Is Shimano still inferior to Campagnolo? (nt)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Acrosound, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Acrosound

    Acrosound Guest

    Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
    the years?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Acrosound) wrote:

    > Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
    > the years?

    In certain technical ways brand S is superior to Campy.

    Campy fans will tell you that their shifters are rebuildable, while Shimano ones are not. This is
    true, but most people seem to get great mileage out of either system.

    In my opinion, the biggest difference would be whether you like the ergonomics and aesthetics of
    campy shifters or shimano shifters better.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Acrosound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or
    have
    > they improved over the years?

    Reasonable men differ on that. There are various criteria, some of which will lead you to
    Campagnolo, other ways of viewing the issue will make Shimano more attractive.

  4. B

    B Guest

    >Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it?

    No. Shimano and Campy both have good parts at their respective price ranges. B B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  5. On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:53:41 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Acrosound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or
    >have
    >> they improved over the years?
    >
    >Reasonable men differ on that. There are various criteria, some of which will lead you to
    >Campagnolo, other ways of viewing the issue will make Shimano more attractive.

    Campagnolo Record is far more expensive than Shimano Dura Ace, so obviously Campy is way better.

    (The real answer, IMHO, lies in not wanting a bike to have components from just a single group on
    it. Mix'n'match.)

    Jasper

  6. acrosound-<< Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they
    improved over the years? >><BR><BR>

    Even I won't respond to this one......

  7. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I have Campy on all my bicycles and recommend that brand highly. I would not call Shimano components
    junk. Among the Shimano components, I'd say that the hubs, cassette system, and brake arches are at
    least as good and likely preferrable to Campy.

    I believe that the ease of repair of Campy is overblown. Ergo levers can be bought for <$125. If you
    are not a do it yourself person, a set of springs, installed will cost $35 and few local shops have
    a clue about how to do it. It usually becomes a $50 job for a citizen. That's a lot of $ for $10 in
    parts. Hoods cost $35. A cableset is $35. In a few years, you will need $120+ in repairs, again
    assumes you are going to a local shop for repairs. Other repair parts are ridiculous to buy. My
    Ergobrain sensor got broken and the replacement is about $80 for a $100 computer.

    On 23 Jun 2003 05:57:27 GMT, [email protected] (Acrosound) wrote:

    >Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
    >the years?

  8. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On 23 Jun 2003 05:57:27 GMT, [email protected] (Acrosound) wrote:

    >Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
    >the years?

    What time period did you thing Campag was better than Shimano? Or vice versa? Any of the quality
    groupsets is an order of magnitude better than they were 10 years ago, regardless of which
    manufacturer you choose, and the third rank groupsets are better than the top end ones were back
    then, certainly in terms of funtionality.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > acrosound-<< Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO
    junk on
    > it? Or have they improved over the years? >><BR><BR>
    >

    > Even I won't respond to this one......
    >
    > Peter Chisholm

    Ummm, yeah...

    Mike

  10. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Acrosound <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
    > the years?

    That's a loaded question!

    Do you still beat your wife? ;->

    Art Harris

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
    >the years?

    Shimano, like other companies, makes a wide range of products. Thier top of th line stuff is
    excellent.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  12. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
    >the years?

    Base the decision primarily on the difference in shifting technique.

    S: both up and downshifts are with finger levers
    T: finger lever for one, thumb lever for the other

    Sure either will do, but you may have a strong preference for one technique over the other.
    Cosmetically, the completely hidden Campy cables are nice.

    Wheels:
    U: arguably more plentiful S hubbed wheels in the USA

    Cog space conversion kits can be had if needed, so this isn't a deal killer.

    Doug

  13. > acrosound-<< Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they

    Peter Chisholm wrote:

    > Even I won't respond to this one......

    Me neither!

    Sheldon "Doesn't Live Under A Bridge" Brown
    | I rise only to say I do not intend to say anything. | I thank you for your kind words and your
    | hearty welcome. | --Ulysses S. Grant |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  14. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Acrosound) wrote:
    >
    > > Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or
    have
    > > they improved over the years?

    Improved compared to what? As far back as I can remember, Shimano stuff has been as "good" as any.

    > In certain technical ways brand S is superior to Campy.

    Yes, but in practice it doesn't make any difference. I haven't heard of a broken rear axle, for
    example, for many years.

    > Campy fans will tell you that their shifters are rebuildable, while Shimano ones are not. This is
    > true, but most people seem to get great mileage out of either system.
    >
    > In my opinion, the biggest difference would be whether you like the ergonomics and aesthetics of
    > campy shifters or shimano shifters better.

    I agree. I have a slight preference for Ergo, but I'd be happy with either one.

    Campy stuff looks better for sure. A few years ago their cheaper lines (like Mirage) were very crude
    looking, but now it all looks great, and better than anything Shimano makes.

    Campy chainrings and cassettes supposedly last longer than Shimano. But even if this is true, it may
    not translate to being cheaper per mile -- Campy stuff tends to be more expensive, or at least never
    "on sale."

    Matt O.

  15. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Shimano, like other companies, makes a wide range of products. Thier top of
    th
    > line stuff is excellent.

    Their bottom of the line stuff is damned good too -- better than top of the line stuff from 15
    years ago.

    Regarding functionality, the Campy vs. Shimano argument has been dead for at least a decade and a
    half. And even back then, the answer was clear which was best -- Suntour!

    Matt O.

  16. In article <[email protected]>, Acrosound <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
    >the years?

    Just about everything has improved over the years. Even $400 Shimano-equipped road bikes are pretty
    amazing compared to a $400 road bike 20 years go.

    Assuming that the Campy gearing options suit you, I would still pick Campy any day and would
    definitely take Chorus over Dura Ace. All the Campy groups from Veloce up to Record are all good.
    Mirage I don't care for due to the flexy plastic brake levers (Mirage... Exage... there is a
    connection there somewhere).

    --Paul

  17. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    <snip>
    > I have Campy on all my bicycles and recommend that brand highly.

    Hmmm.... he likes Campy!

    > I believe that the ease of repair of Campy is overblown. Ergo levers can be bought for <$125. If
    > you are not a do it yourself person, a set of springs, installed will cost $35 and few local shops
    > have a clue about how to do it. It usually becomes a $50 job for a citizen. That's a lot of $ for
    > $10 in parts. Hoods cost $35. A cableset is $35. In a few years, you will need $120+ in repairs,
    > again assumes you are going to a local shop for repairs. Other repair parts are ridiculous to buy.
    > My Ergobrain sensor got broken and the replacement is about $80 for a $100 computer.

    Or does he?

    App

  18. So you state that by just simply being more expensive it must be better?

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Martin Borsje Geleen Netherlands

    news:[email protected]...

  19. On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:38:12 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Do you still beat your wife? ;->

    Psst: "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" -- just rolls better off the tongue.

    Jasper

  20. Ari

    Ari Guest

    for derailleurs, brakes, and integrated shifters/brake levers, I would take campy any day of the
    week. Everything else I would go third party for: bottom bracket, seatpost, cranks. Campy stuff also
    looks nicer and has better resale value. You could buy a used campy record derailleur on ebay for
    $150, use it for a year, then sell it for $150 on ebay.