Is Shimano still inferior to Campagnolo? (nt)

On 26 Jun 2003 14:22:47 -0700, [email protected] (GoCycle) wrote:
>[email protected] (Acrosound) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they improved over
>> the years?
>
>CAMPY "breaks-in"
>
>Shimano "breaks-down'

It's like computers -- nowadays it's damn hard to buy cheap enough junk that it's *not* extremely
fast and fairly serviceable.

Jasper

In article <[email protected]>, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Acrosound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or
> have
> > they improved over the years?
>
> Reasonable men differ on that. There are various criteria, some of which will lead you to
> Campagnolo, other ways of viewing the issue will make Shimano more attractive.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Andrew,

You're so.... balanced! :cool:

Matt Temple

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> acrosound-<< Would I be wasting my money on buying a bike with ShimaNO junk on it? Or have they
> improved over the years? >><BR><BR>
>

> Even I won't respond to this one......

Wuss. --Jimmy

[email protected] (Eagle Jackson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Maybe you should ask, Is Campagnolo still inferior to Shimano?
>
> Campy had a really bad 80's and has been playing catchup to Shimano since. It started with indexed
> shifting. Campy's first take, Synchro, was so bad, mechanics called it Stinkro. The list is long
> where Shimano came out with new advancements and led the market: indexed shifting,
> freehub/cassettes, ramped cogs, brake lever shifting, increased number of gears, dual pivot
> brakes, etc.

...not one of which decreases weight (freehubs excepted), increases reliability or substantially
improves handling of the bicycle.

Shifting is easier, admittedly, especially for novice riders. But until Armstrong, no one had ever
won a Tour de France on Shimano equipment. This says that riders on campy gear were not at a
significant competitive disadvantage, even if in certain respects brand S was marginally better.

Let's not pretend that the changes have been larger than they have.

I'd have to disagree. After converting from STi to ergo shifting a couple of years back, my
experience has been that ergopower downshifting is, if anything, more reliable and *more versatile*
than the STi system. You can slam down several gears with one motion using the thumb paddle while
other riders on STi are twiddling away with their inner levers one gear at a time.

Your comparison between Shimano Sora thumb movement and Campagnolo thumb movement is neither
informed nor relevant. The Sora system is a modification of the existing Shimano design, with
similar internals. It's a cheaper way to manufacture the same thing. Maybe an experiment by S. to
develop a more reliable design without the embarrasment of debuting it at the D-A level? <G>

Personally, every STi lever I ever owned got sloppy and missed shifts eventually. Tried everything:
lubing the guts, reinstalling cables etc. and usually got them working again for awhile, but
ultimately got rid of them before bothering with more of the same. With ergo levers the occasional
missed shift or 'snag' can be remedied by moving the other lever, and it catches itself into a
reliable shift. Ultimately if it's worn out (and what doesn't) you can replace the shift disc or
even upgrade it.

Don't get me wrong Shimano levers usually work great out of the box or on a new bike but you have to
replace the entire lever within a few years of everyday use in most cases. Then again they'll
probably just keep redesigning them so you'll have to do that anyway.

>Everything is improved when you dont need your thumb to shift like on cheap sora AND pricey
>campagnolo

You can have your improvements, I already got mine

> >Everything is improved when you dont need your thumb to shift like on
cheap
> >sora AND pricey campagnolo

Not to mention that for the equivalent (or better) in quality you'll pay less for Campagnolo.
Compare Veloce to 105 or Centaur to Ultegra and then claim that Campagnolo is pricey.