Is Scandium right for me?

John P. Wilkin

Guest
I'm really looking for general (not specifically scandium advice), so please feel free to offer
generally.

I'm relatively light (155lbs) and tall (6ft), have raced extensively including cyclocross in Europe
20 years ago, and now ride only recreationally, but hard. Probably because of my weight and style of
riding (good climber, miserable sprinter), I've never owned a bike that was too spongy or yielding.
The last bike I raced (19 years ago), for example, was a Vitus, and it was stiff enough for me. I
think I'm really more interested in "light" than "stiff". Advice? Thanks!

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (John P.
Wilkin) wrote:

> I'm really looking for general (not specifically scandium advice), so please feel free to offer
> generally.
>
> I'm relatively light (155lbs) and tall (6ft), have raced extensively including cyclocross in
> Europe 20 years ago, and now ride only recreationally, but hard. Probably because of my weight and
> style of riding (good climber, miserable sprinter), I've never owned a bike that was too spongy or
> yielding. The last bike I raced (19 years ago), for example, was a Vitus, and it was stiff enough
> for me. I think I'm really more interested in "light" than "stiff". Advice?

Well, from the American perspective, Vitus frames were considered the ne plus ultra of flexibility-
in short, we thought they were noodles. If you found those stiff enough, then you can ride any frame
you want and you'll be fine. :)

Personally, I have always ridden steel and prefer it for its repairability and relatively less
destructive impact on the environemnt in production (although the environmental costs are,
obviously, very high). Now, many people think a pound of steel weighs more than a pound of
unobtanium, but I am not one of those.

I would think you could be quite happy with any aluminum, titanium or carbon fiber frame if you are
really looking to emphasize the "light" part of the equation. There are some trade-offs in
repairability which may or may not weigh on your mind. There's lots of sub-18 lbs bikes you could
choose from- and much lighter depending on how much you want to spend.

--
"Of course the people don't want war...that is understood. But voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That's easy. All you have to do is tell them they

Hermann Goering, 1939

John-<< I'm really looking for general (not specifically scandium advice), so please feel free to
offer generally.

<< I'm relatively light (155lbs)

<< I think I'm really more interested in "light" than "stiff". Advice?

Lightness in a frameset is vastly overblown these days but look at Calfee- great framesets, well
made, ride like a dream-

http://www.calfeedesign.com

remember 'scandium'(scamdium) is just an additive to aluminum. can make it lighter but not
necessarily more durable. If made well, an aluminum frameset can be durable.-

>I'm really looking for general (not specifically scandium advice), so please feel free to offer
>generally.
>
>I'm relatively light (155lbs) and tall (6ft), have raced extensively including cyclocross in Europe
>20 years ago, and now ride only recreationally, but hard. Probably because of my weight and style
>of riding (good climber, miserable sprinter), I've never owned a bike that was too spongy or
>yielding. The last bike I raced (19 years ago), for example, was a Vitus, and it was stiff enough
>for me. I think I'm really more interested in "light" than "stiff". Advice?

Find a bike that fits from a reputable manufacturer. The material is really not important as along
as it is used properly, that is where the reputable manufaturer comes in.