, both shorter for VO2max and longer like LT for all the way. Actually, when going further I can go on the road up to 1 and half an hour before I reach destination and then go on terrain.

So, do I really need some specific kind of training on the flat road? If so, why?

Mirek

As a fellow mtber I hear your cry. I have learned to love the road (but on a road bike) partially beacuse road racing is a blast and scares the **** out of me more than any mtb race. Anyway, can you still compete well on the mtb circuit and not train on the roads? If you have enough trails in your area it's possible. I don't have any trails within 45min so I have to train on the road.

One of benifits of on the road training is that you can keep your heart rate (or wattage) at a more contstant rate. One of my favorite workouts is a good 4-5 hour flat road ride where I peg my HR at 75% and keep it there. I only do it once or twice every month but it helps.

Basicly, if you have enough variety of trails you'll be fine just training on your mtb. In fact, consistantly riding on trails can't do anything but help you get comforatable during those long endurance races. As EM once said when asked about how he trains, "I ride my bike, a lot"

It is generally accepted amongst my MTB racer friends (one of whom was in the Australian World Championship squad) that road training and road racing is a necessity for good MTB performance. The road is a much better controlled environment, where training stress can be applied in an ordered manner.

The repeated knocks impacts on your body whilst on trails and the incresed likelyhood of crashing on the MTB mean that it might not always be healthy to train on the MTB! Except, of course, for your handling skills.

Thanks for your input. Now I have an example from real life.

My friend just moved from MTB to road training and said, that base, aerobical training in november cannot be done on trails, "you should stay away from the mountains!".

I started to think about it and I analyzed the data from my heart monitor from different mountain excursions and this is what I found: From 100% total time only 5 to 15% is spent in anaerobic zones. The rest, namely 85 to 95% is aerobical, although it constantly moves up and down within the limits of the zone.

Now, can this kind of activity be defined as aerobical, volume or base training? Oh, I hope so. And if this is so, there's no need to do to it on the road. Am I right?

And, what about this 5 to 15% time in anaerobic pace. Can this "contaminate" the whole aerobic session? Can this ruin the training aims? Now I hope it can't. I love the thread about "doing to much speedwork" cause there I found the statement, that "(almost all) benefits of BASE training, can be acheived with heavy, maximal and supermaximal efforts in a lot less time on the bike" (by 2Lap).

If 2Lap is right, that it is even better for me. Am I right (or not) again?

mirek