Is running 1 mile only, along with hill walking, a reasonable workout plan?

Sylvia

Guest
Hello experts -

My knees aren't that strong, so I'm not interested in running long distances. But I would get a big
kick out of being able to run one mile, relatively quickly. So, my plan is to work out on my
treadmill, one workout being about 25 minutes of hill walking, using the heart rate monitor to keep
my heart rate up to about 165, then the other workout being running one mile (with 10 minutes of
walking before and after that). I just today was able for the first time to run one mile at a 5 mph
pace - which for me is great. I also take a break day between each workout day.

I'd like to bring my one mile pace down to about 8 or 9 minutes, or whatever is reasonable for me
(I'm a 36 year old woman).

Thoughts? Is this plan reasonable? Will I be able to get my 1 mile time down?

Thanks for any advice! Sylvia

for 1 mile slounds good . but if u get the bug - runnnig bug - u will havce to change 'plodzilla

[email protected] (sylvia) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello experts -
>
> My knees aren't that strong, so I'm not interested in running long distances. But I would get a
> big kick out of being able to run one mile, relatively quickly. So, my plan is to work out on my
> treadmill, one workout being about 25 minutes of hill walking, using the heart rate monitor to
> keep my heart rate up to about 165, then the other workout being running one mile (with 10 minutes
> of walking before and after that). I just today was able for the first time to run one mile at a 5
> mph pace - which for me is great. I also take a break day between each workout day.
>
> I'd like to bring my one mile pace down to about 8 or 9 minutes, or whatever is reasonable for me
> (I'm a 36 year old woman).
>
> Thoughts? Is this plan reasonable? Will I be able to get my 1 mile time down?
>
> Thanks for any advice! Sylvia

Eventually, to increase your speed, you'll benefit from going a longer distance. Right now you say
you do about 30minutes total, which is great (10min. walk before and after, plus a 12minute mile
in between).

You didn't mention how often you do the workouts. For now you should keep to alternate days. Rest is
about as important as stress in building fitness.

So I'd suggest maybe two days a week you do the walk/run/walk workout. (the third day being your
"hill" workout) Go by time rather than speed, say 10 minutes each part for 30min. total. Gradually
(over several weeks) you can increase the portion of the run until you can run the entire 30minutes.
Only then should you consider your speed per mile. You are building a base of fitness.

Now how fast will you eventually be able to go? You won't know until you try. But don't be in a rush
to get to 8minute per mile pace.

Welcome to running. Hope to hear more from you. Ed